Headphone (Edm/gaming) confusion.
Jan 3, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #16 of 34
If you chose to go for the T50RPs over HiFimans keep in mind that they will require ALOT of modding to even come close to something in the $300-600 price range. You have to stuff modeling clay into the drivers and coat the inside of the ear cups in [COLOR=111111]fatmat/dynamat, among other things. If you are deadset on the TR50RPs over the HiFimans and aren't very good at DIY, or you just don't want to do it, there are Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs available for $300. They are the exact same thing as the T50RPS (only different in name), they just come pre-modded for better sound quality and have lamb leather ear pads and are pre-clayed I think as well.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=111111]If you are bass crazy also keep in mind that the Hifiman HE-400s are considered close or on par with the [/COLOR]Audeze LCD-2 ($800 cans) [COLOR=111111]in terms of bass, and the Audeze are considered the king of high quality bass. They are also easier to drive than the T50RPs, at 35 ohms vs 50 ohms, meaning you can drive them out of your ipod or w/e and they'll sound better than the T50RP. [/COLOR]

I am def not a diyer, if I were to buy those headphones is need someone to mod them for me and I might not be willing to go that far. I'd want headphones that excel in gaming like akg q701 or ad700x but with much much more bass then either of those. I need bass in my headphones, I need comfort and I need them to be great for gaming.

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #17 of 34
If your not a DIYer then the T50RPs aren't for you. If you're going to spend $300 I'd say HiFiman HE-400s over the pre-modded Mad Dogs. The mad dogs are closed cans, which means a much smaller soundstage than the HE-400s. The HE-400s have an awesome soundstage. Bigger soundstage=better for gaming.  They also have a smidge better bass, in details and impact. Can't get better bass and soundstage than HE-400s in the $300-400 price range.

Some people say the HE-400s are heavy on their head, and that's pretty much the only gripe comfort wise. Most people seem to be perfectly satisfied by their comfort though. Pick up some velour pads (10$) while you're at it. They improve the sound quality significantly and bring out the mids...and should improve comfort as well.

I'd also recommend picking up an amp/dac all in one like the Schiit Fulla ($80) or a seperate amp/dac combo like the Schiit Magni ($100) and Schiit Modi ($100). It will sound much better than onboard audio or a Xonar DG. If you can't afford the magni and modi, just go for the Fulla. It should get you 90% there sound quality wise for less than half the price. It's not a nesessity, as the HE-400s are relatively easy to drive, but it will definitely improve the sound.

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #18 of 34
  If you chose to go for the T50RPs over HiFimans keep in mind that they will require ALOT of modding to even come close to something in the $300-600 price range. You have to stuff modeling clay into the drivers and coat the inside of the ear cups in fatmat/dynamat, among other things. If you are deadset on the TR50RPs over the HiFimans and aren't very good at DIY, or you just don't want to do it, there are Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs available for $300. They are the exact same thing as the T50RPS (only different in name), they just come pre-modded for better sound quality and have lamb leather ear pads and are pre-clayed I think as well.

If you are bass crazy also keep in mind that the Hifiman HE-400s are considered close or on par with the Audeze LCD-2 ($800 cans) in terms of bass, and the Audeze are considered the king of high quality bass. They are also easier to drive than the T50RPs, at 35 ohms vs 50 ohms, meaning you can drive them out of your ipod or w/e and they'll sound better than the T50RP. 

Heh, the LCDs are just KING period xD . My dream cans.

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #20 of 34
Another option is the new ultrasone performance 840. They just came out so there are not a ton of reviews on them but the ones that are out say that the bass is very good, and like all ultrasones have an impressively large soundstage, they are closed, so dont worry about noise coming in or leaking out. I would definitely recomend the hifiman 400 for most things, but i dont think they will be the best for gaming purposes, and i know they dont isolate very well. The mad dogs are also very good, but remember you will need to spend another 100-200 dollars buying a decent amp for them or the hifimans.

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #21 of 34
Thanks for the replay, as I was saying I already read through nearly all of that guide and I asked this question in the guide and I got no response.

Sorry about that. I usually do fully read through posts prior to replying but admittedly just reacted this time.

You have received some excellent advice on this thread. I think being unable to use open headphones places me at a disadvantage in offering suggestions since that is where most of my experience lies. Otherwise, I would say AKG K712, Q701, or K7xx in a hearbeat. The Alpha Dogs are rated as a 9 in MLE's guide, and they are a well-regarded version of the T50RP. Since these are closed, I think this might be one of your best options, but they may exceed your budget unfortunately.

HE-400s are also excellent. I had them for a time and now have the HE-500.

Fidelio X2 just recieved headphone of the year from Tyll's site and is a great all-rounder. MLE highly praises the X1 in his guide.

But the problem for you is that these are open-back, and you risk not only ruining your own experience but annoying your girlfriend as well.

My personal top picks for gaming would be Alpha Dog, K712/K7xxx/Q701, and Fidelio X2.

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #22 of 34
Sorry about that. I usually do fully read through posts prior to replying but admittedly just reacted this time.

You have received some excellent advice on this thread. I think being unable to use open headphones places me at a disadvantage in offering suggestions since that is where most of my experience lies. Otherwise, I would say AKG K712, Q701, or K7xx in a hearbeat. The Alpha Dogs are rated as a 9 in MLE's guide, and they are a well-regarded version of the T50RP. Since these are closed, I think this might be one of your best options, but they may exceed your budget unfortunately.

HE-400s are also excellent. I had them for a time and now have the HE-500.

Fidelio X2 just recieved headphone of the year from Tyll's site and is a great all-rounder. MLE highly praises the X1 in his guide.

But the problem for you is that these are open-back, and you risk not only ruining your own experience but annoying your girlfriend as well.

My personal top picks for gaming would be Alpha Dog, K712/K7xxx/Q701, and Fidelio X2.

No problem, I appreciate your feedback. I'm assuming that I could get an open back or at least a semi open back but would need to crank up the volume to overcome the noise in the room. What I'm concerned about is by cranking up the volume it will cause me to fatigue quicker and probably be able to have the headphones on less. Also the open back design will create more noise in the room and that might make her have to make the TV louder/talk louder to compensate, which then becomes a revolving door lol.

Pretty confident I would need to stay with closed back or at least semi closed. I've been researching the t50rp since they were recommended and it looks like mayflower has the headphones already modded. They have like 3 different versions but I am not to sure what the difference is. If I can buy them premoded with enhancements to the sound and bass I will do that. Just would need some insight on which one of the 3 versions to buy for best bass, also are any of them modded where I can use a vmoda boom mic with them?

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #23 of 34
Just watched a video comparing all 3 of the t50rp's from mayflower. None of the comparisons spoke about gaming. Out of the 3 choices version 3 seemed like the one I'd like the most, though I'm not sure how great they'd be for gaming. Any insight?

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #24 of 34
Just watched a video comparing all 3 of the t50rp's from mayflower. None of the comparisons spoke about gaming. Out of the 3 choices version 3 seemed like the one I'd like the most, though I'm not sure how great they'd be for gaming. Any insight?

I'm assuming it was teksyndicat's video?

My t50rps are actually the version 1s from them. The reason why I didn't meantion it, is that it's just the basic 3 mods everyone does to their pair. Acoustic foam, cotton and newplast. As for version 2 and 3, I have no idea what they have for mods

Version 1s do have a touch of bass. Just a bit more then flat. And the tightest bass you've heard.

2s are as flat as possible

And the 3s are the "ermehgerd bass"

For gaming its still a t50rp. About as detailed as you can get in a headphone. Any of the choices would be fine. Personally I chose the version 1s. The bass is the perfect balance. Smallest touch extra for fun. Haven't heard the 3s. I'm assuming the bass would be overpowering, but if you like that then go for it.

EDIT: they are more closed then semi-open. The only open parts are the 3 small bass vents on each cup.

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #25 of 34
I'm assuming it was teksyndicat's video?

My t50rps are actually the version 1s from them. The reason why I didn't meantion it, is that it's just the basic 3 mods everyone does to their pair. Acoustic foam, cotton and newplast. As for version 2 and 3, I have no idea what they have for mods

Version 1s do have a touch of bass. Just a bit more then flat. And the tightest bass you've heard.

2s are as flat as possible

And the 3s are the "ermehgerd bass"

For gaming its still a t50rp. About as detailed as you can get in a headphone. Any of the choices would be fine. Personally I chose the version 1s. The bass is the perfect balance. Smallest touch extra for fun. Haven't heard the 3s. I'm assuming the bass would be overpowering, but if you like that then go for it.

EDIT: they are more closed then semi-open. The only open parts are the 3 small bass vents on each cup.

Comfort is really important to me as my m100's are hot, hurt my ears and head. I need a phone that is comfortable as well.
I am actually tossed up between the t50rp v1, DT 990, k712, fidelio x2 and ma900.. With a dac/amp.

Jan 4, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #26 of 34
Comfort is really important to me as my m100's are hot, hurt my ears and head. I need a phone that is comfortable as well.
I am actually tossed up between the t50rp v1, DT 990, k712, fidelio x2 and ma900.. With a dac/amp.

Can't say much about those but AKG cans can be mid or high strong, comfy light and tough. The 712s have velour pads, better for comfort and coolness

The V1s I found when I first got them were comfy, despite no headland pad its super wide and super soft rubber. Build like tanks. I found the clamp force was a lot. But that will go down with some use. They took a long time to wear into my head shape. But once they did they are surprisingly comfy even considering how heavy orthro cans are. The 840 ear pads that come on them are good, not too hot

Jan 4, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #27 of 34
Can't say much about those but AKG cans can be mid or high strong, comfy light and tough. The 712s have velour pads, better for comfort and coolness

The V1s I found when I first got them were comfy, despite no headland pad its super wide and super soft rubber. Build like tanks. I found the clamp force was a lot. But that will go down with some use. They took a long time to wear into my head shape. But once they did they are surprisingly comfy even considering how heavy orthro cans are. The 840 ear pads that come on them are good, not too hot

I appreciate your help, thank you.

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #28 of 34
DT990 Pro 250 ohm or DT990 Premium 600 ohm (only if you can afford to spend some more on amp and dac).
Phillips Fidelio X2

All 3 are comfortable, look good, has good soundstage for for gaming and has bass. They are open though so if you want closed I suggest you look at DT770 Pro 80 ohm (more bass and v-shaped) or 250 ohm (more neutral).

I myself am going to buy a new setup for the same purpose as you pretty much.
I'm going with DT990 Premium 600 ohm, A20 and Henry Audio USB DAC 128 Mk II.

Good luck!

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #29 of 34
DT990 Pro 250 ohm or DT990 Premium 600 ohm (only if you can afford to spend some more on amp and dac).
Phillips Fidelio X2

All 3 are comfortable, look good, has good soundstage for for gaming and has bass. They are open though so if you want closed I suggest you look at DT770 Pro 80 ohm (more bass and v-shaped) or 250 ohm (more neutral).

I myself am going to buy a new setup for the same purpose as you pretty much.
I'm going with DT990 Premium 600 ohm, A20 and Henry Audio USB DAC 128 Mk II.

Good luck!

All of those options are what I originally thought of, then while gaming last night with my m-100's I realized that there is so much low end that it actually muffles out footsteps and other noises while playing battlefield.4. Now I'm thinking that my best option might be to buy a headphone for competitive gaming and have my m100's when I want loud boomy explosions or just having some fun.

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #30 of 34
All of those options are what I originally thought of, then while gaming last night with my m-100's I realized that there is so much low end that it actually muffles out footsteps and other noises while playing battlefield.4. Now I'm thinking that my best option might be to buy a headphone for competitive gaming and have my m100's when I want loud boomy explosions or just having some fun.

Don't compare v-moda to those I mentioned. The only thing you hear on those are bass :) It's totally different. But in the end it's up to you.

You could also have a look at the AKG series if you're not feeling for the others. But I dont know them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back