Headphone Recabling : Beyer DT990 ?
Oct 27, 2006 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nichifanlema

500+ Head-Fier
I had my DT990 for about a month now, and I am enjoying it immensely.

Now, I was wondering if it would sound better if I get it recabled...any ideas?

And in case I do go for recabling, which cable/cabling service should I choose?

I know there's Moon Audio and Headphile....

and the cable i can choose :

Moon Audio : Black Dragon, Blue Dragon, Silver Dragon, Cardas

Headphile : BlackSilver, BlackCopper, BlackMax, BlackGold

How do these cables stack up each other? and which would be the best for Beyer DT990?

Oct 27, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 9
Take your best guess - these are too new. My best guess would be any change/improvement would be minimal. Please be a leader and jump in with both feet and try BlackGold - simply because I'm curious.

Oct 27, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 9
Well i think the best the cable can do is coloring a headphone from what i read through here. So basicaly what you want your headphone to do best or what do they lack to your ears, after that some knowledgeable people from here might give you a good advice.

Oct 27, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 9
I would get a Headphile cable, as I feel they are better built, and will be less annoying in terms of microphonics and stiffness. Sound-wise, I think a copper cable based solution would be preferable, since the 990's already have plenty of highs.

I have done my own recable job to the 990's, but without another pair to compare it's hard to say that the cable itself (copper in teflon) has improved the sound much (although balanced drive does).

Oct 28, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I would get a Headphile cable, as I feel they are better built, and will be less annoying in terms of microphonics and stiffness. Sound-wise, I think a copper cable based solution would be preferable, since the 990's already have plenty of highs.

I have done my own recable job to the 990's, but without another pair to compare it's hard to say that the cable itself (copper in teflon) has improved the sound much (although balanced drive does).

Hmm...I agree that DT990 having plenty of highs...I'd like it if I can somehow soothe this a little, and make the bass a little more tighter ...

So, is Headphile's Blackcopper the answer?

Oct 29, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #6 of 9
hmmm... any other ideas ?
confused.gif
confused.gif

Oct 29, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #7 of 9
any thoughts about DT990 '05 recbled with the Canare L-4E6S ??

Oct 29, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #8 of 9
Don't fix what's not broken! You said you enjoy these immensely as is, why recable it? Just my two cents.

Oct 30, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #9 of 9
I think that enjoying a headphone and thinking it couldn't use some improvement are two different things. Just like most products in audio ( here I go again!) headphones are built to a price point and the bean counters can be talked into allowing r&d funds for drivers and enclosures and plenty on cosmetics and ads. But can you imagine trying to pry enough money from them to research cabling. Good luck! And the time,.. "we've Got to get this released to the retailers before Xmas!"( note the Nov 05 release of the 990 ). Considering the above, I can't believe that there can't be an improvement in the 990's.
Personally, I agree with nichifanlema about a very,very slight rolling off of the highs and tightening the bass. And I can't say that I am ever really satisfied with the amount of details. I think that these are exactly the things that can be achieved with the right cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back