Headphone Miracle!
Jan 31, 2002 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

fredpb

1000+ Head-Fier
CLOU RED HAVE CLOUT!

The dismal months of headphone unhappiness with my Sennheiser HD600's are finally over.
smily_headphones1.gif

The parade of amps is over. The tryouts of replacements are completed.

The Clou Red saved the day! (and the HD600's).

One of my main complaints (most know about them) was lack of
bass for a $300 headphone.

Problem with the HD600's was simple. The standard cable stinks.
The Clou Red cable created a change that is stunning
eek.gif

Using the HD600's with the Red Clou and MG Head OTL in OTL mode provides TOO MUCH bass with some recordings, and I have to go to transformer mode/jack. Awesome!
tongue.gif

Dramatic increase in detail and bass.

Just to make it short. Clou's are essential if you get the HD580/600. It makes the Sennheisers' worth the price!
Love my HD600's now!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2002 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 47
Wha?? Lack of bass? I take it you were prior used to the "Sony sound"?

The Clou cables did make the bass more intense, but I didn't notice an increase in the amount of bass. The imaging improved a bit, sounds a little bright (barely, I like it dark) but tolerable when plugged into the MG Head.

Jan 31, 2002 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 47
Yep, I have been posting the same observations for the last few months. Clou is a mandatory upgrade for all Senn 600/580 ownwers. The entire sound spectrum is more open and detailed but as you noted the biggest change is in the bass, which now becomes noticeably more powerful making the Senn 600 sound much more dynamic.

Senn 600/Clou red rocks with the best cans around, and unlike others comments here recently the stiffness of the cable doesn't bother me at all.........plus the cable looks cool as hell!

Regarding some comments recently about "bright" sound, I find the top end smooth as silk with no trace of edge/brightness, my experience is that main cause of brightness is CDP/DAC which many people try to compensate for by using tube headphone amp or equalizer to remove/mask treble distortions

Jan 31, 2002 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 47
I hope the Clou Blue is not discontinued or anything... seems like nobody can get them and nobody wants to get them
tongue.gif

How much do the Blue cost?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 31, 2002 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 47
Quote:

Regarding some comments recently about "bright" sound, I find the top end smooth as silk with no trace of edge/brightness, my experience is that
main cause of brightness is CDP/DAC which many people try to compensate for by using tube headphone amp or equalizer to remove/mask treble
distortions

I was pretty dumbfounded by the talk of the reds making the 600's bright, since they are detailed, but they are not bright. So, it must be the source that people are using, amp, and cales as well.

Jan 31, 2002 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Yep, I have been posting the same observations for the last few months. Clou is a mandatory upgrade for all Senn 600/580 ownwers. The entire sound spectrum is more open and detailed but as you noted the biggest change is in the bass, which now becomes noticeably more powerful making the Senn 600 sound much more dynamic.

Senn 600/Clou red rocks with the best cans around, and unlike others comments here recently the stiffness of the cable doesn't bother me at all.........plus the cable looks cool as hell!

Regarding some comments recently about "bright" sound, I find the top end smooth as silk with no trace of edge/brightness, my experience is that main cause of brightness is CDP/DAC which many people try to compensate for by using tube headphone amp or equalizer to remove/mask treble distortions

Just because someone thinks it's bright doesn't necessarily mean that person has a bad source component. That logic would have people who think it's bright saying your CD player is inaccurately dark and distorted, which I doubt is true -- it's just that our experiences and preferences vary from listener to listener, and I believe you are hearing a smooth top end with the Clou in your rig, and that others might agree. Back when I owned the Clou I still had my SCD-C333ES which, though not the ultimate height of source componentry, is a highly competent and reputable source component, particularly when playing SACD. Additionally, my interconnects at the time were Tara RSC Reference Gen 2's, also anything but a bright interconnect, and my amp a 2001-model Max (which certainly isn't bright, as I'm guessing anyone who has owned or listened to one will tell you).

Anyway, it would be silly to think that we would all like Clou or all dislike it.

Sonic preferences can as subjective as visual ones. You think the Clou looks "cool as hell," and I wasn't terribly fond of its appearance (I found it too red).

By the way, here's a pic of the Clou Red back when it was in my rig:

ADSC0096_adjusted.jpg

Jan 31, 2002 at 11:53 PM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
Back when I owned the Clou I still had my SCD-C333ES

Wait... since when do you NOT have your 333ES???

Feb 1, 2002 at 12:14 AM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by fredpb
One of my main complaints (most know about them) was lack of bass for a $300 headphone.

I find that almost disturbing...

Feb 1, 2002 at 1:46 AM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Wha?? Lack of bass? I take it you were prior used to the "Sony sound"?

The Clou cables did make the bass more intense, but I didn't notice an increase in the amount of bass. The imaging improved a bit, sounds a little bright (barely, I like it dark) but tolerable when plugged into the MG Head.

No, I don't know what Sony sound is...but I can imagine.

My other components produce low end bass when it is there.
Speakers to within 2db at 28hz are capable. The Sony's I own are not boomy, but reproduce bass when it is there. The HD600's with standard cable did NOT.

The Clou even improved the sound when a Cheap Onkyo receiver is used! Output volume on the receiver is excellent, although the low end is not as dramatic as the MG Head setup.

Stiffness is a problem. The cable takes some getting used to.

Feb 1, 2002 at 2:04 AM Post #12 of 47
The clous are not necessarily bright, but tonally focused on the high end.

The clou cables have more good than bad, but there is still bad... jude articulates it better than I do in his cardas comparison.

Feb 1, 2002 at 4:15 AM Post #13 of 47
fredpb - I feel the same way Neruda does, because from my experience, the Sennheiser HD600 produces plenty of bass even with the stock cables. Perhaps you're just not picking up on it because the sound is so different from your other headphones? There is considerably less impact with the stock cables than with the Clous, but the low end is still there.

Beilin - you worded that perfectly, tonally focused on the highs. But I don't think there are any bad to the Clou, just unfavorable to certain preferences.

Feb 1, 2002 at 6:27 AM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
fredpb - I feel the same way Neruda does, because from my experience, the Sennheiser HD600 produces plenty of bass even with the stock cables. Perhaps you're just not picking up on it because the sound is so different from your other headphones? There is considerably less impact with the stock cables than with the Clous, but the low end is still there.

Beilin - you worded that perfectly, tonally focused on the highs. But I don't think there are any bad to the Clou, just unfavorable to certain preferences.

With my system, HD600's, ear's, and stock cables, bass is seriously lacking.

I have a number of test CD's. One is "Modern Cool", by Patricia Barber. On anything I try, there is too much bass. Can't even listen to it with Sony 7506's or any speakers I have. But with the HD600's, the CD sounds fine, because it has little bass.

wink.gif
I have state my opinions on this
rolleyes.gif
but I am sure others will have different opinions, and different hearing.
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2002 at 9:39 AM Post #15 of 47
You base your opinion on the HD600 sounding *right* with your test albums when everything else sounds like *boom*???
eek.gif

Do they actually sound *light* with your other albums then? Or not??

Have you considered the possibility that the HD600s are right and everthing else you own are wrong?
eek.gif

Sorry, just had to ask.
wink.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back