Headphone recable
Dec 15, 2007 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

DLim98

New Head-Fier
I was wondering if anyone could help me with recabling my headphones. The jack got ripped off at the bottom and I was going to replace just the jack, but I would have to get a soldering iron and I thought that might have been more of a hassle then recabling it. Thank you all for your help.

Dec 15, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 40
I forgot to mention that the headphones are bose triports so I would rather not spend a lot. Thank you guys again for your help.

Dec 15, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #3 of 40
I recabled mine by ripping from a stock iPod's phone 'coz I couldn't fine a slim jack, the ones at Radio Shack are big and butt ugly. Still needed an iron though, unless by recable u mean send it off to be done.

Dec 15, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #4 of 40
I just found out that my friend's dad has a soldering iron that I could use. Just wondering, but was it hard to recable them? I might just try to find a mini 1/8 jack to reattach to the cable? Also if anyone else had any ideas of how I could make them sound better since I might be opening them up anyways, that would be great. Also does anyone know what good, but cheap headphone cables/plug I could use? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm new to all this DIY stuff oh and thanks jsmithepa.

Dec 15, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #6 of 40
I was wondering if it was hard to open the triports up without damaging anything and if anyone had a guide.

Dec 16, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what should one use to recable?

i'minterested in recabling KSC75's, what can i use? Cat5e cable?

The cheapest and usually best bang/buck is SPC (Silver Plated Copper). I would recommend 24AWG from seller navships on eBay. Great guy to deal with, nice prices. Don't worry about the Kapton stuff, regular Teflon is just as good (if not better for headphones). At about $7 for 50', it can't be beat.

Dec 16, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #9 of 40
I ordered some navships stuff too. Getting ready to do some cables for the first time. His stuff is cheap as anything...$28 shipped for like 200 feet! Insanity!

Dec 16, 2007 at 6:47 AM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'minterested in recabling KSC75's, what can i use? Cat5e cable?

are u insane? the 1 gbit/sec rate will burn the transducer!!!
biggrin.gif
Not to mention stiff.

Dec 16, 2007 at 11:19 AM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He's far from the cheapest, just the most convenient.

That is definitely what I mean - the most conventient. At $7-$8 per 50' he is definitely a nice source for reasonably short length wire. At longer lengths, of course it's a large loss, in fact, it's more than 60% loss when you get 1000' of wire, but not many need that much. For people looking for headphone recables, building a few IC's or wanting to wire their DIY heaphone amps, he's still the pretty much the best source for wiring which is why I have bought from him so much and why I recommend him so easily.

Dec 16, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At longer lengths, of course it's a large loss, in fact, it's more than 60% loss when you get 1000' of wire, but not many need that much.

Doesn't even need to be that much, in some sizes I get about 2000' for what he charges for just 200'. It only really makes sense if you need just single 50' rolls of different sizes/colors, and not a foot more.

Dec 16, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #14 of 40
Where then do you suggest buying lengths of cable?

Dec 16, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #15 of 40
I was wondering if anyone had a step by step guide on how to recable headphones? Or like a website explaining how to do it if I got the wire from the ebay seller? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just new to this and I don't want to open up my headphones to mess it all up lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back