Headphone Recommendation: Audio Technica ATH-M50x v.s. V-Moda Crossfade M-100
Jan 21, 2015 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

anthonyhong21

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a headphone, and I am considering the Audio Technica ATH-M50x and V-Moda Crossfade M-100 headphones.
I will write down what I think in each department and ask some questions.
Please help me choose the one that is better (for me).

1. Comfort - I want my headphone to be comfortable. I was previously using on-ear headphones, but found the clamping force is a bit  too strong and hurt my ears. (I wear glasses.) The earpads don't have to be very plush; it just has to be somewhat decent and do not clamp too hard on my head. I have heard that the ATH-M50x's are more comfortable than the M-100's.

-Is there a big difference in comfort between the two headphoes? Which is more comfortable?

2. Design - I personally prefer the design of the M-100's, but I'm curious how big the ATH-M50x's are. I noticed that the M-100's have a more slimmer, thinner profile while the M50x's have a more bulky look to it.

-How big are the ATH-M50x's on the head? (I have a normal-sized head)
-How does the size compare between two headphones?

3. Sound - I want my headphone to have tight bass that is not too much. Just some enjoyable amount of tight bass is good. (I don't like when the bass is all over the place and sounds dirty.) Highs are also important to me. I want them to be accurate and sound clean. I just want clean sound with some fun in the low and high ends. I don't mind the mids lacking, but I don't want any emphasis in the mid range. I heard that the ATH-M50x has a very balanced/flat sound. On the other hand, I know that the M-100's have a more bass-emphasized sound but still has great highs.

-How bass-y are the M-100's? Is it too much bass? (I am not a basshead, just some bass is enough)
-Also, is there any 'fun' in the sound of ATH-M50x's? (I listen to electronic/dance music and some pop)

Please answer the questions and tell me which you think is better!

Jan 21, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #2 of 10
Can't go wrong with either, but I have to say that the M-100 is the better of the two.  Bass wise the M-100 is definitely stronger, but it is relatively clean.  Pair it with the XL pads and you can wear it for hours.  Package and accessory wise the M-100 wins too.  Of course the down side is cost, as the M-100 + XL Pads + VoIP BoomPro Mic can run you close to $400, vs. the sub $200 range of the M50x.

Jan 21, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #3 of 10
Thoughts:

1. These headphones are in different classes. I would say that ~$150 is fair for the M50X, and the M-100 hovers around $300 normally (was $250 through holidays). While both appear to be great models, the M-100 would likely be a step up.

2. I would say I have a larger head, but my ATH-M50 is plenty comfortable. It can get a bit hot in the ears after a couple hours, but semi-regular breaks can solve that.

3. The M-100's are customizable. As DrSheep said, you can get the XL pads, which should help on comfort. Then you can get different side plates, the BoomProMic, etc.

4. See if you can demo either/both of these models. I think some Best Buy stores are equipped with a high(er) end home theater section with M-100 demo units. You might also have a Guitar Center (or another chain) that would let you demo units in store. As much advice as we can give here, nothing is as good as actually listening to the headphone.

Jan 21, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #4 of 10
BTW, my head is huge as I have to wear XXL size helmet when I go race, and I can wear my stock M-100 with no extension without problems.

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #7 of 10
I heard that some face problems with the stock pads being too shallow and the ear touches the plastic driver, causing pain. Anybody experienced that? (I have no interest of getting the XL pads)

I have both versions and used them with no issues.  Just go demo them from any BestBuy, BrookStone, or Microsoft Store.

Jan 21, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #9 of 10
Where outside the US?  I am sure someone here might able to help.  Also, if you can't find a retailer that sells them, then try using one of those package/mail forwarding services.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back