Headphone Prices
Jan 24, 2024 at 7:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

marone

100+ Head-Fier
This is an observation and discussion, not a complaint.

First headphones I heard were Koss 4aaa in 1975. First purchased were an original 1978 AKG 240 silver ring not Sextett.
$189.
Then 10 years later Beyerdynamic DT 880.
S219.

Both sets lasted a decade of heavy DJ booth use in clubs. 1000s of hours each.
Price ceiling then was $200 as "expensive'.
$300 would have been seen as very expensive. Nothing beyond that I could find then.

I own a set of HD 6XX (great sound and superior to 240 and 880) and will be buying a pair of SRH1540 soon.
Budget of $500 has not too many options for what I value in SQ and to get better (from what I have learned here by reading many reviews) would require a big jump to $600+ or even $1600+.

Now, the variety of cans in 2024 is huge compared to back then. Many more flavors of sound to choose from and an enormous body of knowledge online to sort out preferences. This is much better than 1989.

Also, prices are understandable.
Then we spent a sum on a receiver, turntable, cartridge, speakers, and tape deck. CD player later. And then sources of albums tapes and CDs.
S2k to $5k all in for a good system plus 500 albums at $6 each.

Now, that same exact amount is spent on just the headphones and a DAC/Amp combo. Many have multiple sets of headphones, few - very few - had multiple speaker sets back then.

Resolution of new headphones is vastly greater than then. I have a pair of old AKG 240s from then (not mine a set bought 2 years ago) and while these sound excellent, the amount of detail retrieval of most over $200 in 2024 is far better.

In modern terms those 240s would be viewed as a good starter set and perhaps a bit overpriced as many current 2024 $50 phones would have far superior bass and tonality, more vibrant and detailed soundstage.

Bass, modern bass, just did not exist in headphones then. Koss 4aaa had none, and hard ear pads, etc. Beyerdynamic and AKG sound good (especially on Classical) but with modern headphones to contrast it is no contrest.

Whilst looking for a closed pair at $500 these thoughts came to me as I realised that to do better than the 1540 would necessitate a jump to $800 or even $2k.

It is likely I will buy such in the future but not until I upgrade my amp and dac.

Not a complaint, just an observation that to improve upon $500 would require not $600 but $1600+.

I can afford that, but it seems...exponential(?)...in the step up function to do better.

Again back then this level of performance simply did not exist and lines such as planar magnetics were not around.

No one needed to drive their headphones from speaker outputs in 1978.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #2 of 22
Bear in mind that $200 in 1980 dollars is about $750 today, adjusted for inflation. You can get some killer headphones for $750 today, or alternately you can get those same DT-880s for even less than the $219 you spent way back then, which works out to around sixty bucks in 1980 dollars.

You said it yourself - headphones are much more capable now, and with the expansion of the market you're going to see shocking examples at both ends: pinnacle-fi units with price tags equivalent to six months worth of mortgage payments, and cheap gear (including not just headphones, but DACs and amps) that sounds way better than it has any right to sound.

Jan 24, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #3 of 22
Was also gonna say that those $200 headphones in 1978 would be equivalent to about $1000 now.

But the answer to your bigger question is that we now have a lot more options across a lot more price ranges, types of headphones, use cases, and so on. Everything from a Harman-tuned iem with detachable cables for $10 up to an HE1 setup for $60k.

Lots more options across nearly all imaginable prices.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #4 of 22
Again back then this level of performance simply did not exist and lines such as planar magnetics were not around
See vintage ortho round up thread. Some of the models from back then are still very competitive with hi-fi offerings today. Those vintage ortho / planar drivers were built to a higher standard. If those vintage ortho headphone’s magnets could be updated to modern strength magnets then that would be very interesting… Some vintage planar’s despite the magnet tech disparity compete with today’s planars like HE6se or LCD2C.

Ive read that some dynamics from the 70’s were kicking out some great bass like Pioneer Monitor 10 but Ive not tried personally.

Stax electrostatics were also around in the 70s but they werent bringing the bass thunder like some vintage planar.

Peruse @GREQ headphone measurement database for some vintage bass.

Jan 24, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #5 of 22
Whilst looking for a closed pair at $500 these thoughts came to me as I realised that to do better than the 1540 would necessitate a jump to $800 or even $2k.
This statement is particularly irking. Youre parroting some fools. That’s a ridiculous statement as price is not always indicative of sound quality. 1540 Ive not heard but gut feeling says poor value. I bet you will like 6XX more than 1540.

Jan 24, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #6 of 22
This is an observation and discussion, not a complaint.

First headphones I heard were Koss 4aaa in 1975. First purchased were an original 1978 AKG 240 silver ring not Sextett.
$189.
Then 10 years later Beyerdynamic DT 880.
S219.

Both sets lasted a decade of heavy DJ booth use in clubs. 1000s of hours each.
Price ceiling then was $200 as "expensive'.
$300 would have been seen as very expensive. Nothing beyond that I could find then.

I own a set of HD 6XX (great sound and superior to 240 and 880) and will be buying a pair of SRH1540 soon.
Budget of $500 has not too many options for what I value in SQ and to get better (from what I have learned here by reading many reviews) would require a big jump to $600+ or even $1600+.

Now, the variety of cans in 2024 is huge compared to back then. Many more flavors of sound to choose from and an enormous body of knowledge online to sort out preferences. This is much better than 1989.

Also, prices are understandable.
Then we spent a sum on a receiver, turntable, cartridge, speakers, and tape deck. CD player later. And then sources of albums tapes and CDs.
S2k to $5k all in for a good system plus 500 albums at $6 each.

Now, that same exact amount is spent on just the headphones and a DAC/Amp combo. Many have multiple sets of headphones, few - very few - had multiple speaker sets back then.

Resolution of new headphones is vastly greater than then. I have a pair of old AKG 240s from then (not mine a set bought 2 years ago) and while these sound excellent, the amount of detail retrieval of most over $200 in 2024 is far better.

In modern terms those 240s would be viewed as a good starter set and perhaps a bit overpriced as many current 2024 $50 phones would have far superior bass and tonality, more vibrant and detailed soundstage.

Bass, modern bass, just did not exist in headphones then. Koss 4aaa had none, and hard ear pads, etc. Beyerdynamic and AKG sound good (especially on Classical) but with modern headphones to contrast it is no contrest.

It is likely I will buy such in the future but not until I upgrade my amp and dac.

Not a complaint, just an observation that to improve upon $500 would require not $600 but $1600+.

I can afford that, but it seems...exponential(?)...in the step up function to do better.

Again back then this level of performance simply did not exist and lines such as planar magnetics were not around.

No one needed to drive their headphones from speaker outputs in 1978.
Prices have gone through the roof for TOTL headphones. However, we are spoiled for choice in entry level to Mid-Fi, which is where I hang out. $500.00-$1,000.00 in Canuck Bucks (Canadian $'s) gets you some Very nice headphones.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I picked up a nice set from FiiO called FT5's. $599.00, plus tax.
A couple of months ago, I picked up a barely used set of Senn HD660S2's for $650.00, including shipping. With a single mod they have joined the top tier in my collection.

Yes, you can spend $2K to $6K in US dollars on a set of headphones, but I don't ever plan on doing that. Short of a lotto win. :smile:

I don't have golden ears, so I am not sure I could appreciate the differences anyway.

There has never been a better time to be in this hobby, at any level.:thumbsup:

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #7 of 22
.... the classification 'mid-fi', for me, pertains more to price - because there are examples of 'mid-fi' priced headphones that are stellar in sound quality (with the right associated gear). Senn HD600, Senn HD660S2, Neumann NDH-30 immediately come to mind. ☑️

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #8 of 22
Bear in mind that $200 in 1980 dollars is about $750 today, adjusted for inflation. You can get some killer headphones for $750 today, or alternately you can get those same DT-880s for even less than the $219 you spent way back then, which works out to around sixty bucks in 1980 dollars.

$189 in 1978 was 6 weeks of my take home pay flipping hamburgers.

In 2024 that will buy me any flagship.

Vinyl still takes exact same number of hours to buy 1x lp.

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #9 of 22
This statement is particularly irking. Youre parroting some fools. That’s a ridiculous statement as price is not always indicative of sound quality. 1540 Ive not heard but gut feeling says poor value. I bet you will like 6XX more than 1540.
I am expressing my own insights and repeating no one else.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #11 of 22
Prices have gone through the roof for TOTL headphones. However, we are spoiled for choice in entry level to Mid-Fi, which is where I hang out. $500.00-$1,000.00 in Canuck Bucks (Canadian $'s) gets you some Very nice headphones.

There has never been a better time to be in this hobby, at any level.:thumbsup:
Agreed.
I can choose one set for only orchestral music that requires a massive soundstage, another for timbre accuracy for close-mic folk, yet another for bass slam, impact, and transient attack for rock and fusion and pop.

3x $1800 for various types of music to get performance that was not possible 20 years ago.

Good times, indeed.

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #12 of 22
Sorry about your wallet, but you asked for it.
No worries I can afford it now.
Inflation has averaged 4% yoy since 1980 btw.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #13 of 22
I am expressing my own insights and repeating no one else.

However, there is one fool in this thread, of that I am certain.
I didnt call you a fool, fool! Besides I shared info you were ignorant of, ignoramus!

Your insights are based on second hand opinions which makes you not a fool. Head-Fi and audio impressions in general are suspect for many reasons. I feel its a mistake to ignore swaths of headphones by assuming 6XX to 1540 to “$800-2000” is the upgrade path.

Jan 24, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #14 of 22
.... 🤔🤨 you accuse @marone of 'parroting' yet you have 'not heard' and rely on 'gut feeling' .... 🤨🤔 .... 🫵❓

Jan 24, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #15 of 22
.... 🤔🤨 you accuse @marone of 'parroting' yet you have 'not heard' and rely on 'gut feeling' .... 🤨🤔 .... 🫵❓
Yes. I carefully clarified my understanding to show that I was only guessing while Marone said he “realized” and used as evidence for his “Headphone Prices” thesis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back