Headphone for Schiit Asgard and BiFrost combo
Mar 1, 2012 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

steel108

Head-Fier
Been searching for days and thought starting a thread would be a whole lot easier (probably should have done this from the start).

I am set on getting the Schiit Ashard and BiFrost (good price point and looks). Now I need a headphone that will work well with the combo. I mainly listen to artists like Jay-Z, Kanye West, Lil Wayne, T.I., John Mayer, 30 Seconds to Mars, etc... my overall taste spreads the spectrum. At first, I was trying to select a headphone and going from there, but I think picking the amp and DAC first would probably be easier.

I am looking for a headset at/under $500. I will be listening to my music in my home office with no other people present. 

These are the headphones I am considering (but am open to other suggestions):

1) AKG K702
2) AKG K701
3) Senn HD 650
4) Beyer DT770 PRO
5) Beyer DT 880 Premium

Thanks for any input

Mar 1, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 20

Quote:
Been searching for days and thought starting a thread would be a whole lot easier (probably should have done this from the start).
I am set on getting the Schiit Asgard and BiFrost (good price point and looks). Now I need a headphone that will work well with the combo. I mainly listen to artists like Jay-Z, Kanye West, Lil Wayne, T.I., John Mayer, 30 Seconds to Mars, etc... my overall taste spreads the spectrum. At first, I was trying to select a headphone and going from there, but I think picking the amp and DAC first would probably be easier.
I am looking for a headset at/under $500. I will be listening to my music in my home office with no other people present. 
These are the headphones I am considering (but am open to other suggestions):
1) AKG K702
2) AKG K701
3) Senn HD 650
4) Beyer DT770 PRO
5) Beyer DT 880 Premium

I own DT770 & DT990. I'm guessing those DT880 Premiums are going to sound so good. Which Ohm version were you planning on?
What music source(s) are you going to use?

Mar 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 20
The Denon AH-D2000 seems like it would be good for you and the music genres you listen to, jack of all trades but it is really good with Hip-hop and Rock type genres.. I dont think those AKG will be good for the music, not sure about the Beyers. It also has synergy with the Asgard. 

Mar 1, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 20

Quote:
I own DT770 & DT990. I'm guessing those DT880 Premiums are going to sound so good. Which Ohm version were you planning on?
What music source(s) are you going to use?

I am looking at either 600 or 250 for the DT880. Will not be taking them with me when I travel. 

My music collection is comprised of FLAC which are stored on my PC.

Mar 1, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 20

Quote:
The Denon AH-D2000 seems like it would be good for you and the music genres you listen to, jack of all trades but it is really good with Hip-hop and Rock type genres.. I dont think those AKG will be good for the music, not sure about the Beyers. It also has synergy with the Asgard. 

I didn't include the D2000 because of the earcup. I would prefer velor rather than pleather due to comfort; I will be using the headphones for extended periods. Do the D2000's cup get hot and sweaty??

Mar 1, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 20
They don't get hot or sweaty too much, mabey a little, they are really comfortable. I never used velor before not sure how that is

Mar 1, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #8 of 20

Quote:
The HD600 is a very good match.

I was only considering the HD650.... would the HD600 be better suited with the amp and DAC? I really prefer the look of the 650 over the 600 tbh, but if the 600 flat out performs better while saving $100 then I can overlook the looks.

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #11 of 20
Also consider, for $100 more, the Valhalla. Tube amps typically pair better with 600-ohm Beyers. That said, for the genres, I'm not sure it'll be beneficial for you to get that tube sound. I don't listen to any of that stuff myself.

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #12 of 20
Thanks for all the replies...

There is a new contender, the Denon D7000; saw them for an awesome price and barely above my price cap. Anyone have experience with this headphone on my Schiit combo? 

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #13 of 20
Just an update, ordered the Denon D7000 last night, pretty excited for it to arrive.

Mar 2, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #15 of 20

Quote:
Nice choice. Did you get than $600 open box deal?

Yeah, was looking at the HD 650 for $350, but based on all the reviews, the D7000 matched perfectly for my musical tastes. For under $580, I couldn't turn it down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back