Headphone Frequence Response Measurements with Earbud-Electret-Microphones
Dec 7, 2008 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

big-ban

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

after opening a new thread on the German hifi-forum, I've decided to translate my findings into English and share my findings with you
smily_headphones1.gif

[size=small]Prologue[/size]
First things first: a while ago I had this idea of doing what had been on my mind for a while, which was making discussions about headphones a little more objective. There are several scattered sources of information all across the web with a few websites providing frequency response graphs for all sorts of headphones. These measurements were often conducted using totally different methods of measurement which logically leads to different looking graphs for the same headphone. Production variations on a wide range of headphones don't add to the credibility and comparability of measurements. I think it's understandable that not many people put much faith in interpretations of frequency response graphs.
So I wondered how accurate those graphs were and how exactly they would compare to my own measurements. I did some research on the web for affordable and simple gear to help me do my own measurements. I stumbled upon a few stupidly expensive professional solutions until I came up with the Soundman OKM II Pop/AV Electret Earbud-Microphones. At ~$150 these are relatively affordable and promise to be usable as microphones for binaural recordings as well. And these things deliver, I can tell you that in advance. I've created some of my own binaural recordings which sound pretty convincing. But let's not get distracted, this is about frequency fesponse measurements
smily_headphones1.gif

First of all, these things are not In-Ear microphones, so they'd disregard any sort of effect the inner ear has on the actual sound that arrives at the eardrum.
use.gif

I'm not entirely sure whether this was taken into account by Soundman when developing these microphones, I just know that the recordings done by these are pretty good and allow the brain to reproduce spacial information quite accurately. These microphones however do not have a totally flat Frequency Response as indicated by the following pictures:
tu_abb2.jpg

tu_abb3.jpg

The measurements shown here were conducted by the Technical University of Berlin and should at least have some representative value. Sadly, I do not know which of those graphs ultimately belongs my particular model, since they're declared as "OKM II/K" and "OKM II/R", none of which seems familiar to me.

[size=small]The actual measurements[/size]
In order to take those measurements, I put the mics into my ears and albeit feeling a little uncomfortable with the spiky construction underneath the cushion, I was able to get a half-way decent fit. I then hooked the mics to the microphone input of my soundcard and fired up two instances of Cool Edit. One of those instances was used as playback, the other was used as the recorder. Playback was done via my soundcard's optical out, my HA25D as DAC feeding the Corda Aria as the testing amp.
Firstly, I generated a few seconds of white noise since white noise seemed the most appropriate signal to do measurements with. It is a noise that incorporates all the frequencies from 20 Hz to 20 Khz across the spectrum in equal amounts.
I then played back that noise in an endless loop using the mics in my ears and the tested headphones on top of the mics. Not one of the most sensual experiences in my life, I can assure you, but sometimes uneasy things just have to be done for the greater good
biggrin.gif

For each headphone I first did several runs to adjust the volume to a uniform sound pressure level. I started off by recording a total of 10 seconds of white noise so that the average RMS (Root Mean Square) input came out at roughly -15 db. If the input level wasn't quite there, I repeated the process until I had a signal at roughly -15 db. This means that in contrast to the method Headroom uses for their FR measurements, the input level here won't be matched at 1 KHz only, but at an average sound pressure level of -15 db over the entire spectrum. I figured that this would make the graphs more comparable than the 1 KHz method. After all, headphones with a dip at 1 KHz would have a relatively higher FR curve in bass and treble (U shape) that mostly exceeds the curve of headphones with a bump in that area.
I then created a 30 seconds recording of white noise with the leveled volume. Afterwards, I normalized the recorded waveform to exactly -15 db RMS digitally. I saved the waveforms created like this and used Rightmark Audio Analyzer (RMAA) to generate the frequency response graphs.
Keep in mind that minor changes in fit and position change the graphs quite significantly. Especially the treble area beyond 4 KHz seems very sensitive to such changes.

The following headphones were tested using this method:
  1. ATH-L3000
  2. ATH-A2000X
  3. ATH-W5000
  4. ATH-W2002
  5. ATH-W11JPN
  6. ATH-W1000
  7. ATH-AD2000
    (all AT up to here pad modded)
  8. Precide Ergo Model 2 (closed)
  9. ATH-EM9r
  10. JVC HA-DX1000
  11. Sennheiser HD540 Reference Gold
  12. AKG K701
  13. AKG K271S with DT770 Pads
  14. Sennheiser HD650
  15. Sennheiser HD600
  16. Alessandro MS-Ultimate
  17. Alessandro MS-Pro
  18. Grado SR-60
  19. Ultrasone HFI-680
  20. Ultrasone PRO 900

New: I've also done a few more measurements on the different variations of the MS-Pro and MS-Ultimate. Check the gallery under "Special: MS-Pro". There's also a special gallery on the Ultrasone PRO-900 burn-in-process and the effects of its placement on the head.

Long story short, the results are here:
Headphone Frequency Response Measurements

I've divided the gallery into three categories.
1.) "Headphones" has measurements of headphones the way I regularly use them (pad mod on all AT, keep that in mind!) and all the other headphones I had with me a while for taking measurements.
2.) "Amps" has measurements comparing different amps when using one particular headphone model
3.) "Mods" shows the differences a mod does to a particular headphone.

Things I see confirmed by those measurements:
- There's certain similarities among AT woodies, though there's still plenty of differences between the woodies and the open models to claim that there's no such thing as a general AT house sound
- BUT: most AT headphones being mids-centric headphones totally goes to show with these graphs (which is what I love them for
smily_headphones1.gif
)
- Solid state headphone amps only have absolutely minor influence on the sound signature
- The Pad Mod I did to my AT headphones definitely has the effect I felt it had
- Dry and boring headphones like the K701 and HD540 measure pretty flat with a slight emphasis on treble
- The HD600 and AD2000 sound and measure pretty similarly (but of course I still prefer the AD2000 :p)
- The AD2000 is pretty neutral and totally different from any other AT in the field
- The HFI-680 has a bathtub-signature
wink.gif

- ... and the PRO900 even more so
wink.gif

- The JVC HA-DX1000 has pretty honky mids due to a massive bump at 350-700 Hz
- The W2002 has more extended bass than the L3000
- The W5000 and W2002 being closely related in the AT ancestory goes to show in that they sound rather similar, while I still prefer the W2002 for its euphonic signature.
- The midbass-centric nature of the HD650 is nicely reflected by the graph. This is not so much the case with the HD600 which is pretty neutral, but the lack of deep bass is surely obvious
- Most AT woodies (the L3000 also technically being a woodie) have a very large dip at 6 KHz. This is audible in a sine sweep, but I'm not sure how much the proximity of the microphones to the driver emphasizes this effect.
- The ATH-EM9r sounds metallic, harsh and bass-shy
smily_headphones1.gif

- The MS-Ultimate effectively tames the harshness of the stock MS-Pro

Things I didn't see confirmed:
- The L3000 sounds more bassy than the graph suggests
- The K271S doesn't sound as AT-like as the graph suggests
- The MS-Ultimate and K701 don't sound as much alike as the two graphs suggest. This can probably explained by the differences in soundstage.

[size=small]Lessons Learned[/size]
It would seem that comparing graphs of different headphones isn't actually as easy as I thought. Psychoacoustics also play a big role and one shouldn't forget about the inaccuracies of the method of measurement.
Although if one knows what to look for, comparing different parts of a single graph and putting it in relation to other parts of the spectrum can tell you quite a lot about a particular headphone. The fact that I can find a lot of my subjective observations confirmed and seeing how similar those graphs are compared to graphs others have done, I'm led to assume that these measurements can't be too far away from truth.
I also feel confirmed in not paying too much attention to the amp story. A simple roll of cotton stuffed under the pads of my AT headphones has several times the effect a different amp has.
Also, don't be fooled by the scale of the graphs. My graphs feature a dynamic range of about 30 db as compared to graphs elsewhere. Its simply easier to see the relevant dips and bumps that way.
I've also learned to appreciate that crooked graphs mustn't sound crooked. And headphones measuring flat don't necessarily sound better. To my preference anyway.

So, I hope you enjoy comparing the graphs and I look forward to discussing with you about the specifics of the method and the actual results.

Benjamin

Dec 7, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 16
Sorry, didn't have any Beyers at hand. I'm not too much a fan of the Beyer sound signature, but I'll make sure to measure any headphones that I can get my hands on from now on.

Dec 31, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 16
Really interesting stuff. Especially the measurements of the pad mods before and after, and the differences in amplification. Just curious - whats the distortion on that mic?

Dec 31, 2008 at 12:04 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really interesting stuff. Especially the measurements of the pad mods before and after, and the differences in amplification. Just curious - whats the distortion on that mic?

I can't find any technical figures on distortion but your best source of information is probably the manufacturer's website:
Soundman
Unfortunately, the measurement report done by the TU of Berlin is only available in German, but google might help to decipher some of it:
Translated version of http://www.soundman.de/deutsch/tu_index_de.htm

Jan 4, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #6 of 16
big-ban,

It's a nice effort here! As discussed in this thread ( http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/new...ml#post5234367 ), do you have any example of measurement repeatability? By this, I don't mean pushing the record button twice in a row, but actual removal of the headphones and measurement mics between the tests...

I am guessing both headphones and mics placement play a key role in the peaks and valleys above 1kHz (not to mention your pinna but this one does not change hopefully, unless your ears are actually pressed by wearing the headphone?).

Especially given the "small" scale you're plotting your results (30dB), I would not be surprised they reproducing the measurement is a bit of a challenge.

arnaud.

Jan 4, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #7 of 16
Hi arnaud,

as already posted it in the other thread, I did several measurements with the PRO 900:

pro900_positioning.png

This one was to determine how much of an effect different positioning has on the sound. It should tell you something about the reproducibility of the results.
You are right, it can be tricky to place the headphones and mics correctly, especially when the drivers are very close to the ears. But the results really don't vary that much if done right. I've always taken great care to get a similar fit on all headphones and I always check that both channels are as even as possible (which they should be given equal fit on both sides) before starting the recording.

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 16
you should definetly return those haha, and shouldn't they reach like 38khz instead of 20? (I see an immediate roll off)

Jan 5, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #9 of 16
I don't think they're defective because mine is not the only one that sounds that way. We should really do an exchange or something to find out what this all about...
beerchug.gif

The reason you're seeing a rolloff at 20 Khz is probably either due to the mic's or the soundcard's FR. The original white noise is definitely not rolled off at 20 Khz, I've just double-checked that.
Thank goodness 20 Khz+ ain't all that important to the human ear
wink.gif

Jan 14, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #10 of 16
20Khz+ is definitely important to the human ear.......lowest distortion in the frequency range is half of its maximum.....a frequency range double what you plan to be hearing is what you are shooting for....

Jan 14, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by fsma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
20Khz+ is definitely important to the human ear.......lowest distortion in the frequency range is half of its maximum.....a frequency range double what you plan to be hearing is what you are shooting for....

Hearing range - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
20 Khz is the human hearing threshold and even if one should be able to hear beyond 20 KHz, it would more a "feeling" than an actually "heard" noise. I do feel some sort of "pressure" on my ears when playing a loud 22 KHz sine wave (I'm 24 btw.). But it's not like it was actually a tone. It's the same with very low frequencies - the lower it goes, the less you actually hear the frequency as a tone, but you rather feel it more as a non-audible vibration.
Regardless of all this, cutting frequencies above 20 Khz doesn't alter the sound at all, I've just checked with a high pass filter on some flac recordings. At least I can't hear any difference, even if I tried - this must mean that those frequencies can't be all that important. I won't rule out the possibility that SOMEBODY might be able to tell a difference, but it would be extremely subtle at best.
I'm sure that when discussing and comparing headphones, we'd want to talk about the "important" frequency response range of 20 Hz to 20 KHz that most of us can actually hear, isn't that so? Graphs are the basis for interpretation of why certain headphones sound the way they do. How would you interpret something of which you don't even know how it sounds or what it does in terms of psychoacoustics? Or do you know?

By the way, where are you taking that "double frequency range" thing from? Are you trying to say that frequencies up to 40 KHz are relevant to the perception of music?

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by big-ban /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi arnaud,

as already posted it in the other thread, I did several measurements with the PRO 900:

pro900_positioning.png

This one was to determine how much of an effect different positioning has on the sound. It should tell you something about the reproducibility of the results.
You are right, it can be tricky to place the headphones and mics correctly, especially when the drivers are very close to the ears. But the results really don't vary that much if done right. I've always taken great care to get a similar fit on all headphones and I always check that both channels are as even as possible (which they should be given equal fit on both sides) before starting the recording.

Hi Big-Ban, late response from me but better late than never
wink.gif
. Thanks for posting this, it's surprisingly stable measurement. Well, I have never made such measurement but I was expecting more than 3dB variations above 2kHz.

As for the roll-off at 20kHz, it is necessary to prevent aliasing, I am assuming the measurements were performed at 44.1kHz sample rate or close to that ?

arnaud.

May 23, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #13 of 16
Just thought I'd revive this old thread. The OP's done some great work here and I think it's worthy of some more discussion. Excellent objective data like this is really great to have and correlating subjective listening experiences to objective FR graphs is pretty interesting IMO.

I think Head-Fi would be better off if there was more work done like this.

May 23, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #14 of 16
So.... this thread isn't dead yet, mh?
wink.gif

For the record, I've updated the list of headphones I've tested so far:
  1. ATH-L3000
  2. ATH-A2000X
  3. ATH-W2002
  4. ATH-W11JPN
  5. ATH-W1000
  6. ATH-AD2000
    (all AT up to here pad modded)
  7. Precide Ergo Model 2 (closed)
  8. ATH-EM9r
  9. JVC HA-DX1000
  10. Sennheiser HD540 Reference Gold
  11. AKG K701
  12. AKG K271S with DT770 Pads
  13. Sennheiser HD650
  14. Sennheiser HD600
  15. Grado SR-60
  16. Ultrasone HFI-680
  17. Ultrasone PRO 900

There's also a new chart with comparisons of the burn-in process on the Ultrasone PRO 900. I've mentioned and linked it somewhere else. Thought I'd mention it here too.

Nov 15, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #15 of 16
For the sake of completeness I'd like to mention that my gallery has grown again. I thought this might be interesting to one or two of you around here
smily_headphones1.gif

This is new:
  1. Alessandro MS-Ultimate (with and without an additional felt layer)
  2. Alessandro MS-Pro
  3. Alessandro MS-Pro with Big Bowls
  4. Audio Technica ATH-W5000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back