Headphone Hipsters
Feb 28, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #17 of 29
1. Many more senior voices in forums such as Head-Fi have come out of the woodwork to fight the vicious cycle of first-time headphone buyers immediately recommending their only headphone to other first-timers. Up until recently, whenever a question was asked to an online audiophile community, newer members who had only owned the M50 jumped into the conversation and claimed the M50 as the best thing ever until other voices were simply drowned out. Since they’d never tried any other similarly-priced can, these people had no frame of reference and were more likely to overhype (think Beats). Now, many dissident members have taken back control of these discussions and lead to a more educated decision based on each person’s preferences.

This is the main reason why I think the M50 seems less...impressive than it used to be. I never really loved the M50 (no idea what color the box was because it was a demo pair), but I can see why some people would. It has a very commercial sound that would entice a lot of people who haven't heard any better. I just couldn't handle the pretty bad mids and the rather sloppy bass.

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:
Did you post the exact same thing word for word in another thread a few days ago?

Yeah so what? Should I reword it to say the exact same thing?

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:
Lol no, just making sure I wasn't going crazy. I guess the same question deserves the same response.

Ah I see, well I guess I could of reworded it to be more fair... as I have not actually heard the M50 so the sound quality may not have changed that drastically or to some listeners maybe not in a negative way at all.

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:
so what has changed that "Now I don't like them" besides that they have exploded in popularity?  My answer: The introduction of the Headphone Hipsters. 

That's possible. However, the kind of snobbery that dismisses something simply because it's become "too popular" has been around long before hipsters. I just think this hipster mentality has gotten quite mainstream, so it bleeds out to more people, in more areas, faster. In that sense, it is noticeable.

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #22 of 29
M50's were pretty overhyped in the past but they are still a great value. Was dumb of ATH to modify them when they peaked in popularity.

I think the DT770 Pro/80 are a better choice if you don't need the extra portability.

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:
I like to think of the DT770 Pro/80 the better choice if you don't need the extra portability of the M50's.

I absolutely disagree.  I returned those after 2 weeks and lost a 15% restocking fee and the shipping to return them.  Used an O2 amp with 0/2.5 dB gain setting.  Way too much treble and the bass seemed to drown out everything else when it was called upon.  TSSSSSS TSSSSSS TSSSSSS BOOOOOOOM TSSSSSS TSSSSSSS TSSSSSS BOOOOOM!  My ears were dead tired after 2 songs.

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:
I absolutely disagree.  I returned those after 2 weeks and lost a 15% restocking fee and the shipping to return them.  Used an O2 amp with 0/2.5 dB gain setting.  Way too much treble and the bass seemed to drown out everything else when it was called upon.  TSSSSSS TSSSSSS TSSSSSS BOOOOOOOM TSSSSSS TSSSSSSS TSSSSSS BOOOOOM!  My ears were dead tired after 2 songs.

Are you comparing them to the M50? I thought the M50 also had sparkly treble and a bass emphasis with recessed mids. 

I think a lot of people can agree that beyers sound signature is really take it or leave it. some seem to love it and others despise it. I also think it takes a lot of mental burn in instead of physical burn in. 

btw, if you disliked the DT770 because of those reasons you would LOVE the DT990's. muahahaha

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #25 of 29
Yep, bought a pair of M50s from Amazon for $108 with free shipping (Amazon Prime membership) that I have been using at work.

I was looking for an upgrade and trusted Malveaux's reviews based on the fact that we both seemed to really love the Denon D5000.  He stated in some comment that he liked the D770 over the M50, and these seemed likely to have a similar sound signature that I enjoy, so when the price was right I jumped on the deal and ordered a pair.  I NEVER return things, and this is the only product I can recall that I have returned after purchasing online.

I did not think the Beyer's were an improvement over the M50s.  If anything, it was a sideways difference, but certainly not an improvement to my ears.  I think the m50 is a solid headphone that sounds very good with many different genres.  I'd highly recommend them for the right price.  The biggest issue is that these headphones are difficult to find under $150, which drastically reduces their value.  At $100 bucks these are awesome, but good luck finding them now at this price.

Mar 1, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #26 of 29
Let's not forget that competition in the price range of the M50s has really increased in recent years. They used to be quite competitive, and still are to a degree. However, they aren't the best choice for anyone looking for neutrality. There are now other options in the same price range that some people are going to find to be better sounding. I think this is the main reason why you don't see them being recommended as much. 

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:
So can we start a headphone hipsters club? I'm in.

Wasn't there already a Grado appreciation thread somewhere? 
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back