Headphone Reviews and the Party Pooper Dilemma
Apr 14, 2008 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Nomad

1000+ Head-Fier
You did read this kind of things many times. Somebody saying that some mid-fi can is truly high-end on the right setup. That some can with awful boom-boom bass has the best bass ever. That the K1000 can easily reproduce those 20 Hz if you have this particular amp. That this old obscure electret eats the O2 for breakfast. That the SR-60 with the "OMG mod" is so much better than the RS-1...

-Would you state your disagreement in order to save time and money to other head-fiers that might follow such wrong advice?
-Would you pass it because after disagreeing on many of them you don't want to give the impression of being a party pooper?

Let me elaborate the last one. Sometimes you don't want to look like a smart ass saying all the time things like "I'm sorry but no matter what you say my SR-225 with "wet flats" is not better than my PS-1", like all you want to do is to defend the nice toy you might have. Like if all you have to say is that there are no shortcuts here and that in order to get good sound you need to spend big bucks (which I don't think is always true at all).

This dilemma is especially evident in FOTM threads when everybody is raving about a phone you got out of curiosity and it is obvious to you that it is worse than a good part of your collection no matter what other people is saying on the thread.

Apr 14, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #2 of 11
LOL funny poll indeed! I'm too new here to vote with some sense.
In the ones I've watched, I read a bit, maybe I ask a couple of questions to know a bit about ravers criterion, then I tend to pass.

Rgrds

Apr 14, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 11
I said pass, not because I don't want to be a party pooper so to speak, but because there is usually no point in arguing with the people who are raving about it and it's just going to be futile anyway since a new one is going to pop up the second the old one dies. Some of them may genuinely enjoy it, others may not know any better. But for the most part it seems to boil down to someone wanting to justify their new purchase or someone finding something that is decent and not discussed here and suddenly everyone wants to try it. Either way arguing gets no where, so you shouldn't even bother.

/promoted a FOTM once, and genuinely enjoyed it
//was careful about my phrasing so not to make statements I couldn't prove

Apr 14, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 11
Unworthy headphones wouldn't attain FOTM status in the first place if more people were forthcoming with negative comments. People spend hundreds of dollars based on the impressions they read here, I would personally feel obligated to share my unpopular opinions, lest someone with similar tastes be burned. The lack of contrarian opinions is the biggest problem I've noticed on head-fi.

Apr 14, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #5 of 11
The problematic SR225 is better overall than the overrated PS1.
tongue.gif

Apr 14, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 11
I'm sorry, but what is FOTM?

Apr 14, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #8 of 11
But my dad is better than your dad...

Apr 14, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #11 of 11
I would continue to state my disagreement. We do not have enough here that will do this.

cheers
Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back