Headphone may cause veritgo
Oct 4, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #16 of 24

Quote:
"Magnetic effect"? In what way,

You are quite right to say we don't have significant evidence of an earphone magnetic effect on human senses.  However, there is something going on with the audiophile culture which promotes strange ideas.  What causes that?

Anyway, we are probably safe with headphones... just don't wear them during MRI.

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #18 of 24

Quote:
I get MRI scans all the time but I never feel anything different.  Does this vertigo happen on just a small percentage of the population?

Only happens to audiophiles who have extra keen senses.  The rest of us schmuks can't detect these tiny effects.  :)

But seriously, scientists investigated this vertigo problem and offered an explanation.

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #19 of 24

Quote:
As far as balance goes I do not suffer vertigo from headphone use per se but I cannot walk while using headphones which is why I do not have a portable rig or use something like the iPod Touch.   If I try to walk while using headphones I lose my balance. I do not know where my feet are or where the ground is.  I will stumble about, end up tripping, bumping into objects or falling.   I have had several MRI's but have never had vertigo during a scan.   

Exactly how much peyote is growing out there in the desert?  You doing the Carlos Castaneda thing? 
k701smile.gif

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #21 of 24

Quote:
As far as balance goes I do not suffer vertigo from headphone use per se but I cannot walk while using headphones which is why I do not have a portable rig or use something like the iPod Touch.   If I try to walk while using headphones I lose my balance. I do not know where my feet are or where the ground is.  I will stumble about, end up tripping, bumping into objects or falling.   I have had several MRI's but have never had vertigo during a scan.   

Suppose that SPL from the phones indirectly applies pressure to balance sensors which I believe are near the auditory canal. That might affect some people.

I see people out-and-about wearing over-ear phones. This is a risky practice since one should be aware of their environment. I only use a portable MP3 which sitting at my desk at work.

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #22 of 24
After 3-5 month of blutooth headphone (relatively loud), I was diagnosed with besign positional vertigo. I cannot think of any other causes. Average use everyother day 45 minutes to 1 hour during exercise.

Jan 20, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #23 of 24
Also see http://www.head-fi.org/t/698290/magnetic-fields-influence-the-brain

Even very weak magnetic fields can have an influence on the brain.

The question is how strong the magnetic fields produced by headphones are and what a fairly static magnetic field does.

We've also had some people reporting a weird to nauseating feeling from noise-cancelling headphones, but that's due to the absence of environmental noise.
 being in an anechoic chamber for longer than 15 minutes can cause extreme symptoms, from claustrophobia and nausea to panic attacks and aural hallucinations – you literally start hearing things

Jan 20, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #24 of 24
just an idea, but like some people can even stand straight with their eyes closed, I guess if your brain uses sound cues a lot, using a phone might jam it all with all the changing positional cues of the music.
but it would require you to be super sensitive to sound positioning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back