Headphone Suggestion for Lehmann Audio Rhinelander
Apr 13, 2010 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I would like to have some headphone combination suggestion for the Lehmann Audio Rhinelander Amp.
There are too less information for this amp that I can reference from, so would like to ask if you guys got any idea of headphon to pair with this amp.
I mainly use to listen to female vocal.
Cheers.

Apr 13, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #2 of 8
The Rhinelander is like a small brother to my BCL, and is very similar. It depends on how much you are planning to spend, I have heard the Rhinelander with the HD800, K702, HD650/600 and it paired well with all of them. If price is of no concern then HD800 all the way. But taking price into consideration IMHO would put the K70x in first place, and the HD600 in second.

But also your source is very important, the K70x and the HD800 are kind of merciless with a bad source or compressed music, the HD600 is quite forgiving in comparison.

Apr 13, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #3 of 8
Hi Roger (Brb, my name is Roger as well, LOL nice to meet you), thanks for you recommendation, my current source is actually a Cambridge Audio DAC, which is quite a good priced decent source, and I am now considering to get either the HD800 or HD650 with cardas cable, but IMO, HD800 looks a bit weird...so I am also thinking the if the Beyerdynamic T-1 is good with the rhinelander.

I am currently using the K501, quite a good can, but...seems to be lack of something (not really lack of "bass"..but kinda "vigour"

Apr 13, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #4 of 8
Nice meeting you too, funnily my real name isn't Roger, but it is my nickname around the net.

I understand what you said about the 501, I feel kind of the same with the K701, although I think that is due to their relatively weak deep bass. Since you mention that particular characteristic my bet would be in the T1 or maybe the Edition 8. I haven't heard either, but I mention them because from what I've read they have more of that "vidour" that you seem to be looking for than the HD800, although the HD800 have it in the right amount IMO.

I'm a HD650 fan, and giving body to the music is one of their strong points, but female vocals, once again IMO, is not. Anyways it won't be long until someone with T1/E8 or other experience gives their opinion so you can make a better decision, good luck!

Apr 23, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #5 of 8
I tested Lehmann Rhinelander amp, and just jumped back to Black Cube for relief. Big difference. The strange thing is, IMHO, they are probably the same amp, with fully regulated power stage in the latter.

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #6 of 8
I'd say pick you headphones before your amp. Overall you'll derive the most satisfaction from doing this right first. I'd say you'll end up upgrading from the Cambridge too eventually. Is there anywhere you can go, such as a shop, to try headphones? Some places might let you take your amp in with you.

Apr 24, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by anton2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tested Lehmann Rhinelander amp, and just jumped back to Black Cube for relief. Big difference. The strange thing is, IMHO, they are probably the same amp, with fully regulated power stage in the latter.

I was blown away by the Rhinelander whith HD650 and Cambridge840 at an audition. Blew away my XcanV3 + XpsuV3 in no uncertain terms. So I bought the BCL without hesitation if it was no improvement over Rhinelander, then I'd pay more for the better supply.

Assuming the Rhinelander is just as good as the BCL - My BCL drives all my headphones as a reference - HD650,Hd595,K701,D7000. Hums with SE530 iems but sounds fantastic.

Apr 24, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #8 of 8
Seriously, I like the sound of the K501 alot, but in my country, my city....the most isolated city in the world....Western Australia, Perth...I have no choice to choose from, and not much place for me to audit more headphone and amp...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back