headphone suggestion for classical
Oct 27, 2009 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

witness

Head-Fier
i have been using grado rs1 for a while (with little dot mkiii),and i am happy with them. But now i want to buy more "classical" headphone.
-akg k701-2
-sennheiser hd600
-beyerdynamic dt880
in my list,

the important thing is which one has better synergy with little dot mkiii? some user say mkiii is not a good option for akgk701..is this a big problem really?

i read hundred of pages but still can't decide to choose one. especially i'm in doubt with hd600..mid performance really important but what about darker sound character? some details must be loosing because of the character. so what's the effects of classical music?

thanks for the answers..

Oct 27, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 22
Stax phones are IMHO the best for classical. There are different price tiers and you can buy older systems for a good price.

Oct 27, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 22
i am a big fans of Beyers, so i prefer DT880, and get the 600 ohm one if you really want to hear the full potential of it.

Another choice is Sony SA5k, but it will be not good if the recording are not prefect.

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 22
Finally, some people who realize dark sounding headphones are bad for classical. That said, the HD600 has only a hint of darkness/treble roll-off, which some people may think of instead as a more full-bodied sound. I second Stax, though, if you want realism over a colored, euphonic sound.

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 22
The unnatural soundstage is always there, which means it's a coloration. Also, classical does not imply only orchestra. There is also solo and chamber music.

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Think that k702 would shine with no matter what amp because of huge soundstage

I would also recommend the K701/702 (no difference except for colour and detachable cable). The best cans for classical music!

Oct 27, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #9 of 22
Coloration in the sound of akg k702 is pretty similar to unnatural sound of Adam A7 studio monitors !
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 27, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #12 of 22
I love my K701 with classical. Heard that a recabled K702 with xcanv8 rocks. The only flaw with the K702/K701 is a marginally lean midrange at low to moderate volumes. Some of the complex harmonics of strings and woodwinds is deemphasized at low volumes, leading to a marginally anorexic presentation. But the resolution, transparency and Soundstage make up for that flaw.

Oct 27, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #13 of 22
The K-501 stomps the K-701/2 for classical. It has an open, organic and natural sound that is completely lacking in the K-701/2. To me, the K-701 was to music what saccharine is to sugar. They might have a similar sweetness profile, but that lingering artificial aftertaste was something I could never get used to. On the other hand, people guzzle artificial sodas and love artificial flavorings, so maybe the K-701 is an acquired taste. But for me, the K-701 is to my ears what Olestra is to my intestine.

But like I said, the K-501 sounds like the real thing, almost like a baby K-1000 without the soundstage or quite as much extension.

The Sennheiser HD-600 is also a terrific classical headphone, as are the Beyerdynamic DT880 or DT48, and the AKG K-240DF. I love all of them with classical.

Oct 27, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #14 of 22
actually i like rs1 for classical. also i see some weaknesses for this genre. first of all grado rs1 has realism.. and i love this. but especially for big orchestras i feel something is wrong placement of instruments. also i hear some shrillness when violins play sharp. (for example brahms 3. symphony last part)

but for piano and cello solos or string quartets grado rs1 handle it perfectly. rs1 is very fast and realistic headphone no doubt..

i believe hd 600 is easy-listening headphone because of sound character..also has powerful mid performance which is great for classical. but i don't imagine whats the difference between rs1 and hd600 about realism. resolution is really important for me and i believe connected to transparent sound character.

staxes is great but much more expensive then i can effort. my budget is 300-350 dollar .

so i want to buy k702 but is mkiii can really handle it ? or is there any different suggestions for this price range?
thanks,

Oct 27, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #15 of 22
The K501 is a great classical headphone, but it needs some power behind it. The HD600 also does nicely. I prefer it to Beyer or AKG K701.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K-501 stomps the K-701/2 for classical. It has an open, organic and natural sound that is completely lacking in the K-701/2. To me, the K-701 was to music what saccharine is to sugar. They might have a similar sweetness profile, but that lingering artificial aftertaste was something I could never get used to. On the other hand, people guzzle artificial sodas and love artificial flavorings, so maybe the K-701 is an acquired taste. But for me, the K-701 is to my ears what Olestra is to my intestine.

But like I said, the K-501 sounds like the real thing, almost like a baby K-1000 without the soundstage or quite as much extension.

The Sennheiser HD-600 is also a terrific classical headphone, as are the Beyerdynamic DT880 or DT48, and the AKG K-240DF. I love all of them with classical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back