headphone recommendation for work environment, $150 - $250 range
Oct 31, 2015 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

WhiteFireDragon

New Head-Fier
The amount of headphone choices are a bit overwhelming, so please list a few models in the $150 to $250 range for me to start my research based on my usage:

I listen to a wide variety of music, including trance, classical, ensemble, symphonic metal, and some mainstream pop. No high end amps or DACs, I'm just using this Asus Xonar Essence sound card. I already have Audio-Technica ATH-M50x for home usage.

This will be in a work environment, so here is the dilemma. I would like to be able to hear what's going on around me in case someone needs me, but I don't want my music to leak out to bother people around. Neither closed or open cans can achieve both of these. Is there such thing as semi-isolated headphones? If not please list a few open and a few closed cans. Thank you in advance.

Nov 1, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #4 of 7
I'm about to pull the trigger on some Beyerdynamic DT 880 (600ohm). Yes I know, they cost about double the amount that I initially was willing to pay. But I suppose that's a fairly common occurrence on here?
wink_face.gif

Would my Xonar Essence STX sound card be able to drive such high impedance?

Nov 1, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #6 of 7
Why not just picking the Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro (250 Ohm)?

Nov 2, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #7 of 7
  The amount of headphone choices are a bit overwhelming, so please list a few models in the $150 to $250 range for me to start my research based on my usage:
I listen to a wide variety of music, including trance, classical, ensemble, symphonic metal, and some mainstream pop. No high end amps or DACs, I'm just using this Asus Xonar Essence sound card. I already have Audio-Technica ATH-M50Xfor home usage.
This will be in a work environment, so here is the dilemma. I would like to be able to hear what's going on around me in case someone needs me, but I don't want my music to leak out to bother people around. Neither closed or open cans can achieve both of these. Is there such thing as semi-isolated headphones? If not please list a few open and a few closed cans. Thank you in advance.

Hopefully you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when the Essence STX card was installed.

Check out the Unified Xonar Drivers.
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

How close will your co-workers be sitting near you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back