Headphone Re-cable: 2 different thickness cables?
Mar 31, 2010 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

francisdemarte

500+ Head-Fier
I bought some cables from Navships on ebay and going to do my first re-cable of my HD650's. The cables I bought are 25' of 22AWG and 25' of 24AWG.

Can I use cables of 2 different thicknesses for the re-cable? Do I have enough for about a 4' cable with 25' of cabling with braiding or do I need to order more?

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by francisdemarte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I use cables of 2 different thicknesses for the re-cable?

Sure, why not?
Quote:

Do I have enough for about a 4' cable with 25' of cabling with braiding or do I need to order more?

It's far more enough.

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks LK!

Only reason why I was wondering how much the braiding will shorten the cable. 25' divided by 4 cables needed is 5' per cable. I'm reasoning that the braiding itself will eat up another foot per cable. Is this pretty close?

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #4 of 9
Uhm... 25/4 is 5 now? And here I was thinking it's 6.25.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know what kind of braiding you're doing but mine doesn't usually eat up more than an a few inches for the a 6' cable.

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 9
Standard round litz braid will only a couple inches like Fallenangel said. You will end up with right around a 6 foot cable if you use the whole 25'. Most of the time I keep the sizes the same, just because it seems more right, but you won't notice a difference probably.

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #7 of 9
LOL my bad. Math is hard sometimes!

Been looking at braiding but most of the references are in regards to braiding rope. I guess wire doesn't need to be braided as tightly. Thanks everyone
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Been looking at braiding but most of the references are in regards to braiding rope.

Try searching here in the DIY forum for "Braid" or "Litz", there have been a few tutorials posted for different styles.

Apr 2, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #9 of 9
You only want a 5 foot cables? That's extremely short. You will be tethered to your rig with very little room to move, and the cable will be suspended in the air which means that half the weight of the cable will be on your head and neck (the other half on your amp, which doesn't matter). I would never do less than 8 feet, but I personally prefer between 11 and 13 feet. I can move wherever I need and the cable rests on the floor which takes most of the strain off your head and neck. Granted, my DHC Complement cable weighs more than most, but I've chosen longer lengths on previous cables for the same reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back