Headphone Plug Wearing
Sep 14, 2010 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4
Well i've owned my D2000 (now MD2000 Markl Modded) for around 2 years now and the plug is finally starting to wear a little bit (as in if I turn it enough, the connection will get loose, and signal will drop to 1 ear like how it sounds with a frayed cable)

I have a few options I thought I'd run by you guys:

1. Save up a modest amount of money and recable with APSv3 which i've heard good things about

2. Just buy a Neutrik or something 1/8 or 1/4 jack and get someone to solder it on (by far the cheapest option but I don't know anyone who has a solder)

3. Save up lots and splurge for the Jena Lab Wire (which i'm very skeptical about, by far the least appealing option since I've never heard them)

Right now I am inclined to pick number 1 , as the denon cable itself has been showing signs of wear after 2 years of love, and I'd love to hear if all the cable hype is justified.

Opinions on this would be great. Thanks again love you all *hugs*

-Ambient Revolution

P.S they are very usable and will be for quiet some time, because i never unplug them, or move them around, just trying to find out my best option, as I'd rather fix the problem before the plug just dies or something, or the connection becomes further frayed, and i'd have to replace it anyway. Just want to deal with the problem now instead of later, or at least in the near future, if I need to save up money.

Sep 14, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 4
Are there any visible signs of wear on the plug? You might want to try plugging into a different amp to make sure it's not your amp's jack that is wearing out or coming loose.

I would add two more options:

4. Recable with pro-audio cable like Canare or Mogami star quad.

5. Recable with a used aftermarket Sennheiser cable (Cardas or whatever) from the FS forums here. A few people have sold their HD6xx headphones but still need to sell the cables. Save a bit of money this way if you're into fancy cables.

For both of these options you will also need someone who can solder.

Sep 14, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 4
It's definitely a jack problem, as I can reproduce it if I wobble my jack in a certain way at a certain angle it will start to lose connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back