Headphone Purchase?
Jun 1, 2003 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Mr. X

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, after a few threads about different headphone questions, I'm finally ready to make a couple of purchases. A person should have excellent cans having spend this much money in portables, right?

Anyway, here's what I'm thinking...

1) D66 Eggos: These will be the primary headphones for my DR7. Yes, it's true I love Koss, but it sounds like these are truly meant for MD portables. From what I've read, they will not have too much leakage (where other people will hear my music).

2) Koss KSC-50: I will continue to use these for working out w/ the DR7. Leakage is important when running, and I think they sound good. It is the only set of portable Koss headphones that have decent sound AND a SHORT CORD (which I *insist* on having for my DR7, since I *always* use the remote).

3) Koss PortaPros: These will be for the iPod! If Eggos need a touch of a bass boost, then all I have to do is turn the bass up on the DR7. You can't really tweak the bass on the iPod (I have an older one), so the PortaPros should be the perfect combination! Supposedly (please correct me if I'm wrong), leakage is not too bad (I don't want people around me getting annoyed) *and* they are suitable for running. (I would have chosen KSC35's, but I'm thinking PortaPros will have less leakage) I'd like to leave these permanently attached to the iPod, as to not wear out the input.

I'm going to order by the end of the day, so I'd really appreciate some input on those three choices & observations.

Jun 2, 2003 at 12:26 AM Post #2 of 18
After a lot of searching on this board and help from fellow MD T-Station people, this is what it's come down to:

DR7: D66 Eggos
iPod: KSC35
Working Out: KSC50

What do you think of that?

Jun 2, 2003 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 18
That sounds like a good idea to me, although you may want to switch the KSC-50 and KSC-35 depending on which fits you better for working out. No way to know this until you buy them of course
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2003 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 18
I've been using the KSC50's for working out. Contrary to other people's opinions, I find them very comfortable for that purpose. However, I do want to upgrade sound quality, and that's why I think I'll go w/ Eggos for the DR7 and KSC35's for the iPod for all other use.

Since foamies will get nasty after awhile from sweating, for working out: I want to strictly use KSC50's. (sound is decent---which is all that's needed for working out; they're cheap and easy to replace)

I think I'm going to go ahead and place my order tonight. After a week of research, I feel confident that I'm making the right choice on cans.

Jun 2, 2003 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 18
It's done! I just placed my order.

audiocubes.com: D66 Eggos
koss.com: KSC35

I will listen to the DR7 w/ the Eggos & my iPod w/ KSC35s, and will comment once they've had several hours of listening. I can't wait!

Jun 2, 2003 at 2:33 AM Post #6 of 18
Heh, didn't notice you already had KSC-50's
rolleyes.gif
*slaps head*

Enjoy then, those are great portable setups.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2003 at 12:13 PM Post #7 of 18
next thign you can do is get some homeuse headphones,amp and nice source and notice you have spended over 1000$

Jun 6, 2003 at 12:12 AM Post #8 of 18
Wow. I'm sitting here in awe listening to my newly-arrived KSC-35's. My eggos are due to arrive tomorrow, and I'm thinking about not even opening the box and returning them after hearing how good *these* sound.

I had no idea my iPod could sound this good. I hate to admit it, but after comparing these amazing Koss cans to my MD DR7, I've discovered that with them on---the iPod smokes the DR7.

Perhaps it will be a different story if I try the eggos out on my DR7---maybe those are just more suited for MD portables. If that's not the case, it would probably be best to just return the eggos before I even open them..

Jun 6, 2003 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 18
Okay, I finally received the D66 eggos; here are my thoughts:

When I first opened up the box, I couldn't believe how HUGE they were! This is exactly what I had feared; upon further research, I was convinced they would be a LOT smaller than I thought. Nope. They are way too big. I don't understand how these are considered to be "portable"! I sure don't think they are. Also, I read how they can smash your hair, and all, but THIS BADLY???? They smash my hair down worse than my Koss UR-40's!!! Not good.

Now that I got that out of the way, it's time to talk sound:

First, I tried them w/ the DR7. Outstanding! [I really don't believe in the "burn-in" theory (I think that's all in people's heads)... MY opinion, of course. I could be proven wrong, who knows.]

I'm not a big basshead; clarity is so much more important, and these cans have it! I compared the KSC35's to them. The result? They don't sound anywhere near as good as the D66's do on the MiniDisc portable! I'm very impressed (with the sound).

Next, it was time to try the iPod:

After a good long listen, I was surprised to discover that the KSC35's completely blow away the sound of the eggos on the iPod! I guess it really is true! The type of headphones you use depends on the source, and the Eggos just don't cut it on the iPod. Like people have said, the bass is lacking....BIG TIME. It was perfect on the DR7; too weak on the iPod.

Conclusion: Koss KSC35's are the perfect headphones for the iPod, and the Sony D66 Eggos are the best I've heard on the DR-7 MD portable. No doubt about it.

Will I keep everything? Only if I decide the eggos are acceptable for listening "on the go".....smashed head, bulky...I just don't know.......I mean, my Koss UR-40's are excellent cans for at-home use, so if eggos aren't portable, there's just no point......hmmmm.......need time to think....

Any thoughts?

Jun 6, 2003 at 10:48 PM Post #11 of 18
I have the only solution for the hair thing, keep a pencil or pen with you at all times, put on the eggos...take pencil and pull hair out from underneath the headband, you might look kind of weird, but not as weird as you would after you take them off if you didn't.

heh, if you think eggos are big, you should try some full cans! ha, you'd be scared
smily_headphones1.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 6, 2003 at 10:56 PM Post #12 of 18
Uh, the eggos sound way better than the UR-40s, if you dont find them good for portable use, at least use them at home until you get something better. to me, UR-40=ass.
-Mag

Jun 6, 2003 at 11:07 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915

heh, if you think eggos are big, you should try some full cans! ha, you'd be scared
smily_headphones1.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm not an idiot; I've tried cans of all sizes.

I'm saying that the eggos are really big "PORTABLE" headphones---which they are.

Jun 6, 2003 at 11:11 PM Post #15 of 18
I once had the most powerful headphone system in the world, I put three pieces of duct-tape and attached the two to the top of two of my Z-560s speakers (so it wouldn't stick to my hair) and put the other to the bottom, stuck on well, but was about 5 pounds, so kind of heavy, and extremely loud (110+watts...yeah), and the subwoofer worked great too, but annoy other people on the bus a lot...lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back