Headphone plug getting really warm/hot after unplugging from tube amp
Jun 10, 2007 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Grey Massacre

500+ Head-Fier
Hello there,

Just wondering if the fact that my headphone plug is getting pretty hot after a few hours of use has an impact on the lifespan of my headphone cable, aren't cable meant to run "hot" without being a problem?

Thanks,

Charles

Jun 10, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #2 of 22
Charles, thanks for starting this thread. This is something that's been bothering me for as long as I've owned tubes. I have the LD2+ and 2++, and both run very hot -- so hot that you can't touch them until they've been turned off for a while. Because of this, I use an extension out of the headphone jack. I don't want to "burn" my expensive after-market headphone cable plugs. I also use lesser quality RCA interconnects for the same reason. I always wonder if I'm being too careful and that, maybe, cables are made to withstand this kind of heat.

Jun 10, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Charles, thanks for starting this thread. This is something that's been bothering me for as long as I've owned tubes. I have the LD2+ and 2++, and both run very hot -- so hot that you can't touch them until they've been turned off for a while. Because of this, I use an extension out of the headphone jack. I don't want to "burn" my expensive after-market headphone cable plugs. I also use lesser quality RCA interconnects for the same reason. I always wonder if I'm being too careful and that, maybe, cables are made to withstand this kind of heat.

Well, in all the time you have been using the sub standard plugs/wire to connect to the amp, have they sustained any damage, if not, then plug your premium plugs/cable into the amp direct ...

Jun 11, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 22
I agree the more mechanical or soldered connections there are the more sound degrades. If concerned put an small fan in front of the plug area to kee it cool.
wink.gif

Jun 11, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by java /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, in all the time you have been using the sub standard plugs/wire to connect to the amp, have they sustained any damage, if not, then plug your premium plugs/cable into the amp direct ...

Good point. No, no damage as far as I can see. Still, the heat is an ongoing concern. Have any of you tubers sustained any kind of damage or degradation in your headphone plugs or cables due to heat?

Jun 11, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree the more mechanical or soldered connections there are the more sound degrades. If concerned put an small fan in front of the plug area to kee it cool.
wink.gif

In posts elsewhere, others have said external fans don't seem to reduce the heat -- likewise drilling holes in the chassis or adding heat sinks to the case. If someone's tried a fan and it's worked, let us know.

Jun 11, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 22
Why the amp got so hot on the front and back panels, is it completelly covered??? That is not normal, the tubes are usually in the center of the amp, so the heat should be moderate if any in the front or back...

If this is the case you should ventilate that amp. Try to use a fan in the front of the amp, if it is not posible to cool it down in a different way, use also tube coolers, those will reduce the heat:

http://www.partsconnexion.com/audiog...QuickStart.pdf

The cooler it will work the more the tubes will last and the better it will work...

One thing is sure, cable jackets at least, do get damaged with heat, the plastic of the jackets tend to get hard and eventually crack...they are not intended to be used in those temperatures, unless special cases...i ahve seen a few cables bet ruined that way, like roasted...

Jun 11, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why the amp got so hot on the front and back panels, is it completelly covered??? That is not normal, the tubes are usually in the center of the amp, so the heat should be moderate if any in the front or back...

Hey guys,

The amp I am talking about is the LD2++ v2, yes the front panel is getting hot, pretty hot, I could say 40-50c? I have no thermometer to measure it but this is an approximation. I believe the case itself serve has a heat sink. I have other tubes on order and I have heard they run significantly cooler but I doubt it is going to make such a difference. The amp also is in a very cool environment.

Having Darth's on the way (and considering their value and the time I waited for them) I am pretty hesitant to run them directly off the amp, I feel I will need to get an extension or something seeing the cable jacket is some kind of rubber on the cable termination, over time I believe it might have a lot of impact on it's durability.

I will email David which is a representative for little-dot and see what he has to say, if any of you is interested I will get back with his reply.

EDIT:

After 2 hours a user measured temperatures at various points on the chassis with a Fluke 62 Mini IR Thermometer.

60.8 C top cover between the tubes
47.8 C top cover on the side of the transformer
38.6 C top of transformer
42.8 C front panel
42.0 C back panel

The power supply caps are rated at 85 degrees C
The rest that I could read are rated at 105 degrees C

Thanks,

Charles

Jun 11, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got a LD2++ enroute. Is it safe to say that you should limit your listening to a couple hours at a time?

Hello there,

I usually listen 2-3 hours per sessions, I am not really worried about the heat, I am worried about the headphones I plug into this amp. The case gets hot after all this is a tube amp and it is meant to generate heat!

Charles

Jun 11, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please... post the reply from David. I have a new pair of 595s I'd rather not burn up.

Hi,

Well I am not worried about my stock Beyer DT770/80. I am worried about cable termination with a rubber sleeve over.

Charles

Jun 11, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Massacre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

The amp I am talking about is the LD2++ v2, yes the front panel is getting hot, pretty hot, I could say 40-50c? I have no thermometer to measure it but this is an approximation. I believe the case itself serve has a heat sink. I have other tubes on order and I have heard they run significantly cooler but I doubt it is going to make such a difference. The amp also is in a very cool environment.

Having Darth's on the way (and considering their value and the time I waited for them) I am pretty hesitant to run them directly off the amp, I feel I will need to get an extension or something seeing the cable jacket is some kind of rubber on the cable termination, over time I believe it might have a lot of impact on it's durability.

I will email David which is a representative for little-dot and see what he has to say, if any of you is interested I will get back with his reply.

Thanks,

Charles

If this is the way the amp "should work", I strongly reco to find a way to cool it down, use tube coolers, different tube complements, or even a fan close to it. Just imagine if the front panel get 50 degrees, how hot will be the tube itself, and how hot the parts inside that case??? 50 degrees is the temperature of operation of some big transistors properly sinked, those tubes are running extremelly hot to be normal...How many tube amps of that size, you have seen running that hot...Why not using a plastic jack instead then, like those black Neutrik ones....

Jun 11, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How many tube amps of that size, you have seen running that hot...

Sovkiller,

One, my only and first tube amp!

Notice that I edited my post and added some temperature measurements.

This is why I am seeking advices and thank you for your thoughts, really appreciated. You are right active cooling seems to be needed!

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back