Headphone Jack Power Output
Jul 11, 2008 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

arande2

100+ Head-Fier
Hello I just measured the output of my A/V Receiver's headphone jack.

I don't have a good way to measure current, so I could only measure voltage. I would guess that the voltage capability drops at higher current levels.

First, I should state that I got a max voltage of .6 volts AC from my portable radio.

So.. I played a sine wave through the output of the headphone jack. At first, I kept it low. The first measurement was around 1.5v, not too high. Then I turned it up a few dB, a little over 3v. I started wondering how far it would go.

I turned it up 20dB, 30v. At this point, I was confused. 30v? So I turned it up to find a max reading of a little over 49 volts. I should note that past 40 volts, the measurement kept going down to 0v suddenly after about a second. I assume it's the internal protection circuitry.

49 volts? Why would it be able to put out 49v, even into the high impedance of a meter? What's a good way to get a more useful measurement?
confused.gif

One last question: Is it normal for headphone outputs on Hi-Fi Equipment to be able to put out such a high voltage?

Thanks much! I am eager to learn.

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 7
Hello I just did a little more testing.

I made it so I could measure the voltage while the headphones were playing. Now I got .5v at the same level at which I got 20v. Aha!

Well anyway.. With heavy bass, I couldn't pass .6v without the drivers starting to act up (NOT good..) and go too far (this is 20hz). And with loud music (with them off my ears), all I could get to was .18v before they started hurting my ears. According to the specs, .18v is about 1mw, which is 115dB with these headphones. Yeah, they're sensitive. At 10mw input (deep bass), the pressure isn't too extreme, but oh well.

Anyway I have concluded that my headphone jack is limited to about .5v before it starts sounding bad at 33-ohms.

Jul 13, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #3 of 7
Is it possible that the headphone output is the speaker amp connected with resistors?

That would make sense since the voltage drop won't happen with the meter's high input impedance. 49 volts.

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by arande2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it possible that the headphone output is the speaker amp connected with resistors?

That would make sense since the voltage drop won't happen with the meter's high input impedance. 49 volts.

Yes, that's often the case with receivers. Very few of them have dedicated headphone amps.

Jul 13, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by worthtosee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you want to have a comfort shoes to fit your foot, please land on our website choose you fell satisfaction's product ,We supply all kinds of styles of sports wear,jeans,handbag,hat,sport shoes such as air Jordan, Nike, nike dunk, nike tn ,nike kobe, Adidas, Puma,redmonkey d so on.you can see my website! I hope you can find you like and contact with me !
Website: Cheap nike jordan shoes in www.hot-nike.com--Newnike shoes International Trade Co.,Ltd
msn:hot-nike@hotmail.com

Where are the shoes with the built in amp? ?? Where are they? I looked all over your site. Please do your homework if you are going to post in Head'fi and next time I want shoes with an amp phones at the ends of my sunglasses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back