Headphone Static
Mar 6, 2015 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Magic77

500+ Head-Fier
I have the Sony MDR-7520. When I start listening to music with these headphones everything is dead quiet in between songs and quiet passages. After listening for a while I begin to hear static on the left side only. Other headphones I use are OK, so it's not my amp or headphone jack. The 7520 has a detachable cable, not really sure if it could be a defective cable. Could the left voice coil be defective and creating static buildup? Thanks for any help or advice.

Mar 6, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 6
It might be a hair stuck on the driver.

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #3 of 6
Don't laugh, but I have the same problem wit my Grado HP1000, and before each listening session, I rub them with a sheet of fabric softener.

If you decide to give it a try, please let me, (us),  know if it worked.

Mar 7, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #4 of 6
The detachable cable is a standard 1/8 mini jack at the input of the headphones, so I'm going to try connecting another mini-mini plug cable and make sure it is or isn't a cable issue.

Mar 10, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #6 of 6
Now approx. 12 hours of listening and no static yet. So, I have confirmed that the problem is a defective Sony detachable headphone cable. Sony actually wants $135 for a new cable, I think that is way too much, so I will continue to use a regular mini-mini 1/8 cable which works just as good. So, if anyone owns the MDR-7520 and has a defective cable, just replace it with a standard mini-mini cable and save yourself $135.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back