Dec 20, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #16 of 23
Excellent post, vYu223.

Dec 20, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #17 of 23
Thank you, Skylab and jirams!
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The "artificially produced 'noise'" that comes from headphones or speakers come to your eardrum and all the way to your brain the same way that sounds from a saxophone or drumset would.

Not to nitpick, but I that's also artificial in the sense he was using. He does have a point in that modern society produces much more noise than humans were biologically prepared for. However, the human ear can indeed withstand prolonged noise up to a certain level without damage. Case in point being the millions of ubran dwellers that live and die with their hearing largely intact. Perceived acuity aside (an increase in your brain's ability to comprehend information from the ears, not a physical gain in your ear's sensitivity), listening to anything at a safe level isn't going to physically harm your ears.

And there's a distinction to be made between preserving your hearing by using safer listening practices, and preserving your hearing by not actually using it (what SeagramSeven's post ultimately suggests). Yeah, a person's hearing very very gradually wears out with age. So does everything else. The same way a leather couch covered in plastic lining (anyone else have Italian grandparents???) doesn't get appreciated, not listening to noise in order to better hear noise isn't accomplishing anything.

Quote:

Eat huge quantities of vegetables & fruits, drink plenty of water, and exercise daily. This will help your ears 100x more than lowering your listening volume a couple dB.

Don't you think it's a little wreckless to tell people it's ok to listen to your music loud as long as you eat well? I really want to know how water and jogging is going to help noise-induced hearing damage.

Dec 20, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bazmonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(an increase in your brain's ability to comprehend information from the ears, not a physical gain in your ear's sensitivity)

Yes, this is what I originally meant. Although the hair cells deep in your ear may be moving back and forth and sending nerve signals to your brain, your brain may not be interpreting or comprehending some of those signals. That is why people should challenge and train their brains to hear certain things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bazmonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And there's a distinction to be made between preserving your hearing by using safer listening practices, and preserving your hearing by not actually using it (what SeagramSeven's post ultimately suggests). Yeah, a person's hearing very very gradually wears out with age. So does everything else. The same way a leather couch covered in plastic lining (anyone else have Italian grandparents???) doesn't get appreciated, not listening to noise in order to better hear noise isn't accomplishing anything.

Yes! I whole-heartedly agree. Thank you for expanding upon this point. Well put.

Dec 20, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some people who have been exposed to noises too loud, either suddenly or over time, have scars on their eardrum. The scars would no doubt affect their hearing. Simply putting earplugs in for pure silence 24/7 isn't going to make those scars disappear.

My dad has this. Pilot for over 20 years, I believe. He's lost a lot of hearing by standing around jet engines without hearing protection when he was younger.

Excellent post, vYu.

Dec 20, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mckickflip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My dad has this. Pilot for over 20 years, I believe. He's lost a lot of hearing by standing around jet engines without hearing protection when he was younger.

Excellent post, vYu.

Thanks. Sorry to hear about your dad's situation. How bad is his hearing loss? Can he hear normal conversations?

Dec 20, 2006 at 8:45 AM Post #23 of 23
oh man I wish that listening to headphones and hearing loud stuff actually improved your hearing instead of hurting it, kind of like working out builds muscle and helps you lose fat which benefits you. Kind of sucks we humans have these little things in our ears that die all the time.......is it such a sin to rock out to loud music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back