Headphone recommendations
Jan 30, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #16 of 36
in b4 Sennheiser HD280 pro

Jan 30, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by David.M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in b4 Sennheiser HD280 pro

The 280's have almost no low end, so I don't think these will suit his needs. These are also one of my least favorite headphones I've ever heard, they sound like you are listening to the music through two tin cans.

Jan 30, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek800 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 280's have almost no low end, so I don't think these will suit his needs. These are also one of my least favorite headphones I've ever heard, they sound like you are listening to the music through two tin cans.

that would be bad, i listen to a good amount of rap so i'll definitely need some lows

so i think i've knocked the list down to these (red/italic got axed)

Grado SR60
Grado SR80
AD700
MS1 (still can't find these
confused.gif
)
Equation RP-22X
Sennheiser HD238
Audio Technica M50

any comments? i'm inbetween these 3

Jan 30, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Type_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif
)

It's the Alessandro MS1, you can find them at Alessandro High-End Products.
They're manufactured by Grado and are supposedly based off of the Grado SR125 (i.e. an upgrade to the SR80). They just barely fit in your budget at $99 USD shipped.

Jan 30, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halftrack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's the Alessandro MS1, you can find them at Alessandro High-End Products.
They're manufactured by Grado and are supposedly based off of the Grado SR125 (i.e. an upgrade to the SR80). They just barely fit in your budget at $99 USD shipped.

oh thanks! I just did a search for those on here and I saw people talking about certain headphones requiring an amplifier. are any of the ones I've listed fall into this category/section?

Jan 30, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

oh thanks! I just did a search for those on here and I saw people talking about certain headphones requiring an amplifier. are any of the ones I've listed fall into this category/section?

Not that I can tell. And the AD700 is made by Audio-Technica - FWIR they do have a certain amount of bass (more than the Grados/Alessandros unmodded, anyways), but they still might not suit rap well.

FYI, I have no personal experience with the AD700 at all, and don't have any rap to try on my MS1s.

Jan 30, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #22 of 36
Get the M50. Trust me. I've listened to them for less than an hour and I love them already, and I'd love to have a pair, but I'm planning to get a Beyerdynamic DT 770 or 880 Pro 80 / 250 though, so I'm not getting them anytime soon.
I have the Grado SR80i (current production model; the original SR80's phased out) and it's good for rock. The bass is real punchy, but it may come out a bit boomy for some others. Not so good for rap, though I don't listen to it anyway. The M50's in comparison are sealed (for dem kickin' beatz yo) and are great performers across the board.

Jan 30, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

that would be bad, i listen to a good amount of rap so i'll definitely need some lows

so i think i've knocked the list down to these (red/italic got axed)

Grado SR60
Grado SR80
AD700
confused.gif
)
Equation RP-22X
Sennheiser HD238
Audio Technica M50

You should get the RP-22x off that list because the RP-21 is just about equal, and of course, the RP-21 does cost a bit less.

Jan 30, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swazidoughman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should get the RP-22x off that list because the RP-21 is just about equal, and of course, the RP-21 does cost a bit less.

ah interesting, now that those got kicked it looks like i'm going with the M50's.

that sounds about right, according to Zeroblade they have the uberbass
biggrin.gif

but are the vocals detailed and lively? how about the comfort of those headphones, are they nice to wear? does anyone object to the M50s?
ph34r.gif

edit: another question, are coiled cables annoying? what are your opinion about those.

Jan 30, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #25 of 36
M-50's are your best bet for your price range. Those 'phones perform at a higher level than they are worth.
I personally think they are better coiled, since the cable will be more durable; from my experiences at least.

Jan 30, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrotron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
M-50's are your best bet for your price range. Those 'phones perform at a higher level than they are worth.
I personally think they are better coiled, since the cable will be more durable; from my experiences at least.

what makes it more durable? i'm not sure I follow you there.

I'm not sure, I can't decide if a coiled cable would be annoying or not. Obviously all of my previous earbuds have been straight.

Feb 4, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

but are the vocals detailed and lively? how about the comfort of those headphones, are they nice to wear? does anyone object to the M50s?
ph34r.gif

edit: another question, are coiled cables annoying? what are your opinion about those.

Lively, yes. But these are designed as studio monitors, which means they are more neutral and more detail-focused than "fun". That doesn't mean they sound less interesting than other, more colored phones; I actually prefer my phones as neutral and uncolored as possible. I think the general consensus regarding these cans is that they are awesome for the price.

Personally, straight cables are better for me for home use. My current home setup has all my stuff (PC, DAC, and amp) on the right, so the coiled cable kind of just lays slightly limp in front of me, and it's really annoying. Coiled may be useful when going out, but that's it.

Quote:

yo guys so i just heard a set of these headphones
MDR-V700DJ | Studio Monitor Series DJ Headphones | Sony | SonyStyle USA

i'm veerrrry disappointed. please tell me me the M50's crush these in all categories including specifically clarity and lows
ph34r.gif
ph34r.gif
ph34r.gif

I had a quick listen to my friend's MDR-V700's, and oh boy. Muddiness all over, especially the bass, rolled-off highs, and flat mids. The M50's are much, much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back