Headphone Pairing Question
Dec 25, 2009 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mewrei

Head-Fier
I'm looking to get a set of decent cans that have a relaxed feeling to them. I'll mostly be listening to rock, metal, and techno/electronica/variants therein while doing homework or programming or some other task, so I'd like something that's comfortable to wear and isn't fatiguing on the ear (I'm sensitive to bright sounds).

I'll also be pairing this set of headphones with the CK²III (from my research, I've found that techno sounds best on solid state and rock sounds good, I'd prefer to have a single amp on my desk due to space concerns) and a Prodigy HD2 Advance DE as the source.

Unfortunately, I only within the last 6 months got into high-fidelity audio so I do have a sizable collection of MP3/AAC music that I'd prefer not to replace (I also listen to di.fm and Pandora a lot).

So basically what I'm looking for is a can that won't fatigue my ears (externally or mechanically), is pleasant to listen to over long periods, and goes well with the CK²III.

I've picked out the Beyerdynamic DT990, Sennheiser HD600, and Sennheiser HD650 as possible candidates for this. Any opinions on the matter?

Dec 26, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 10
If you're sensitive to highs, I'd avoid Beyers. The Senns are a good choice. The 600s are better balanced tonally overall IMO, with the 650s slightly stronger bass and lower treble. The 600s I found to be surprisingly good with bass-laden music, even though it's generally considered a fairly "neutral" headphone.

Dec 26, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #3 of 10
HD580/HD600's are very timid. Perfect for this.

I have no idea why you thought the DT990 would be a candidate. Completely not what you want.

Dec 26, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #4 of 10
I was mostly thinking the DT990 for the physical comfort factor really, I hadn't really heard much about them being too bright though.

Dec 26, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #5 of 10
I said 650 because my 650's work extremely well with electronic and all types of rock. I don't think you'd be disappointed with the 600's if you went with them

Dec 26, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #6 of 10
That's the only downside to Senns -- that they aren't comfortable new. Try for a second-hand pair as once the pads are worn in they are fine.

Dec 26, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #7 of 10
Hmmm sounds like the Senn's are the way to go. Debating over the HD600's vs HD650's. Any huge difference which would make one better than the other (for my purposes at least)?

Jan 1, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #8 of 10
hi there fellas. I'm actually into shoes and I was searching as far as something that meticulous brand. The prices due to the fact that the boots were around 230 dollars everwhere. But completely I bring about this location selling them for the benefit of half price. I in reality like these prada sneakers. I will absolutely purchase them. what can you tell me about these?

Jan 1, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #9 of 10
The HD600, in addition to being a better-sounding headphone, is significantly more comfortable than the HD650. The clamping force is reduced to more tolerable levels, and the headband is more comfortable over extended listening sessions. The added comfort of the HD600 is one of the main reasons I settled on it over the HD650. SQ-wise, I've found that the HD600 has more sparkle in the highs than the HD650. It has less of a mid-bass hump too. Overall, it sounds more neutral to me.

Just one person's opinion, but I've spent quite a bit of time with both cans.

Jan 2, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #10 of 10
The comfort and clamping force of the HD600 really depends on the size and shape of your head. If you have a skinny head the clamping force isn't going to be an issue at all and the headphones will be supremely comfortable. If you have a large or wide head the clamping force in their stock state is going to be too much.

I have a skinny head. The clamping force has been just right for me and the headphones are very comfortable.

I didn't realize how bad the clamping could be till I went to a local meet and saw some of the larger head members putting on HD6xx headphones. OMG, I thought their eyes would pop out. The ear pads were squished like pancakes and had the life squished out of them (they were permanently squished and would not fluff back when taken off). My HD580 and HD600 are over 10 years old and the pads still look almost new. No significant permanent compression of the foam. The only pad I've had to replace due to permanent compression is the pad on the headband. My ear pads have been fine (I do wash them occasionally). There is obviously a big difference in clamping force between skinny heads and large heads.

There is a thread here that explains how to stretch the HD6xx headband. The trick is to extend the cups fully and bend the flat metal part outward. Don't attempt to stretch out the plastic headband. You'll only end up cracking the headband. Bend the metal part of the band only.

The HD600 are nicely forgiving of harsh highs. Very nice for modern masters and remasters where they overly sharpen and steepen the transients to get more "pop" in the music. The HD600 tame that a bit. I've not had any significant listening to the HD650 to compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back