Headphone help.
Apr 18, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #17 of 20
Why not try the Goldring DR150s? They sound great unamped with rock and alternative and jazz, although they do not have the bassiest sound ever.

Classical is a bit of a mix, the sound stage is a bit too cramped for me to fully enjoy it on the DR150s

Apr 18, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #19 of 20
All of the cans you listed regularly show up in the FS forums. I myself was a little nervous at first about buying used, but after my fifth transaction, am convinced it is the only way to go. Not only do you save money, but the merchandise usually has been taken care of very well.

Apr 18, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a Mini^3 kit for $88 from glass jar audio, and I hear you can buy one pre-built for around $120. The Mini's site (The Mini³ Portable Stereo Headphone Amplifier) has more info and lists a couple builders, but you could find someone through the for-sale forums on this site too.

The PIMETA is far more variable as it's more customizable, I think they go for <$100 to ~$200. All the PIMETA info can be found at PIMETA Headphone Amplifier.

Both are 3-channel active ground amplifiers that get good reviews on this site, it seems to be a toss-up between the two depending on who you talk to. If you're building it each has ups and downs. Mini^3 is smaller and is available as a kit (I hate ordering parts from 5 different places!), but you're pretty much stuck with the layout and parts provided- it's good if you want to just put it together without thinking too much about part selection
biggrin.gif
The PIMETA is a bit bigger and you have to order all the parts yourself, but it's a more flexible design and doesn't have any SMD components that I know of.

Thanks for the links. I'm going to try out the cans un-amped for about a good week and if anything I'll ask around for a Pre-Made amp or I'll buy from the ones I mentioned. But I'll try out the un-amped 1st. I'm sure that I'll end up with an amp either way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might want to check out Turbo for the LOD. Fellow Headfier that does some excellant work for much more reasonable price ($50 last time I bought one). And that ain't cheaping out.

Since I'll be going un-amped for the 1st week or so, I'm sure that once I decide on going amped then I'll ask at the DIY section for an LOD. $55 or so is a very reasonable price. Most I'll probably climb up is about $85 or so for one of those ALO LODs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by natural_nut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not try the Goldring DR150s? They sound great unamped with rock and alternative and jazz, although they do not have the bassiest sound ever.

Classical is a bit of a mix, the sound stage is a bit too cramped for me to fully enjoy it on the DR150s

Quote:

Originally Posted by qspeedss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sr-80 for rock baby. I heard that the grado sr225 are good, but the performance to price ratio is much worse than the lower grado models.

Grado 80 is on the Top of my list. I'll most likely buy a 2nd pair for general use. XBox 360 and loud rock/bass music. Beyer for a Headache?

wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All of the cans you listed regularly show up in the FS forums. I myself was a little nervous at first about buying used, but after my fifth transaction, am convinced it is the only way to go. Not only do you save money, but the merchandise usually has been taken care of very well.

I'm mainly buying from a dealer or local store for warranty reasons. Especially if it's local. I have those cans readily available so as far as exchanging them it would be a pretty simple process. But if the price is VERY RIGHT, I won't hesitate to jump on a bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back