Headphone Recommendation
May 13, 2020 at 1:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

daydreamer88

New Head-Fier
Hi guys

Currently I'm using Audio technical ATH M50x headphone for the last couple of years and i would like to go for an upgrade.i have Fiio A3 amplifier to boost my headphone further. my budget would be 300-350$. suggest me an ideal headphone, i mostly listen to new age, Celtic, country folk, indian classical music and i rather prefer a flat response headphone rather than bass type. the headphone can be either open or closed, only the sound quality matter and im using it indoors only. New recommendations are welcome.

May 13, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #2 of 6
Hello,

Actually I have a Beyerdynamics 880 with the 250 ohms impedance option and it's marvelous.

It's a semi-closed headphone very comfortable I can have it for hours without any problem. The headphone is very neutral so it should be nice for what you're listening to. I use it with an integrated amplifier so I took the 250 ohms options but with your Fiio A3 you can have a lower impedance to get the best of it.

You can also check the other type of beyerdynamics headphones. A friend of mine has the DT990 pro I tried it a bit and it was a really good headphone too.

May 13, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #3 of 6
I have a dt 990 pro and very happy with them. But with that budget maybe you can get something better than the dt 880 or 990 pro.
Don't know what because I'm not an expert, but I think something better for sure

May 14, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #4 of 6
Hi guys

Currently I'm using Audio technical ATH M50x headphone for the last couple of years and i would like to go for an upgrade.i have Fiio A3 amplifier to boost my headphone further. my budget would be 300-350$. suggest me an ideal headphone, i mostly listen to new age, Celtic, country folk, indian classical music and i rather prefer a flat response headphone rather than bass type. the headphone can be either open or closed, only the sound quality matter and im using it indoors only. New recommendations are welcome.
Hello,

Actually I have a Beyerdynamics 880 with the 250 ohms impedance option and it's marvelous.

It's a semi-closed headphone very comfortable I can have it for hours without any problem. The headphone is very neutral so it should be nice for what you're listening to. I use it with an integrated amplifier so I took the 250 ohms options but with your Fiio A3 you can have a lower impedance to get the best of it.

You can also check the other type of beyerdynamics headphones. A friend of mine has the DT990 pro I tried it a bit and it was a really good headphone too.

@Wadax Any other options other than beyerdynamics? which fits the 300 - 350$budget?

May 14, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #5 of 6
@daydreamer88 check out the hifiman HE400S, it's a planar headphone that seems really good and really decent in term of price for what it is. It doesn't have too much bass, so for your music's style it shouldn't be an inconvenient.

You can find the link of head-fo reviews here :

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hifiman-he400s.20857/reviews

One of the downsize was the jack cable that was cheap but because it's only a 300$ headphone, you can definitely buy a good audio jack apart, if you haven't already one.

May 14, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 6
I'm a fan of the Alpha Dogs by MrSpeaker - now, they're still around $500 on the used market, but if you're down for a bit of DIY I'd suggest following Dan Clark's guide- link to that on Head-Fi. Building the Open Alpha is a fun endeavour, and you can build your own for under $300.

Some of the resources are buried a bit in the thread, but I've saved all the important files and templates in one place, along with all the other advice and guides outside of HeadFi that I could find on these headphones. It's not as tidy as I'd like it yet, but here's a link to that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back