Headphone Fetish (Not that kind!)
Mar 9, 2009 at 10:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

FourierMakesFunk

100+ Head-Fier
I figured I might let you guys know about this project. I'm an art school student currently, and we had an assignment to do an abstract portrait of some aspect of some group, and I choose to do audiophiles who love headphones.

For this I read a lot, and I do mean A LOT, of threads on here (and boy are there some interesting threads... "deserve to die in a pit full of angry bees" has to be my current favorite quotes from a thread).

Anyways, here is the fruit of my labor:

100natural.jpg

mrsenn.jpg

basshead.jpg

solidstate.jpg

goldenearedlistener.jpg

soundstage.jpg

valveheart.jpg

I could get into the details and symbolism and if you want, but in essence it's a little fetish whose "heart" can be switched out for either a vacuum tube or IC, the head turns around and then the hair comes off so you can flip that around to allowing for the two different faces (I like to call them Mr. Senn and Mr. Grado), and then there is a small set of headphones or the golden ears (closed cans with the calm face for isolation, with the excited face for all you bassheads).

All can be put together in combinations depending on what your taste is . I'm sure you guys can pick out what each set represents on a basic level (lord knows my class couldn't tell the difference between what the closed cans and the K1000 styled phones were, but that's OK)

If you want one or anything like it I can make them for not that much money and am open to requests; I almost did little models of the top headphones, in case anyone likes those (I'm a poor starving artist so I kind of have to make this last little plug
bigsmile_face.gif
).

Please tell me what you all think!

PS I'm a proud owner of the Grado 325i
o2smile.gif
. I love them and boy do they rock, though I probably will get some AD900s since they better fit my needs for classical and jazz listening sessions, but that is another matter.

Mar 9, 2009 at 10:48 AM Post #2 of 36
LMAO they are superb mate, I really like them, sorry if you didn't intend for them to relay any humour but seeing the little figure with a chip or a tube inside him reminds me of all the threads aarguing about which is best and those who support tubes have the fire of tubey love deep inside them and vice versa with the solid state fans.

Great pieces.

Mar 9, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #8 of 36
I'm especially fond of the one on the top with the asymmetrical headphones that look like musical instruments, like the little guy is trying to get as close to the real thing as possible. I think that represents the way a lot of people here feel.

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #13 of 36
That is very cool. Seems like it would be kind of depressing to have a binary opamp for a heart, tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back