Headphone N88b Needing Advice! SR60 or HD595?
May 30, 2007 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Silentscope

New Head-Fier
Hi guys I could do with some advice and hope you could help.

I plan on picking up some decent headphones for home use. My main source of music is through my PC.

They will probably be driven by my Yamaha AX-392 Stereo Amp which is connected to my Auzentech X-Meridian Soundcard. Also for use on my laptop on occasions.

I'm finding it hard to find a good range of headphones here in the UK, especially at a good price.

I am considering either the Senn HD595 or Grado SR60. I have about £90 to spend.

I mainly listen to 192kbps or better mp3's and enjoy mainly Indie/Rock (pianos, guitars, drums).

I'm looking for a open but warm sounding headphone, lots of detail, midrange, separation of instruments. I don't like harsh highs or too much bass.

What do you guys recommend even if not my suggestions!? All advice is appreciated! Any good places to buy here in the UK?

Thanks

May 30, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 16
SR-60 is too low on the totem pole for your budget, and I'm not a big fan of the HD595, though some are. Have you considered an Alessandro MS-1? Cheap, better than an SR-60, and should fit well with your indie/rock tastes.

May 31, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 16
If you're going to do any gaming then that tips the balance to the HD595.

Personally, I enjoy the 595 more then Alessandros for indie and punk rock: Grados and Alessandros don't have the soundstage or warmth for percussions IMO.

But Grados do have an upfront and detailed nature. They'll bring out electric guitars well.

May 31, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 16
The HD595's were the first serious set of cans I bought and I don't think I could ever part with them. They have a fantastic sound (a little lacking in the bass and rolled off in the high trebles) and they really do not need amplification, but I do use my Corda Arietta with them.
wink.gif
I listen to pretty much every form of music around (including some forms of noise) and the 595's always deliver IMO.

Be warned about this place, your wallet is constantly under attack in these forums (mine has taken a beating that's for sure). So I feel that a good start is something not OVER your price bracket, stick to your guns (unlike most of us at Head-Fi).
very_evil_smiley.gif

You want 595's try "electromonster" on ebay. Located in the UK. I have bought 3 pairs through this dealer and it has always been good. I just looked up their page but it seems they have nothing for sale at the moment, so I am not sure if they are still operating or not....hopefully they are.

Happy Hunting.
cool.gif

May 31, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #5 of 16
For that budget you should do SR80's...they are easily driven by anything.

May 31, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #6 of 16
I don't do much gaming so its really for relaxing and listening to music for a couple of hours. The 595's do look really comfy tho! It just looks like you get more for your money.

My local Hi-fi shop has SR80's for £110! Anyway, you can get them new and sealed on Ebay for £78 so I'm thinking these might be the ones.

I've seen the MS-1 talked about but they seem really rare in the UK. Where to people get them from and am I better to go with the SR80's?

May 31, 2007 at 10:35 AM Post #8 of 16
Just in case you don't know, SR80s are the same as SR60s except they have a better headband or something. MS1s are probably about equal in sound quality to SR80s but you can get the MS1s for $100 shipped from www.alessandro-products.com.

Grados are extremely expensive outside of the US, so if you want Grados I'd suggest buying a used pair off these forums. I think SR80s retail for about 40 quid in the US. You could get a pair of SR225s for around $160 US + shipping from these forums, probably less.

By the way, another headphone you might want to check out is the Goldring DR150. I think it's around 70 quid and it's quite popular on head-fi (do a search for the thread about them). They're supposed to be good for indie rock. Anyway, I think it should be HD595 vs. DR150 vs. SR225.

May 31, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #9 of 16
Finding this a hard decision as there are so many different opinions on the forum!

The 595 has a better soundstage apparantly but I dont quite understand what that means! I typically listen to the likes of Grandaddy, Wilco, Neil Young, Snow Patrol. Its open, warm and detailed that I'm after.

I think its going to be between the SR80 and the HD595.

I'm worried that the SR80's will be too bright sounding especially with the compression of mp3's. Peple talk about the Grados becoming difficult to listen to for long periods.

May 31, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knockturne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just in case you don't know, SR80s are the same as SR60s except they have a better headband or something. MS1s are probably about equal in sound quality to SR80s but you can get the MS1s for $100 shipped from www.alessandro-products.com.

Pretty close indeed! The difference between SR-60 and SR-80 other than the bowl pads on the SR-80 vs "confies" on the SR-60 are in the cable. The SR-60 has a three conductor cable, while the SR-80 uses a four conductor unit. Do they have slightly different drivers? I dunno....nobody knows for sure but John, and he ain't talkin'!! Seriously; there has been some discussion as to whether there is a difference or not, but as far as I've read thus far there doesn't seem to be an answer everyone can agree on.

The MS-1 on the other hand use the same upgraded materials used in the SR-125, but with its' own driver used in the MS-1 only. The MS series is reported to be more neutral and analytical than their more "fun" and exciting Grado brothers and sisters.

May 31, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #11 of 16
Grados are fantastic for rock music. However do not get them if you will be gaming with them. They are far too harsh sounding and will fatigue your ears very quickly.

Go either Sennheiser HD595 or Audio Technica A900

May 31, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

The 595 has a better soundstage apparantly but I dont quite understand what that means! I typically listen to the likes of Grandaddy, Wilco, Neil Young, Snow Patrol. Its open, warm and detailed that I'm after.

Its bit though comparison. Sennheisers are warm and details are all there, but airyness (also it depends what one means by airy sound) is questionable sometimes due to recessed uppermids and rolled off highs. Grados in the other hand are very airy, but also very aggressive and bright. They force-inject the sound in your brain, in good and bad way.

Soundstage means how wide and deep the sound can be. I mean, can the sound feel like its out of your head, how accurately it can place the instruments in "3d space". Grados, while having good imagining and placement of instruments, are very "inside your head". Higher-end Sennheisers are more distant and bigger sounding.

May 31, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say go for the HD 595 or MS-1, 595 being better for gaming and MS-1 better with your music tastes.

x2 althought i would prefer the ms-1's greatly over the 595's for rock by a landslide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back