Headphone replacement cable options?
Sep 21, 2005 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gerG

Headphoneus Supremus
I just recabled a pair of Ultrasones with twin lead Mogami (double entry). Very clean, robust, and pretty. Unfortunately it sucks for actually using the things. Way too stiff and heavy, it crackles every time it twists, and it is microphonic as all hell. It will be coming back out. So what to replace it with?

Not Canare star quad. Too heavy, and I don't want both channels in the same cable (crosstalk). I have used it for both single and double entry, and I am looking for a better solution.

I need something light and flexible, with twin leads, and a pair of wires in each lead (no coax, please). Shielding is not useful, and it only adds weight and bulk. I would prefer not to have fibers woven in with the wires because it makes soldering a pain, and yields crappy joints.

The ideal would be the stuff used in the Oehlbach Sen cables. Unfortunately I don't know the origin, and Jan can't divulge his source.

Suggestions?

Thanks

gerG

Sep 21, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 8
twist a pair of 22ga teflon silver plated coper wire cables.

is crosstalk between the strands of a 4-strand braid that bad?

edit:
techflex, or a hand braded yarn sheath.

Sep 21, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
I just recabled a pair of Ultrasones with twin lead Mogami (double entry). Very clean, robust, and pretty. Unfortunately it sucks for actually using the things. Way too stiff and heavy, it crackles every time it twists, and it is microphonic as all hell. It will be coming back out. So what to replace it with?

Not Canare star quad. Too heavy, and I don't want both channels in the same cable (crosstalk). I have used it for both single and double entry, and I am looking for a better solution.

I need something light and flexible, with twin leads, and a pair of wires in each lead (no coax, please). Shielding is not useful, and it only adds weight and bulk. I would prefer not to have fibers woven in with the wires because it makes soldering a pain, and yields crappy joints.

The ideal would be the stuff used in the Oehlbach Sen cables. Unfortunately I don't know the origin, and Jan can't divulge his source.

Suggestions?

Thanks

gerG

Maybe a thinner AWG canare? My K240s were recabled with canare star quad L-4E5C. IMHO its lighter and noticeably thinner than the heavier L-4E6S. I really dont like one sided cables, but with the thinner cord its not too bad on my AKG.

The cable in between in pic below is the OEM cord on my MS2, and is slightly thicker than the L-4E5C

dscn61602df.jpg

Sep 21, 2005 at 7:23 AM Post #6 of 8
i use the canare l2e5 for my akg recable. twisted pair + shield. 4.6mm outter diameter, way more flexible and lighter then the L4E5 stuff. gets a bit stiffer then id like with techflex on, but the cable i got was grey so didnt want to leave it off or it would look ugly.

Sep 21, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #7 of 8
All right, thanks for the info guys!

I should have listed my constraints more clearly. These cans are for use at work, so durability and comfort are the main consideration. I use a short cable to keep it out of chair wheel range, so stiffness is a more significant issue than a normal setup.

skyskraper & kramer, I have some of the thinner Canare, and had considered 2 leads of it. It is basically the same diameter and construction as the Mogami, just not a siamese jacket. I should try splitting the sides apart at intervals. That would solve some issues (and it is easy!).

Ed, good to hear from you! The problem with naked twisted pair is that they need a protective layer. By the time I stack up the needed layers x both sides it gets heavy and poorly behaved. It can be made quite flexible, though, so it may be my last resort.

Hi Ari! I have not measured the crosstalk yet, but it has to be there. Running 2 signals inside a single shielded cable is just a long 1:1 transformer. I am not using starquad for 2 channels again until I have checked. The exception would be a single jacket cable with 2 shielded pairs. I have seen this done on some stock headphone cables.

highflyin9, thanks for the link. I will do some searching. Any guess what they call the siamese/twin/dual wire construction?

One other option is a coiled cord (works well at a desk or workbench). I am seriously thinking about scavanging the cable from an old pair of DT831s.

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back