Headphone dilemmia, what to do?
Dec 9, 2001 at 3:04 PM Post #16 of 25
I wonder, who could ever think the 580s-600s don't have enough bass? They sound like subwoofers strapped to my ears! (in a good way, of course).

I haven't heard closed (except for my Etys) headphones in a long time, and I can imagine the resonances of an enclosure might add some bass vibrations, which could be mistaken for response. But I think the only bass I've ever heard that could qualify as "better" than the 580s are the ER-4S.

Dec 9, 2001 at 3:26 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
The answer to your lack of bass concern is simple, hate to sound like a broken record but any HD600 owner must purchase Clou red or blue jaspis cable from headroom........this is mandatory upgrade! You will hear deeper/more powerful bass response, it is very noticeable improvement.

Okay, let's try a quiz. Which of the following scenarios is more likely:

A.) Fredpb prefers more bass than the HD600s provide, differing with the preferences of most HD580/600 owners.

B.) Fredpb prefers the same bass response that we all do, and the only reason he's not getting it is because he hasn't tried a cable which has, as it's primary advertising and technical point, better shielding than the stock cable. Somehow, this cable will deliver significantly stronger bass.

As I mentioned previously, I get powerful, deep bass from my HD580s. I'm using the stock cable. If somehow the Clou cable is able to deliver significantly more bass to the HD580s (though I cannot think of a way that it could), then I probably would NOT like the combo.

Quote:

(I'm surprised this was not mentioned in every response to your question)

It was (probably) not suggested previously because it is not likely to provide what Fredpb is seeking. Of course, with Headroom's liberal return policy, it couldn't hurt to try, and the extra shielding may provide other benefits.

I know, I'm a curmudgeon.

Dec 9, 2001 at 3:29 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
any HD600 owner must purchase Clou red or blue jaspis cable from headroom........this is mandatory upgrade!

Sorry, gotta comment on this one too. As before, if a $400 headphone can't deliver deep, powerful, satisfying bass without a 'mandatory' $120 cable upgrade, then it's not much of a headphone. Luckily I get deep, powerful, satisfying bass with the stock cable.

Dec 9, 2001 at 3:33 PM Post #19 of 25
I don't have HD580/600, yet (HD580 is on shipping). I do feel DT931 has the most similar bass like V6 from a open phone. V6 is a closed phone and have very strong bass feeling from resonance, DT931 on the other hand has a very clean bass, its bass is way quicker and tigher than V6. But I can't say which has deeper bass, they feel different. DT 931 overall sound is much brighter than V6. I remember I read a review from Jan on Headwize in summer said he like the bass from DT931 more than HD600 w/ red cable. Hope this help.

Dec 9, 2001 at 3:50 PM Post #20 of 25
I don't know what the fuss about 580/600's bass. I drive my HD580s with my lapton and they sound very good accroding to my ears. I listen to music, not bass. I read the Stereophile's review of Dynaudio Evidence last night, which has a list price of $85,000 and they will only go down to 27Hz. I was very surprised at first but later I understand that dynaudio wants to produce MUSIC, not BASS. So as long as my HD580s sound good, I'll have no complain about the BASS.

Dec 9, 2001 at 6:02 PM Post #21 of 25
Thanks for all the replies! Keep them coming!
I have decided to keep the Supreme amp. I thought that would cure my "problem" but it did not. Many seem to think they have adequate bass. I used to think so. Then I got my Vandersteen speakers, and discovered the lowest octave of music. The Sony MDR7506's seem to match these speakers.

Now I have "broken in" the HD600's with 100 hours of music. This helped a bit.

I have also been using the Supreme and some good CD's to compare the MDR7506's, HD600's and HD570's. To my surprise, the HD570's fall between the HD600's and MDR7506's. My original thoughts were confirmed. MDR7506, good low tight bass, but mids and highs a bit restrained. HD600's... great mids and highs, no low end. Now HD570s, decent bass, good mids and highs. Of the three, I prefer the HD570's now, for overall performance.

I have also been studying the performance curves on Headroom website. The HD600's have a massive impedence jump about 100 hz. They also drop off in the low frequencies on the regular freq response curve. Going by my ears, and these graphs, I think my "problem" is the HD600's design, not a defective pair.

Love this tech talk. I used to be in electronics before going into computers. I have been into audio for 35 years.

I can hear a difference between cables in my system, but don't think that is the answer to my problem.

Many have mentioned the Beyer headphones. the DT250 series and the DT770 Pro. The DT770 has many recommendations, better freq and impedence curves than the HD600's. Given the nice Headroom return policy I think I may give them an audition.

I would also turn in the Supreme amp for an MG Head, but after trying the Supreme out as a portable over the Thanksgiving holidays, I love it.

So what do you think? Give the DT770's a try?

Dec 9, 2001 at 8:05 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

So what do you think? Give the DT770's a try?

Why not? I think they are superb.
biggrin.gif
And what's the risk if you can return them?

Dec 9, 2001 at 8:51 PM Post #25 of 25
Thanks again for all replies.

I really don't want "boomy bass". I just want to hear what is there. The HD600's with my Supreme amp, Total Airhead, or Creek OBH11 did not provide this.

When I got the HD600's I was happy with them. I replaced AKG240s with them. These also were low on bass. At least the ones I had were.

Then I got MDR7506's for portable use. WOW. Then upgraded my home system to a modest high end system. Then I heard FULL range, including the low end my old Fulton speakers really did not deliver as well. The Vandersteens will deliver anything the amp puts out now. Then with vinyl, well, some LP's are amazing. I also used Reference Recordings CD's and Mercury Living Presence CD's and LP's. So I understand why most people probably are happy with HD600 bass. It's what you are used to, and your own ears (eyes have different characteristics, why not ears?).

I have ordered the Beyer DT770 Pros! Now we shall "see"!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back