Headphone recommendation please?
Dec 27, 2007 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

froggeh

New Head-Fier
Hi. I currently listen to most of my music at night on my laptop, but also on my fairly budget hifi setup( Arcam A80 amp/CD7SE CD).

I am currently using some £60 Sen HD 485s, which I think are pretty good (esp as an ipod upgrade), but tiring.
I want to spend up to £200 maybe a bit more (hopefully less), that will get the most of both PC and HiFi, and improve significantly on the 485's

(I listen to many music genres but mainly post-rock, indie pop/rock and idm for the moment)

My laptop has an xfi xtreme audio notebook installed.

I am looking for a more airy, open, detailed sound.

I use only very high quality mp3 rips, and flac on the PC.

Cheers.

ps I would rather NOT need an extra amp, but if that's a major sound upgrade then I'm all ears.

Dec 27, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by froggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You're already looking to spend way more than I've ever, but for airy, open, and detailed, I found my Grados just terrific. I only had the SR80s, and it sounds like you already had a pair better than those, but maybe the equivalent Grados for the price point you're considering? SR225s or SR325s?

Dec 28, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by froggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi. I currently listen to most of my music at night on my laptop, but also on my fairly budget hifi setup( Arcam A80 amp/CD7SE CD).

I am currently using some £60 Sen HD 485s, which I think are pretty good (esp as an ipod upgrade), but tiring.
I want to spend up to £200 maybe a bit more (hopefully less), that will get the most of both PC and HiFi, and improve significantly on the 485's

(I listen to many music genres but mainly post-rock, indie pop/rock and idm for the moment)

My laptop has an xfi xtreme audio notebook installed.

I use only very high quality mp3 rips, and flac on the PC.

Cheers.

ps I would rather NOT need an extra amp, but if that's a major sound upgrade then I'm all ears.

"For a more airy, open, detailed sound" I'd say the K-701, but you'd need an amp when a computer is used as source. If you got a good deal on the cans, say $250 US, then you could get a decent amp for $150 US.

Dec 28, 2007 at 9:03 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For laptop use (meaning it has to be somewhat portable), I'd recommend the Ultrasone HFI-15G.

There's no need for particular portability. I rarely use the laptop as a laptop
smily_headphones1.gif

I just would rather get something that will be decent straight from the haeadphone output of the soundcard.

Dec 29, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #7 of 7
Oh well. Never mind. I couldn't try any Grado's nearby, so in the end I have gone and ordered a set of Sen HD 595's based on the ease of driving, and allowing some budget for a headphone amp if I need it.
You never know at this price I may soon be back on the market for even better ones... You can;t have too many sets of headphones after all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back