Headphone repair (AKG k601) - Vancouver, BC
Oct 27, 2012 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

crunchyjoe

New Head-Fier
I've been trying for the last month and a half to get AKG to put up their end of the bargain and fix my K601s under warranty to no avail, they have sent me to about 3 different "repair locations" near my area and none have responded.
this is before I figured out that because I ordered them from the US that the warranty is only for locations in America, I've contacted their repair locations and yet again no response. I am really getting fed up with them.
I was thinking of repairing them myself but honestly i am terrible at electronics/circuitry and I would probably just end up permanently breaking the headphones while also voiding the warranty. I am sure not much of this forum resides in Canada nonetheless Vancouver but i will still ask in hopes i can get my frickin' headphones fixed instead of being forced to use the k171 MKIIs, which become very uncomfortable after long periods of use and are definitely not designed for home usage.

edit: forgot to mention the part that doesn't work on the headphones is the right driver which means a faulty connection not a broken cord.

Oct 27, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
I've been trying for the last month and a half to get AKG to put up their end of the bargain and fix my K601s under warranty to no avail, they have sent me to about 3 different "repair locations" near my area and none have responded.
this is before I figured out that because I ordered them from the US that the warranty is only for locations in America, I've contacted their repair locations and yet again no response. I am really getting fed up with them.
I was thinking of repairing them myself but honestly i am terrible at electronics/circuitry and I would probably just end up permanently breaking the headphones while also voiding the warranty. I am sure not much of this forum resides in Canada nonetheless Vancouver but i will still ask in hopes i can get my frickin' headphones fixed instead of being forced to use the k171 MKIIs, which become very uncomfortable after long periods of use and are definitely not designed for home usage.
edit: forgot to mention the part that doesn't work on the headphones is the right driver which means a faulty connection not a broken cord.

How can you know for sure than it's a faulty connection rather than a blown driver? Does it regain connection if, let's say, you move the headphone around and possibly make contact once again? I'm from Vancouver myself and I suggest talking to Headphonebar.com (travis) as he has good communication with AKG Canada located in the East Coast.

Oct 29, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

How can you know for sure than it's a faulty connection rather than a blown driver? Does it regain connection if, let's say, you move the headphone around and possibly make contact once again? I'm from Vancouver myself and I suggest talking to Headphonebar.com (travis) as he has good communication with AKG Canada located in the East Coast.

Yes if I pressed down on the right ear relatively hard and held it the right way it connected, but it's been doing that less so I assume the connection is completely severed. and I have talked to him, he pointed me to a repair place that I could not find any info of, I might go back and ask again.

Oct 29, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Yes if I pressed down on the right ear relatively hard and held it the right way it connected, but it's been doing that less so I assume the connection is completely severed. and I have talked to him, he pointed me to a repair place that I could not find any info of, I might go back and ask again.

Even though I wouldn't recommend third-party repair centers, I think it's a better choice than sending it to AKG Canada, as they will overcharge you on an item with no valid warranty. How about using your money to re-cable the K701? Double Helix Cables does a re-cabling service and I'm sure he will be able to fix the faulty connection as well. Win win situation. OCC copper cable, and fixing bam!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back