Headphone recommendations
Dec 15, 2009 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

stacey

Headphoneus Supremus
Right now, I nave nothing but those nasty/buzzy/notoriously hideous sounding apple buds. I want to get some good IEMs, but I'm kinda new to this so I'll need a few suggestions.

I listen to all sorts of music, but if I have to narrow it down I do listen to a lot of downtempo, jazz, hip-hop/rap, house/electronica, and metal.

Here is some of the IEM's that I'm thinking of:

SkullCandy FMJ
Pros:
  1. good construction quality
  2. LIFETIME warranty!!!
  3. Looks somewhat appealing
  4. Has mic for cell phone

V-Moda Remix

Pros:
  1. Bass heavy
  2. good quality
  3. Has mic for cell phone

A mic for cellphone/smartphone use is not necessary, but it's definitely a plus, and the spending cap is $150.

Dec 15, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 13
With a spending cap of $150 you have a huge range of options available to you all of which will quite likely have better sound than the examples you posted.

Your best bet is to lurk around a little. Read what people's general concensus are on each IEM like:

RE0: Clear and analytical sound with bass lacking for some.
Klipsch Image S4: Good bass response with decent mid and some roll off on highs. Some people having issues with sibilance.
MeeElectronics Mi6: Clarity and Accuracy much higher than its price point, may lack some bass.

etc etc etc.

That's the impressions and generalities I've gotten from lurking around for just a month or so.

I'm willing to bet that with the genres you've listed the Image S4i would be a good match, but again that's solely based on what I've read here.

Dec 15, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #5 of 13
You have a $150 cap and you're checking Skullcandy? Let's start over...

Atrios: The only better bass-biased phone I know--at ANY price--is the IE8 at over double the price. I think these are going for $150 at street level.

Denon C551: Good, fun, poppy phones. Not a detail listener's phone, but they will not disappoint. $50.

Sennheiser CX500: Depending on the EQ of your source device, these are either somewhat better with the Denons (with EQ, fair treble) or much worse (with no EQ, midbass mudpit). Also $50.

Dec 15, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by stacey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SkullCandy FMJ
Pros:
  1. good construction quality
  2. LIFETIME warranty!!!
  3. Looks somewhat appealing
  4. Has mic for cell phone

Good construction quality? On the FMJ? Yeah, right. Skullcandy build quality is a joke, as is their lifetime warranty. They pretty much outright tell you that it was your fault unless the problem is not physical (i.e. if one of the drivers loses volume or something). For cable and housing issues they might as well not provide a warranty.

Dec 15, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good construction quality? On the FMJ? Yeah, right. Skullcandy build quality is a joke, as is their lifetime warranty. They pretty much outright tell you that it was your fault unless the problem is not physical (i.e. if one of the drivers loses volume or something). For cable and housing issues they might as well not provide a warranty.

Hey, by any chance do you have any impressions on the Head-Direct RE0?

Dec 15, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by stacey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, by any chance do you have any impressions on the Head-Direct RE0?

Yes, he most certainly does, and I would agree with his assessment.

In fact, I'm beginning to think that Joker and I have the same ears... lol
tongue.gif

Dec 15, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #10 of 13
I was just reading that, and I wanted some further impressions. Since I'm not looking to amp the headphones, this may be the headphone that I'll pick up sometime soon. The RE0's look like they would be a good fit for the music that I'll listen to (Good base, but doesn't overpower the little details.) Also looking at the Cyclone PR1s.

Dec 15, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #11 of 13
Check the FS (for sale) section, and you might find a pair of Triple Fi 10's (the new one with mic) for 150$. These normally cost 400$, but because of a amazon sale a lot of people bought these and are now selling them on.

Dec 15, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #12 of 13
Thank goodness the skullcandy's are out of the picture. lol I have to agree with the RE0's.

Dec 15, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by BassThor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check the FS (for sale) section, and you might find a pair of Triple Fi 10's (the new one with mic) for 150$. These normally cost 400$, but because of a amazon sale a lot of people bought these and are now selling them on.

Oh you mean that $99 Amazon special? I'd live to pick one of those up, but I'm not sure if I can fine them ant that great of a price. I'm sad I missed out on that 80% off special.
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank goodness the skullcandy's are out of the picture. lol I have to agree with the RE0's.

The only reason that I considered them is for the lifetime warranty. But them again what's the point if the warranty isn't as good as you would think, and the item in particular has crap quality, and not so hot sound for the price?

Oh since the V-Moda Remix has yet to be released, I'm kinda curious on how the quality will be with those headphones. Looking forward to reviews on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back