Headphone List by Music Genre
Nov 18, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 14
You see, sure people recommend, say, Grados for rock and all that, but others may be happily listening to the same music with "unsuited" cans (like HD650s in this example). In the end it's up to your ears to decide. Opinions that get repeated permanently don't become any truer because of that. If there was a fixed recommendation of headphone X for music type A, people would buy X and possibly never even consider Y that is not explicitly listed (but then possibly prefer Y when accidentally stumbling across one). See what I mean?

Nov 18, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 14
I have a friend who swares by the Grado SR 325, the brightest (harshest) headphone in the lineup, when listening to classical music. This is contrary to most everyone else when speaking of classical, but he loves the engaged sound and extreme detail those cans bring.

To each their own.

Nov 18, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 14
I guess it couldn't hurt to share my personal preferences, right? For the full chain, lookit my sig, so I'll just post the can itself below. Remember, there's alot of overlap, and what works with one can can also work with another-

HP2 - everything but pipe organs and string ensembles in spacious cathedrals.

Stax Lambda Pros - everything but, um...well right now it works for everything.

DT770 - Movies. Gaming. Electronica. Rap/HipHop. Jazz with brass.

KSC-35 - anything that is recorded horribly. It's my most forgiving can.

Nov 18, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 14
All I am trying to get is peoples opinions of what headphones they use for what type of music. I understand that it is opinion, but if I can norrow down my choices, I am ahead of the game.

I hear that the Grados are great for rock, metal, etc. But what else is?

Nov 18, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by utarch00
All I am trying to get is peoples opinions of what headphones they use for what type of music. I understand that it is opinion, but if I can norrow down my choices, I am ahead of the game.

I hear that the Grados are great for rock, metal, etc. But what else is?

Jazz, blues, and bluegrass too. Maybe even most pop on the top40 and stuff.

Nov 18, 2005 at 10:08 PM Post #9 of 14
No, Senns don't suck with rock at all.

It is all subjective, but if you have a rig that allows them too, the Senns can/will shine. Mine sound great, although they do deliver a different rendition than my Grados do.

Nov 18, 2005 at 10:08 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Parrothead
So does rock sound crappy on the Senn's?

Nope. Nothing sounds "crappy" on the Senns. It's just that they do a really superlative job with classical. Everything else sounds great too - most music will sound great on such good headphones.

I think most people would be perfectly happy using a Grado SR-225 for symphonies, a Sennheiser HD 600 for rock, and a Sony SA-5000 for hip hop. It's just that all of these headphones are "at their best" in certain other genres of music.

Nov 18, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #11 of 14
My main taste is rock (all genres:80's, metal, classic rock, hair bands), Country and pop. I do like to hear clear vocals, i like hearing the high-hat and cymbals, as well as the rumbling of the bass. Hmmm....im tempted to try both brands!

Nov 18, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Parrothead
Hmmm....im tempted to try both brands!

That's what I usually do. My Grados are used for smaller groups (Jazz quartets, most rock, etc.). The Senns are mainly used for larger groups (orchestral, southern rock, big band, etc.) and female voices which I think the 595s do a wonderful job with. The Senns also serve to fill in for the Grados when they get too uncomfortable.

Ant

Nov 19, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #13 of 14
I don't listen to much classical but I also like the extreme super detailed highs for classical music. I want to hear flutes, bells, horns ringing clear. So 325's are awesome at that.

Nov 19, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #14 of 14
UE-10 Pro's - With everything
HP-2's - Agree with Jahn, although WELL recorded pipe organ shines on these. In general, its good but not great.
RS-1's - Rock, Jazz, Vocals
HF-1's - Rock, Jazz, Vocals
HD-6x0 - Classical and some vocals.
Super.fi Eb - Rap, Hip-hop, Games, Movies, etc.
Super.fi Pro - almost everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back