Headphone + Subwoofer
Oct 19, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #16 of 26
Sorry for the late reply, I had a lot going on. Thanks for all the answers!

Quote:
What speakers and sub do you have (make/model)? That will be a factor in determining some kind of solution.

My subwoofer ist the Canton AS 85.2 SC, my headphone the Ultrasone PRO 900 and the speakers are the Mackie MR5 MKII (altough the speakers shouldn't be imporant, I want to use the headphone in conjunction with the sub).

Confused as to why you would want to do this, how you would resolve the crossover point for frequencies, but still top of my list of questions is why?

Well, the main reason is that I want to feel the bass everywhere, not just in my head.

Why not just invest into Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm or DT990s, they have plenty of bass.

As stated above, I own the Ultrasone PRO 900, I don't think there are many headphones in its price range that have more bass :wink:
But no matter of the headphone, I won't "feel" the bass without a sub.

I understand wanting to feel the bass, that reverberation in your stomach and chest but why use headphones and a sub and not just use speakers.  The question could be reversed to "why do you want the sub on but NOT the speakers?"  I just cannot understand any situation where you would want to do this, it will sound a long way from perfect as you wont be able to tell the headphones to not play the bottom end frequencies the sub is overlapping, it will sound messy and muddy at best.  

I personally prefer gaming with a headphone and not speakers because of the details and Dolby Headphone.

We need to give you a fun pill so you can imagine how this might work
smily_headphones1.gif

With headphones with a lot of bass rolloff, like the AD700s, I would imagine that setting the sub crossover at 50hz might allow it to fill in very well at those bottom frequencies for enjoying special effects in gaming and movies. Even if the texturing of that sub bass were decreased a little, tactile sensation adds a lot for special effects
biggrin.gif

Yep, exactly the reason why I want to do this :wink:

What you describe definately does happen somewhat with my full range speakers + headphones when used simultaneously but judging from my 5.1 system with which I use full range speakers for front R & L with no muddiness (admittedly with a HF filter on the sub output) but I really can't see it being an issue.. especially when you have a degree of noise isolation from most headphones combined with the bass, mids and treble channeled directly into your ear canal while feeling the non directional sub bass from the sub.
Got me intrigued now, I'll test test my active sub (without the HF filter) with my headphones tomorrow and report back. :)

I would love to hear your result and your setup to get it working. Especially games would be very interesting :)

I hoped for a software/driver solution because replugging cables all the time will be very annoying, but there is probably no way, right?

Oct 19, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #17 of 26
Your subwoofer has a line level output RCAs. That means you could run your computer to it and then an external headphone amp off from the sub. Or for that matter, get an RCA switch box, and connect both your speakers and an external amp to the line level output on the sub using the switch box.

Also, check your manual. Does it list a high pass filter on the line level output?

Oct 19, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #18 of 26
Your subwoofer has a line level output RCAs. That means you could run your computer to it and then an external headphone amp off from the sub. Or for that matter, get an RCA switch box, and connect both your speakers and an external amp to the line level output on the sub using the switch box.

Also, check your manual. Does it list a high pass filter on the line level output?

Actually, I was always a bit confused about the RCA ports of my sub because it just says "Low Level Output" (http://bilder.hifi-forum.de/max/476285/canton-as-85-2-sc_48797.jpg) and in the manual it just says "... for example to connect another subwoofer". 

Regarding the high pass filter: I can't find anything about it in the manual :/

I'd still have to invest in more equipment, but it seems to be the best option if there isn't a software solution.

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #20 of 26
I've been doing some more research. I think the http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AOTLP6/ is probably the way to go for something like this if the goal is to create that tactile feeling. It's gotten some good reviews on the web. In fact, decided I'm going to get it for my son for his birthday to use with his Grados on his computer :)

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #21 of 26
I've been doing some more research. I think the http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AOTLP6/ is probably the way to go for something like this if the goal is to create that tactile feeling. It's gotten some good reviews on the web. In fact, decided I'm going to get it for my son for his birthday to use with his Grados on his computer
smily_headphones1.gif

Where are you going to mount it? 

Makes me want to try one. I know home theater enthusiasts use those mounted into their sofas etc, so it's definitely not a gimmick. 

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #22 of 26
Where are you going to mount it? 

Makes me want to try one. I know home theater enthusiasts use those mounted into their sofas etc, so it's definitely not a gimmick. 

It's designed to mount on the metal post supporting a desk chair.

Yeah. I've heard some good things on HT forums about using the Buttkickers for adding an extra dimension to the HT experience. Know a couple of people who have expensive powerful subwoofer setups that also use the Buttkickers in their dedicated HT rooms. I've toyed with getting a couple for my sofa in my living room, but I already have a dedicated 950 watt subwoofer amp and don't want to add more amplification on the circuit.

Oct 26, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #23 of 26
Hmm, what if you did this thing the other way around: the biggest problem in speakers in typical rooms is at 20-500hz frequencies. 

So pick up a pair of open headphones, and low pass filter them at 500hz with a pair of very good studio monitors.

Bass tightness of headphones, and soundstage of speakers?

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #24 of 26
If you have problems with noise reflections then you want to invest in some treatment, a few panels and some traps in the corners make a HUGE impact, far more than upgrading your speakers.  I dont own any open cans to experiment but I would imagine that you would get an nasty sound mixing speakers and open headphones, surely this would be like playing a 5.1 system with speakers not positioned correctly and you would have an overall confused sound.  If you want tight controlled base that you can feel in your chest you need a good sub, and if you choose to try that with headphones feel free, but I call it an expensive experiment.  

Oct 26, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #25 of 26
  If you have problems with noise reflections then you want to invest in some treatment, a few panels and some traps in the corners make a HUGE impact, far more than upgrading your speakers.  I dont own any open cans to experiment but I would imagine that you would get an nasty sound mixing speakers and open headphones, surely this would be like playing a 5.1 system with speakers not positioned correctly and you would have an overall confused sound.  If you want tight controlled base that you can feel in your chest you need a good sub, and if you choose to try that with headphones feel free, but I call it an expensive experiment.  

^ Yep, in full agreement.

To the OP- It seems that although my Onkyo 5.1 receiver gives different Freq cut off points it doesn't give the option of having no filter for the sub output and the active sub only has a volume knob.

So... with cut off filter-  Highly reccomended! The active sub produces huge sub bass and combined with headphones or even IEM's it sounds fantastic with no muddiness whatsoever. I'm using a £500 AV set up though, so a buttkicker or similar would obviously be the more sensible and cost effective option. 

Oct 26, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #26 of 26
So... with cut off filter-  Highly reccomended! The active sub produces huge sub bass and combined with headphones or even IEM's it sounds fantastic with no muddiness whatsoever. I'm using a £500 AV set up though, so a buttkicker or similar would obviously be the more sensible and cost effective option. 

Maybe not. The Buttkicker doesn't give you any bass audio. It's essentially a big vibrator (lol). So might be some people would prefer a sub instead.

But glad that worked out well with your test :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back