Headphone reccomendation - tight and defined bass it's a must !
Jan 26, 2008 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Andreas_D

New Head-Fier
So...I want a new headphone with strong, punchy, thight and well defined bass and no harsh or sibilant highs.

I have SR60, but the bass is bloated, muddy, weak definion and dynamics. The amount of bass is ok, I could say I want more...
I also have K601, well defined, punchy, dynamic bass so I like the quality of K601 bass, BUT it lacks in quantity.
In conclusion, the headphone I'm looking for, is a K601(clear and detailed bass,mids and highs) with 770 amount of bass.
eek.gif

I'm going to spend arround 250$.I would accept even IEM but I don't like them to much...

Thank you for interest!

LE: sorry for the title, recommendation I mean...

Jan 26, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 28
I would start doing some research on Ultrasone. I've never heard any of their offerings myself, but everything I've read on them seems to suggest that they are usually quality bass monsters (and quite enjoyable for other parts of the sound spectrum, too).

*Cue everybody else who has real info to offer*

Jan 26, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 28
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Sennheiser HD-650 is an excellent choice. It has a lot of tight and defined bass, and the highs aren't fatiguing to listen to at all. I think getting it new from authorized retailers is around $330, but you can probably find it somewhere else for your price limit of $250.

Jan 26, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would start doing some research on Ultrasone. I've never heard any of their offerings myself, but everything I've read on them seems to suggest that they are usually quality bass monsters (and quite enjoyable for other parts of the sound spectrum, too).

*Cue everybody else who has real info to offer*

The Ultrasone Proline 750 (closed) and 2500 (open) both offer tight and clear bass with a lot of punch. They are not for everyone as I found out so you would be doing yourself a favor if you can audition them before buying or buy them used on the forum. I have owned both and really loved the bass, the instrument separation (good for metal music), and the detail, but just couldn't warm up to the overall presentation they offer because of the S Logic. YMMV.

Jan 27, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #7 of 28
Try to find a used pair of HD650... or new if you can find them that cheap.

Jan 27, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 28
if you're looking for high quantity and high quality bass. end your search. proline 750.

Jan 27, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you're looking for high quantity and high quality bass. end your search. proline 750.

I second Shahrose's comment. Ultrasone Proline 750. Final! (except for perhaps the Edition 9)

Jan 27, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #10 of 28
I think Ultrasone proline 750 is a bit expensive(400$ or 260euro), hd 650 are above my budget too. I looked even FS forum but I did't found any of these at my price range...

I wil do a research about SR225/325i. How it's bass compared to SR60? (quantity and quality wise)

Jan 27, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #11 of 28
HD650 requires very good amplifier to have deep and tight bass. Otherwise they sound bloated.

I haven't listened SR60. But I used to have SR325i. They have excellent bass deep and tight.

Jan 27, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Varma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD650 requires very good amplifier to have deep and tight bass. Otherwise they sound bloated.

Good point. My B-52 makes them thump, but that's a very powerful amp. My daughter threw them on her Zune one day and it sounded awful.

Jan 27, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #13 of 28
i bought my proline 750 for 300 USD. but that's only because i'm in canada. if i was in the US, i have seen them go for 250 brand new.

Jan 27, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Varma /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes. The HD-650 can be deep and tight, but you need a powerful amp that's fast and has good damping. Otherwise the HD-650 gets sloppy. The least expensive amp that handles them well is the Gilmore Lite.

Jan 27, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good point. My B-52 makes them thump, but that's a very powerful amp. My daughter threw them on her Zune one day and it sounded awful.

B 52
biggrin.gif
...it's just a dream for the moment

I will soon have de Zero Dac/amp with upgraded opamps. I will ask somebody if Zero could drive well HD650.

About Proline 750, I'm afraid of what can I do if I won't like their sound signature(S Logic). In addition I haven't found a price under 400$ yet...Maybe you could help me.

Also 225/325i remains on the list. I will read about them soon, I realy don't have time now
frown.gif

Cheers!

LE: The easiest to buy is 770/80 from a local shop, which doesn't offer the oportunity to listen them before buying.
mad.gif
Do you think an amp will make 770 bass to sound more tight and punchy and also improve its quality(not bloated or muddy) ?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back