Headphone Recommendations
Nov 8, 2014 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Criss969

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, Head-Fi!

My name is Chris and I am looking to purchase my first high-end pair of cans. It all started about two months ago when I purchased my Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones. I instantly fell in love with the clarity and bass (in comparison to my Koss UR-20's) and now I crave more!! I am seeking both help and advice in order to help me decide on what is right for me. Once I settle on a range, I plan to head over to my local music store to try them out.

I am having a hard time understanding exactly what it is that makes or breaks a set of cans. I always thought that the frequency range was the ultimate culprit in the sound of headphones, but then I stumbled across impedance, driver size and sound pressure level. Could I get some help in clarifying what these are and why they matter? I have done some research, but am a little on the slow side and cannot understand it.

I am mostly a metal-head, listening to bands like Periphery, Kamelot, Sybreed, Amaranthe, Meshuggah, etc. Although at points I do love some good old classic rock, hard rock, country and orchestral as well. No hip hop whatsoever.

Right now, these are a few of the headphones I am considering looking at:

AKG K702
Shure SRH840, 940, 1440
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X/A900X
Beyerdynamic DT990

My budget resides in the $300 area with a max of $350 after taxes and shipping (if need be). With such a budget, I do not plan to be picking a pair up at a local store, but rather off eBay or Amazon, etc.

All help is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Chris

Nov 8, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 8
With your taste in music, I would recommend looking into Grado.  I have heard several well-respected headphones in your price range (Shure SRH840, Beyerdynamic DT880, Sennheiser HD600, Hifiman HE400, AKG K612 Pro, and Grado SR325is).  90% of my library is rock/metal, and I have, without question, enjoyed the SR325is the most.  It has an "in-your-face" type of sound signature that brings more energy, speed, clarity, and detail than the others that I listed.  Also, electric guitar sounds FAR better with the SR325is than with any of the others.  The extremely limited orchestral music that I have heard also sounds good with the SR325is due to the detail.  However, it lacks in soundstage compared to the others (with the exception of the SRH840, which is closed).  For me, this is not at all an issue with rock/metal (even with highly layered, complex progressive rock recordings).  I am not too familiar with any of the bands you listed, but if you find out that they have poor recording/mastering quality or are prone to sibilance, I would not necessarily recommend the SR325is, which is itself prone to sibilance and is not at all forgiving of bad recordings.  Also, Grados are not exactly known for their comfort.

Of course, everything I said is my opinion.  Other people with different preferences may find the SR325is to be overly bright, for instance.  In general, though, you will see a lot of recommendations for Grados for rock/metal.  Good luck in your search. 

Nov 8, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 8
  Hello, Head-Fi!

My name is Chris and I am looking to purchase my first high-end pair of cans. It all started about two months ago when I purchased my Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones. I instantly fell in love with the clarity and bass (in comparison to my Koss UR-20's) and now I crave more!! I am seeking both help and advice in order to help me decide on what is right for me. Once I settle on a range, I plan to head over to my local music store to try them out.

I am having a hard time understanding exactly what it is that makes or breaks a set of cans. I always thought that the frequency range was the ultimate culprit in the sound of headphones, but then I stumbled across impedance, driver size and sound pressure level. Could I get some help in clarifying what these are and why they matter? I have done some research, but am a little on the slow side and cannot understand it.

I am mostly a metal-head, listening to bands like Periphery, Kamelot, Sybreed, Amaranthe, Meshuggah, etc. Although at points I do love some good old classic rock, hard rock, country and orchestral as well. No hip hop whatsoever.

Right now, these are a few of the headphones I am considering looking at:

AKG K702
Shure SRH840, 940, 1440
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X/A900X
Beyerdynamic DT990

My budget resides in the $300 area with a max of $350 after taxes and shipping (if need be). With such a budget, I do not plan to be picking a pair up at a local store, but rather off eBay or Amazon, etc.

All help is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Chris

K702 is not a good pick for those genres, definitely.

If you want a neutralish headphone you should look into DT880 and HD600.
If you want a slighly darker presentation you should look into HD650 and Fidelios X1/X2 (these are more forgiving of poorly recorded music)
If you want crystal clear and upfront treble full of details you should consider DT990 (Wide Soundstage) 250 Ohm version and Grado 325

You could also read about Grado 225 (less bright than 325)
Hifiman HE-400 is also pretty interesting.

All of these headphones need some kind of quality source and amplification to show their potential.

Best Luck!

Nov 10, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the replies.

The HiFiMan HE-400 is not within my budget.. at least not anywhere I can find it. I would definitely jump on it if it was. I have tried my friend's Grado SR80i and don't care for the feel of them. Since all Grado look the same, I'm assuming they're all similar in construction. I'm liking the look of the ATH-A900X, and the specs look good, too. I didn't get around to trying any of them out this weekend, but plan to for sure next weekend.

The next time I reply to this thread, I'll have tried them and actually have a ballpark to go by.

Again, I appreciate the replies and look forward to being a member of this community.

Nov 10, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #5 of 8
The HE-400 is $300 on amazon.  Maybe you were looking at the HE-400i, which is completely different and costs $200 more.

http://www.amazon.com/HiFiMAN-HE400-HiFiMan-HE-400-Headphones/dp/B007ZG32I4

The A900X is not for metal-heads in my opinion.  It's somewhat bass shy and doesn't have the best dynamics.  The HE-400 seems like it would be right up your alley.  

Nov 10, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #6 of 8
I wouldn't really recommend the HE-400 unless bass is hugely important to you.  It has, without a question, by far the best bass that I have heard (I listed the headphones I have owned in my earlier post).  However (I'm guessing due to the upper midrange dip), guitars often are not as loud as they should be and do not sound nearly as good as they do with my SR325is.  This is problematic for rock/metal.  Also, vocals sound a bit unnatural and very distant.  I could certainly have lived with this if it weren't for the issue with guitars.  Additionally, the weight and clamping force of the HE-400 made them very uncomfortable (much more uncomfortable than my SR325is).  If bass is your primary concern, though, the HE-400 is truly fantastic in that department.

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 8
**UPDATE**

I finally got around to checking out some pairs of headphones in local stores and decided on a pair! Now, the local prices around here (some) are higher than the MSRP, and some are lower than the others. Either way, I believe I paid roughly the same amount they go for online. What headphones are they? Well, after trying many different pairs from Sennheiser, AKG, Audio Technica, Grado and Beyerdynamic, I settled on....................

The ATH-M50x from Audio Technica

I loved the sound of these so much that I purchased them right there on the spot. The sound of these headphones is entirely, perfectly balanced (at least to my ears). There is not one thing I dislike about these, from the sound to the build quality. I found them to be MUCH brighter and more detailed than the HD 280s I have, as well as having more bass. I was surprised that most other, more expensive headphones didn't sound all that much better to my ears. I purchased a Fiio X1 recently and made sure to take that along when I tested out the different headphones. I feel that I got exactly what I wanted and could not be happier.

Anyway, I would like to thank the contributors and look forward to having a presence on these forums.

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #8 of 8
  **UPDATE**

I finally got around to checking out some pairs of headphones in local stores and decided on a pair! Now, the local prices around here (some) are higher than the MSRP, and some are lower than the others. Either way, I believe I paid roughly the same amount they go for online. What headphones are they? Well, after trying many different pairs from Sennheiser, AKG, Audio Technica, Grado and Beyerdynamic, I settled on....................

The ATH-M50x from Audio Technica

I loved the sound of these so much that I purchased them right there on the spot. The sound of these headphones is entirely, perfectly balanced (at least to my ears). There is not one thing I dislike about these, from the sound to the build quality. I found them to be MUCH brighter and more detailed than the HD 280s I have, as well as having more bass. I was surprised that most other, more expensive headphones didn't sound all that much better to my ears. I purchased a Fiio X1 recently and made sure to take that along when I tested out the different headphones. I feel that I got exactly what I wanted and could not be happier.

Anyway, I would like to thank the contributors and look forward to having a presence on these forums.

Nice to read that you are enjoying your new headphones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back