Headphone help.
Apr 16, 2008 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

deeplove

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I might just add a bit in each forum because I know you have experts in each category. So I want to single out some of my options the best I can from the best info some of you experts can give out.

I'm into Rock, Alternative Rock, Bass (yes, I'm from Miami so you know I'm into it), I'm really LOVING Classical and some jazz. I do like a nice headphone that envelopes me in a deep, bass filled and warm sound. I do like the boomy bottoms but I really love the tight punch on bass from Rock and Jazz.

3 headphones and 1 trump. That's what I'm looking at right now. I know... Names.

smily_headphones1.gif

Audio-Technica ATH-AD700, Audio-Technica ATH-A700, Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 and the possible Trump... Grado 80 or 225.

I really want to keep it to less than $200. I will be using the iPod. I'm actually thinking about a DIY CMoy that I will try myself. If not, then un-amped. But I'm really leaning towards LOD and Amped.

But I'm looking for suggestions as far as which will be the Best Sounding for an Un-Amped iPod and a LOD-Amped iPod.

Oh, and how should I rip my music? Which is the better format for an Un-amped iPod and either or headphones that go well with the setup?

Great forum and lots of info. You guys are full of info and I can't get enough of reading it all.

icon10.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 20
The Grados will do well with rock and jazz. They are also easily powered by an ipod.

best format for ipod - apple lossless.

Apr 16, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #4 of 20
what about a combo of Alessandros MS-1 / Grados and some used Senns HD580 for classical?

it woudl be great!

Apr 16, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 20
If I had the money... Believe me you. I would jump on it.

Income tax was good, so I'm trying to get the iPod 80gb, headphone and the amp. LOD a must and I'm sure I won't cheap out on it. ALO is in mind.

I'm also trying to squeeze in the laptop in there so I'm picking the best within the price. Great suggestion though if the money was available.

cool.gif

Apr 17, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 20
if you like bass, then the dt770 are quite nice, but if your enviroment allows it, an open headphone will always sound better.

Apr 17, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by deeplove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I had the money... Believe me you. I would jump on it.

Income tax was good, so I'm trying to get the iPod 80gb, headphone and the amp. LOD a must and I'm sure I won't cheap out on it. ALO is in mind.

I'm also trying to squeeze in the laptop in there so I'm picking the best within the price. Great suggestion though if the money was available.

cool.gif

well, good luck then... upgraditis will get you sooner or later!
tongue.gif

Apr 17, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricmat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, good luck then... upgraditis will get you sooner or later!
tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

I'm feeling the pinch.

Thanks guys for the help. My daughter is pretty loud when she gets home, but I do have some "ME" time once in a while. Grado 80 or Audio-Technica ATH-AD700.

I might just throw in the Audio-Technica ATH-A700 or Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 for the XBox 360. Either way, I've been looking for a REALLY GOOD gaming headphone for the 360 and PC. The Grado or AD700 will be for relaxing and a couple of drinks.

Aside from the headphones, given $200 for an amp to drive the Grado 80 or ATH-AD700, which amp would you recommend for the type of music I'm going for? If any DIY'ers out there build them, can you recommend?

Apr 17, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I'm feeling the pinch.

Thanks guys for the help. My daughter is pretty loud when she gets home, but I do have some "ME" time once in a while. Grado 80 or Audio-Technica ATH-AD700.

I might just throw in the Audio-Technica ATH-A700 or Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 for the XBox 360. Either way, I've been looking for a REALLY GOOD gaming headphone for the 360 and PC. The Grado or AD700 will be for relaxing and a couple of drinks.

Aside from the headphones, given $200 for an amp to drive the Grado 80 or ATH-AD700, which amp would you recommend for the type of music I'm going for? If any DIY'ers out there build them, can you recommend?

is that really 200?? no strecth?...

Apr 17, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Pimeta or Mini^3 if you're willing to go the DIY route (you can find builders for both if you don't want to build it).

Apr 17, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricmat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is that really 200?? no strecth?...

I'm trying to keep it that cheap. But, if I really have to then either Corda 2 Move, iBasso D1 or Tomahawk will be the amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pimeta or Mini^3 if you're willing to go the DIY route (you can find builders for both if you don't want to build it).

How expensive and where can I get these amps?

Apr 17, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #12 of 20
Not gonna get into the headphone choices, but as for ripping software, etc. I use EAC (Exact Audio Copy), and I encode mp3 using LAME, with the V0 switch (245kb VBR), or 320 kb if size allows. You can find EAC info, encoder options, how-to's and an overall great guide to ripping HERE.

Apr 18, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #13 of 20
you could either take a look into

- used corda aria

- used X-Can Vx

those are really great! you would love them!

Apr 18, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #14 of 20
eek.gif

WOW! Thanks. I'm really going to read that one. It looks like some really great info.

Thanks.

Apr 18, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

How expensive and where can I get these amps?

I got a Mini^3 kit for $88 from glass jar audio, and I hear you can buy one pre-built for around $120. The Mini's site (The Mini³ Portable Stereo Headphone Amplifier) has more info and lists a couple builders, but you could find someone through the for-sale forums on this site too.

The PIMETA is far more variable as it's more customizable, I think they go for <$100 to ~$200. All the PIMETA info can be found at PIMETA Headphone Amplifier.

Both are 3-channel active ground amplifiers that get good reviews on this site, it seems to be a toss-up between the two depending on who you talk to. If you're building it each has ups and downs. Mini^3 is smaller and is available as a kit (I hate ordering parts from 5 different places!), but you're pretty much stuck with the layout and parts provided- it's good if you want to just put it together without thinking too much about part selection
biggrin.gif
The PIMETA is a bit bigger and you have to order all the parts yourself, but it's a more flexible design and doesn't have any SMD components that I know of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back