Headphone Recommendations for Leben CS600
Jan 18, 2008 at 9:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

selfdivider

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, guys. I'm purchasing a Leben CS600 in two months, and I wanted your input on which headphones I should look into. Shamefully enough, I don't have any proper headphones except for the Audio-Technica ATH-CK7 I use with my old-ass iPod. I haven't been really listening to much music through headphones, but I thought it would be a waste to not use Leben CS600's acclaimed headphone-out. I heard a lot of good things about both AKG 701 and Sennheiser 650, and would love to hear what you have to say. (Your recommendations shouldn't be limited to these 2 models, by any means.) Thanks for your help!
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:47 AM Post #2 of 12
AKG K701 and the like is too low level for this amp, IMHO. I'd consider Grado GS1000, Ultrasone Proline 9 (read very positive comments about them hooked up to the CS600), Audio-Technica ATH-W5000 or Denon AH-D5000. You need to hear them all and decide. Just my $0.02

Jan 18, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #3 of 12
I have heard Leben CS-600 with Accuphase DP-500 CD and Ultrasone Edition9. That sound was really great. I also did comparison between Edition9 and Sennheiser HD 650. No doubt, with Ultrasone was definitely better. More clear, more powerful, better soundstage, better everything.

Jan 18, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 12
Wow, the Ultrasone Edition 9s are some expensive cans! They certainly do look intriguing, though, so I'll have to audition them somewhere. It seems that ATH-W5000s' price has been slashed more than 50%, so I'll have to try those, too.

Jan 18, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Ryka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard Leben CS-600 with Accuphase DP-500 CD and Ultrasone Edition9. That sound was really great. I also did comparison between Edition9 and Sennheiser HD 650. No doubt, with Ultrasone was definitely better. More clear, more powerful, better soundstage, better everything.

If I can help it, I'd love to get open headphones. Any recommendations on that front? Also, does any headphone come with really long cords, like 7 - 9 ft long? Or do I have to get something modded for that?

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by selfdivider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I can help it, I'd love to get open headphones. Any recommendations on that front? Also, does any headphone come with really long cords, like 7 - 9 ft long? Or do I have to get something modded for that?

Audio-Technica W-5000 is probably too sharp, because this amplifier is rather sharp itself. Maybe with 350B tubes (new production by Valve Art) instead of original 6L6 by Sovtec (350B is directly replacement) it will be good, but I am not sure. In this situation only Grado GS-1000, but rather with some better cable – Black or Silver Dragon – seems to be a good solution. Grado’s base is in NY, so You can try them, I suppose. Cheap alternative is AKG K701, but I think that this amplifier is too good to waste its sound by them.
Moon Audio can execute 7-9 ft long cable for any headphones.

Moon Audio

Jan 19, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 12
Check out the meetings thread,there will be a NY meet held in late march early april in Queens.If you get your amp by then ,you can bring it to the meet,there will be plenty of phones there you can try.

Jan 19, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #9 of 12
I think Nik uses Leben gear. Not sure. Wouldn't hurt to PM him. He's not as active as he once was, but is always helpful.

Aug 23, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #12 of 12
Very nice choice! I have the CS300 and the Denon D5000 sounded absolutely fantastic with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back