Headphone recommendations for computer use
Feb 17, 2008 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

bryanvlo

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I had a browse through a few of the other threads asking for recommendations. I was going to grab one of those 5.1 headphones with discrete drivers but since the view of these forums are against them, I've gave up on that idea.

I basically want a good set with a built in microphone. Any recommendations?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #2 of 19
Anyone have any experience with the Steelseries Steelsound headsets?

Also contemplating getting the HD555s, which I'll need to pair with a microphone. But it's just neater to have a headset.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 19
youre not going to have much luck with "headsets" on this forum since headsets arent the best at giving the good detailed sound. if you want recommendations for headphones, then people will help you.

Feb 18, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 19
Don't buy a "gaming headset".
buy headphones and buy a cheap microphone that you can hang on the headphone's cable
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 19
Oui, there are a whole bunch of people who have very nicely created boom microphones for their headphones. They look and function great, and are really cheap to make.

For gaming I'll recommend the Beyerdynamic DT-770, which has enough bass to blow your house over.

Feb 18, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #6 of 19
Sennheiser headsets with microphone and Plantronics Audio™ 770 Virtual Surround Sound Headset are realy good......

Feb 18, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #7 of 19
First hello to all of the HeadFi-ers
smily_headphones1.gif
. AWESOME BOARD!
I apologize to bryanvlo, for using his thread
wink.gif
, but i think my additional question will help him too.
I`m new to do hi-fi scene and i am currently searching for headphones which will be used only with a pc ( without an amp ). I`ve bought X-Fi XtremeMusic sound blaster and now i use SONY MDR-XD100 which sounds awful :/. I`ve read the-headphone-buyers-guide, but most of the open headphones with price range $70 to $150 can NOT be found here in Bulgaria :/ . So after a lot of reading i`ve come to decision to buy 1 from these 3 headphones which can be found here and are not over my budget of max 130$:
1) Sennheiser HD 555 (price 125$)
2) Beyerdynamic DTX 900 (price 125$)
3) Pioneer SE-A1000 REVIEW (price 100$)
These are the prices i can find them. There is a lot of info about HD555, but besides the review of the A1000 i can`t find anything about the pioneer ( just 1 review in polish which unfortunately i can`t understand :/ LINK I`ll be very gratefull if someone who knows polish can sum up the review in 1-2 sentences ).
Can you give me more info about these pioneers. How do they compare with the other 2 hp. Which headphones will you choose between HD555 and DTX900?
So help guys !
smily_headphones1.gif
I`m not a bass maniac and i`m looking for a warm, clear and detailed sound.

Feb 18, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #8 of 19
HuKuTo, my totally biased recommendation to you is the HD-555 (disclaimer: I own it and not the others). It doesn't have a lot of bass, which is good for you. Unfortunately, it's a little bit slow, meshing sounds together, sacrificing detail for fluidness.

Feb 18, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #9 of 19
Steelseries Steelsound sound great and come with a nice extension cord if you need it, that way they work well with a laptop or a desktop computer. If they are mainly for gaming and you want a built in mic then I say go for it. If you want something for both music and gaming then you probably want a good easy to drive (so an amp isn't necessary unless you want to amp your headphone output) set of headphones, preferably with a good size sound stage.

Information - SteelSeries

Feb 18, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #10 of 19
Thanks for the opinion, espire
wink.gif
But guys can anyone give me some info about the Pioneer SE-A1000. The retail price is 199$ and i can find them for only 100$, so i`m really confused if they will be better buy then the HD555.

Feb 18, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #12 of 19
I second the HD-555. They won't do you wrong. You can just about use them for anything (movies, music and gaming). I dont get where an earlier poster mentioned them not having bass. Believe me, they have plenty and they are punchy. Maybe not enough for a DT-770 fan but then again, those will rattle your brains :p I've been religiously using my 555s for three years now on a daily basis. I have a Harman Kardon system hooked up to my computer that has been catching dust all these years. Dont hesitate. They're excellent in that price range for your purposes.

Feb 19, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorito123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steelseries Steelsound sound great and come with a nice extension cord if you need it, that way they work well with a laptop or a desktop computer. If they are mainly for gaming and you want a built in mic then I say go for it. If you want something for both music and gaming then you probably want a good easy to drive (so an amp isn't necessary unless you want to amp your headphone output) set of headphones, preferably with a good size sound stage.

Information - SteelSeries

Have you had any personal experience with this headset? That's the one I'm looking at.

The specs, for everyone's easy reference are:

Headphones

- Frequency response: 16 - 28.000 Hz

- Impedance: 40 Ohm

- SPL@ 1kHz, 1 Vrms: 110 dB

- Cable length: 10 feet (with extension cord)

- Connectors: 1/8"

Feb 19, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #15 of 19
I`ve searched a lot for info for the Pioneer SE-A1000 and i`ve found this japanese site with hell a lot of reviews:
SE-A1000 review
ATH-AD700, K501, HD595, HP1000, MDR-F1, SE-A1000 COMPARISIION
Tough time deiciding between these and HD555
"SE-A1000: Sound near the ear ringing in the sense that people are very concerned about to be recommended. And the tone is different routes, but loyal, hard to enjoy.
Resolution, a sense of the sound field and kind of price, but the sound ringing in the ears near that many people are worried about it." - taken from the translated review. I can hardly understand the meaning of this, but it seems like this is the only negative part of the review. I`ll appreciate if someone helps explaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back