Headphone friendly audio/DSP plugins for Winamp?
May 23, 2005 at 7:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

seeberg

Headphoneus Supremus
Alright, so I'm totally jazzing with Winamp now, since I had previously been restricted to Creative Playcenter and it's problematic bullcrap, altough I still need it as a WAV recorder and CD ripper at present(perhaps not so when I get that Chaintech AV710). So I'm wondering, are there any heaphone friendly audio/DSP plugins for Winamp, that are similar to or better than Dolby Headphone? I remember 4Front Headphones for Windows Media Player, but I never got used it. It felt artificial compared to DH, which is thus far the best I've heard. I remember running it for MusicMatch, and that program begs me to drop a steaming pile on any PC running it.

So, anything out there for my needs? Any suggestions?

biggrin.gif
Abe

May 27, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 5
It cost a sheckle or two, ($30USD, I think), but iZotope's Ozone is a great little DSP. I've tried a lot of different plug-ins, but this one is my favorite. The controls can be a bit intimidating at first, so just select a preset, and go play.

btw - Don't click on the big Ozone link. Thats the $300 Pro version. Click on the small link in the lower right-hand corner called "media player products".

Also, their "Vinyl" is a great fun, (and free), plug-in. Its silly . . . but fun.
icon10.gif

May 27, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 5
In terms of headstage-improving plugins, my Winamp installation has Speakers Simulator (currently in use) and HeadPlug. These are for stereo sources. A Dolby Headphone plugin would certainly be nice, but AFAIK there is no such animal.
Currently I have Speakers Simulator (delay set to default, crossfeed reduced to a bit above 40%) and the Shibatch Super EQ in use, cascaded via MuchFX. I hadn't been using binaural plugins for a while, but together with my EQ setting it sounds really nice now.

May 28, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Artie
It cost a sheckle or two, ($30USD, I think), but iZotope's Ozone is a great little DSP. I've tried a lot of different plug-ins, but this one is my favorite. The controls can be a bit intimidating at first, so just select a preset, and go play.

Sorry, but I'd only pay $30 for something more beneficial, like a Chaintech AV710, which isn't too far off.

Well, looks like my search is pretty much dead. Hopefully someone out there will make a better headphone DSP. At present there is 4Front Headphones 1.0c, but I'd really like to do a head-on comparison to Dolby headphone, even if I have to go through MusicMatch...

biggrin.gif
Abe

May 28, 2005 at 11:56 AM Post #5 of 5
I understand the sediment completely.
wink.gif

I've had Ozone for years before I bought the Chaintech. I know that $30 sounds like a lot, and I'm no iZotope salesman, but it stands head and shoulders above all the rest. They used to have a free demo. Not sure if they still do.

I also tried the 4-Front plug-in, and even bought its big brother, OSS3D. OSS3D is a little less money than Ozone, and is a fine DSP also, but I always come back to Ozone. The 4-band parametric EQ is worth the price. The speaker positioning for headphone use is a great help, and the "tube saturation warmth" control panel is icing on the cake.

Its just a great DSP.
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back