Headphone Recommendations? ~$100
Jan 28, 2012 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

ElectroPulse

New Head-Fier
Hello, all!

UPDATE: Now looking for Headphones, rather than headsets... I'll just get a seperate microphone. This post has been updated to reflect my changing opinion of the headphone industry as new light is being unveiled.

Alright, sometime in the near future I am looking to get a headset for gaming. Now, I'll get right to the point...

Requirements:
1. Decent build quality (something metal would be cool... I read somewhere on here where someone mentioned $130 headphones that had good sound quality, and were made of metal)
2. Decent quality sound
3. Comfortable over long periods of time.
4. Sound isolation would definitely be a plus... (I am going to be heading off to college next school year and will be staying in the dorm, so this is a somewhat high priority in case I am up late gaming/listening to music while my roommate is sleeping)
5. Large cups (would definitely like them to be around my ears, rather than on them... But not TOO large. I don't really like my dad's huge studio headphones for this reason).
6. ~$100
(microphone no longer a requirement)

I am by no means an audiophile... I have lived with low-quality sound all my life (other my dad's studio headphones for audio/video editing), so I am not in dire need of several hunder dollar headphones.

My dad and brother both own Razer's Carcharias, and the love them... I've been doing some reading online and people have been saying that their build quality isn't the greatest, the microphone isn't either, and the sound quality could be better. But, everyone seems to be saying they are really comfortable. - Out of the question based on comments, as well as what I've been reading elsewhere

So... anyone care to throw some suggestions out there?

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 20
Like you want durability, low leakage, microphone (no hi-fi headphones come with mics), large cups.

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #5 of 20
I would recommend Panasonic HTF-600s with beyerdynamic velour pads. It's under 55 shipped. The HTF-600 has good bass, and good sound quality all together, soundstage is ok probably not the best with gaming but DSPs like Dolby Headphone will still work pretty well with it. The cups aren't huge but they fit over the ears. The velour pads make the headphones very comfortable but after a few hours your ears might get a little warm, not a big deal though. The HTFs will leak a bit though just keep it at a reasonable volume, try not to go over 80 dB and I think you should be fine. As for mic you'll have to get one of those ten dollar zalman clip-ons off amazon.

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #7 of 20

Alright, there, happy? I put "As-good-as-possible-for-the-price" in front of all the requirements... I simply came on here to get some advice from knowledgable people about a low-end headset for gaming. The least you could have done was said "That budget is too low for the price," and ALSO said something like "A more reasonable price range for what you want would be $XXX" or even recommended what is, in your opinion, the best headset within the given price range.

Quote:
I would recommend Panasonic HTF-600s with beyerdynamic velour pads. It's under 55 shipped. The HTF-600 has good bass, and good sound quality all together, soundstage is ok probably not the best with gaming but DSPs like Dolby Headphone will still work pretty well with it. The cups aren't huge but they fit over the ears. The velour pads make the headphones very comfortable but after a few hours your ears might get a little warm, not a big deal though. The HTFs will leak a bit though just keep it at a reasonable volume, try not to go over 80 dB and I think you should be fine. As for mic you'll have to get one of those ten dollar zalman clip-ons off amazon.

Aha! A helpful post in sight! I have not lost faith in this forum just yet :) Alright, so what is the difference between the $55 ones and the $30 one on amazon (here: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-HTF600-S-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B004MMEI8W/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327885671&sr=8-1-spell), is it just the earpads? Also, are there any better options that come to mind within the price range? I can go up to $80-100 if needed.

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #8 of 20
Well, there is another option - you could use the antlion mod mic, which apparently works pretty well.  Something like $30 and it'll stick onto any headphones with a relatively flat surface on the side.  I'd then recommend a pair of headphones like the Creative Aurvana Live to use with it.

I'm being honest when I say there aren't really any good headsets for the price range you've asked for.  If you want headphones that are any good I'd recommend going this route.  The mic would be removable too so you'd also be able to use it as a normal pair of headphones.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #9 of 20
Trust me when I say it is better when you get the mic and headphones separately. Why? Lets say the mic fails on the headset, now you need to get a completely new headset. Also, you can get a cheap mic like this one for dirt cheap and spend the rest of your money on a headphone. I also recommend the Creative Aurvana Live! headphones as well and your will be spending around $60-70 for both and it meets your criteria.

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #10 of 20
The modmic is fantastic just very sensitive. Make sure you place it properly per instructions or you will pick up that party across campus.
Same headphones apply for every thread like this. Panasonic 600s(Semi-open), Superlux(semi-open or closed depending on model), CALs(closed), Koss KCS75(Open), Koss Portapros(Very Open), Monoprice 8323(Closed), IEMs if you need a lot more isolation. There are a few IEMs that have good soundstages for gaming that are cheaper. My JVC FX-66 actually have a decent soundstage for an IEM in it's price range. Comfort isn't always king with IEMs though as you may well know.
I am sure I am missing some of the cheapies.

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #12 of 20
I have the Razer Crap-as, bought them long before i got into head-fi type stuff.  They are comfy, but sound is majorly lacking, and the mic blows chunks.

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #14 of 20
I am not a huge gamer, and I have been using these mostly with Rosetta Stone, but I think the Plantronics 655 USB headset is a steal at <$30.00.   Good audio and very good microphone quality. These are not svelte -- quite robust size and build for what they are.

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #15 of 20

Users who are viewing this thread

Back