Headphone recommendation for electronica/synthpop, $200-300 price range
Dec 30, 2009 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ratedgprodigy

New Head-Fier
Hey fellas

I'm in the market for new headphones. For years, I've used the MDR V-600 headphones that my brother gave me. They definitely have great volume, but I feel there must be better quality headphones in this price range. The bass is below average IMO. From most reviews I've read, they are far below the older MDR V-6's.

I can tell from researching this forum that you folks have experience and have varying opinions, so I thought I'd get some input. I have researched other topics concerning electronic headphones, but it seemed like most of them were dated back around 2006-2007. Fear it may be outdated advice.

I like all types of music, but I prefer electronica/synthpop with some dance rock. A sample of what I listen to:

Lady Gaga - Starstruck, Pokerface
Gigi D'Agostino - The Riddle, Blablabla
DJ Caffeine - Give it to me hard
Relanium - Leel Lost
Muse - Uprising
311 - Basically everything from the 90s...especially the album "Grassroots."
RHCP - 21st Century

Most important traits in a headphone:
1 Quality bass
2 Quality synths
3 Good sensitivity (where it won't get raspy at higher volumes)
4 Really don't care about vocals at all...

From the research I've done, it seems like people love Grados. I also got the impression that Grados were strong for the type of music I prefer.

My budget is around $200, but I would pay more if it made that much greater of an impact. Probably not over $300 at this time, however.

Considering I usually just plug my headphones into the outlet of $20 computer speakers, I might need to get a better amp too, so I'm open to advice on that.

Thanks for the assistance they're just so many options and considering I can't personally listen to all the headphones... the best I can do is get reviews from people who have used certain headphones :)

Dec 30, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 19
Try out the Denon 2000's. I use them for an extreme range of music, mostly ranging in dubstep, dnb, techno, house, trance and sounds great with jazz, classical and rock etc. The bass is very satisfying with them. Espically if you EQ them you can create any sound you want. I EQed them for 100% bass and they rattled my head with no distortion. This isn't how I listen to music but more a test to see how well they handled it.

Dec 30, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #7 of 19
For the record, I find bassier headphones to be suited quite poorly to synthy pop, and find that something tended towards the mids (and also perhaps a little to the treble) to be much more suited.

Grado might be of interest to you, or even an audiotechnica like the AD700 or AD900.

The AD700 and 900 have good quality bass but fairly low quantity.

Dec 30, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ratedgprodigy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like all types of music, but I prefer electronica/synthpop with some dance rock. A sample of what I listen to:

Lady Gaga - Starstruck, Pokerface
Gigi D'Agostino - The Riddle, Blablabla
DJ Caffeine - Give it to me hard
Relanium - Leel Lost
Muse - Uprising
311 - Basically everything from the 90s...especially the album "Grassroots."
RHCP - 21st Century

I think you got your genre wrong. What you listen to is simply pop/dance music, this is not electronica nor synthpop
ph34r.gif

Synthpop is: The Knife, Ladytron, Softcell, La Roux, etc.
Electronica is to wide to be defined but non of your preferred artist fit in this generic genre.

Possibly if you edit the title of this post you could get more recommendations of people that are into your music.

Dec 30, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #9 of 19
Any preference for Closed or open headphones? If all you are after is good bass I'd just get some M-Audio Q40 and save some money.

Dec 30, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the record, I find bassier headphones to be suited quite poorly to synthy pop, and find that something tended towards the mids (and also perhaps a little to the treble) to be much more suited.

Grado might be of interest to you, or even an audiotechnica like the AD700 or AD900.

The AD700 and 900 have good quality bass but fairly low quantity.

I agree with this for the synth pop. But for the music listed(which is not synthpop), the denons would probably be a good fit.

Dec 30, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #12 of 19
Denons 2000's are transparent to whatever music you want to listen too. Unlike other high end headphones you can get quantity of bass without distortion.

The only time I use ad700's is when I need to hear people around me. For electronica they are absolutely dreadful. Really outside of the gaming the ad700's in my mind just aren't good headphones.

And *** do not suggest M-Audio Q40. Their sound isn't bad, but their quality is on par with something you'd expect from the black market. Poorly made and within a couple of months you can expect the plastic to break or the drivers to fail.

Dec 30, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Folex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And *** do not suggest M-Audio Q40. Their sound isn't bad, but their quality is on par with something you'd expect from the black market. Poorly made and within a couple of months you can expect the plastic to break or the drivers to fail.

Uh what? I can agree with the stock cable being ****ty I guess, but unless you like dropping your headphones on the floor twice a day I don't see how they would break. Maybe you got a lemon because I've had mine for a while now and they still look mint despite being my portable cans.

Dec 30, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #14 of 19
I personally haven't owned any, but everytime I've seen a pair they have been broken. Not to mention if you look online @ reviews you'd see the same issue.

Dec 30, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Folex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally haven't owned any, but everytime I've seen a pair they have been broken. Not to mention if you look online @ reviews you'd see the same issue.

I can look online and find problems with pretty much anything you know, it doesn't prove anything. If anything, I find the Q40s very well built, especially considering that its got actual metal parts holding the pieces together.

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread any further, but cmon now .. Black market quality? Really? Its got its own 40+ pages thread here and aside from the cord I don't recall any unusual complaints about its built quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back