Headphone Exstension for $200 or Less
Sep 22, 2008 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

AudioDwebe

Headphoneus Supremus
So what are some of the better headphone extensions available in this price range? I'm looking to get about 10 feet. I've currently got the Grado extension, but am considering an upgrade.

Any recommendations?

Sep 22, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 12
I have an APureSound V3 adapter cable, 6ft 1/8in to 1/4in, which cost me $175. Might be something for you to look into
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 12
Is there noticeable signal degredation with the Grado extension? I can't detect any with mine, and it's a pretty easy thing to look for.

Sep 22, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there noticeable signal degredation with the Grado extension? I can't detect any with mine, and it's a pretty easy thing to look for.

Ya know, that's a very good question. I actually laughed when I read this, as it never even dawned on me to try it with (and without) extension to see if I hear any difference. Just assumed there would be.

Who knows, I may not even need a different one. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sep 28, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #6 of 12
The DiMarzio Big Red headphone extension ($125 for the 10' size from HeadRoom) is an incredible value, no signal loss or degradation, really nice sound. It is, however, thick, heavy, has large connectors and is very red (hence "Big Red"), but sonically you can't beat it for the money.

Sep 28, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #7 of 12
I also currently use the Grado extension cable with my RS-1s. I've been thinking about getting a Sonic Horizon cable especially since they were designed using Grados as a reference. I'm just wondering though if it's really going to make a difference. I recall reading in another thread on the same subject that the cable on the RS1 is of a better quality than the Grado extension cable.

Sep 29, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #8 of 12
In the meets and impressions thread, Blutarsky and I posted some stuff we did with cables in several meets. Most recently we tried inserting several XLR cables in between amp and balanced APS V3 HD600 cable. All the cables used either Neutrik or Furutech connectors. We found 2 of the 5 cables degraded the sound, 1 of the 5 didn't change the sound, and 2 of the five made the sound a little brighter.

The two that degraded the sound - one was a silver plated copper and one was Mogami starquad. The one that didn't change the sound was made by Pendles out of silver. The two that brightened the sound, one was the Whirly Wisp (only 50 hours on it at the time, mellowed out with hours) and one that was almost the same and only slightly brighter was the anti-cables.

These interconnects were also recently reviewed by me in this forum as interconnects between my Apogee and amp. Used between pre-amp and amp, the two bright cables became much more neutral than when used in line with the headphone cable. The two degrading cables sounded just as bad when used as interconnects. So, one cable might work well for one application, and not for another, and some are just bad either way. I couldn't test the Pendles cable as an IC because Blutarsky went out of town for a week or two, but it certainly did it's intended job well, which was to be only used as a 5 foot headphone extension for the 8 foot APS balanced cable (to reach the lounger/Lazy Boy chair).

We did test a great headphone extension cable for $30-40 from ebay that walked all over the Grado extension. I'll have to look up the info on who makes them.

Oct 1, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbf73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry, I found a couple of candidates on ebay - do you remember whether it was this one or this one or perhaps something/someone else?

The second one is what I have. Great cable, top notch build quality.

Dec 8, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbf73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry, I found a couple of candidates on ebay - do you remember whether it was this one or this one or perhaps something/someone else?

I did purchase the second one and found it a very nicely produced product. I liked it enough that I asked if he could make a custom version (shorter than his normal length and with a right angle plug) which he readily did with the same high quality. good stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back