Headphone Dilemma 650s/AKG701s/D2000
Jan 6, 2009 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Kr1z

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for something with very clear clarity and basically an all around headphone for music, and movies. I haven't been here around long enough to learn how to explain the sound terms etc but the HD595s were very crisp and had very good quality. While the Beyerdynamics were less clear but had more bass. I'm not sure if I am using the right terminology, but the 595s sounded "bright". I really liked how they sounded for everything. I never used amplification on any headphones I owned. My sound card is an Auzentech Prelude.

Headphones I owned -
Beyerdynamic DT770 Consumer Edition (These sounded terrible, the music sounded muffled and muddy, and with overwhelming bass blasting my head, I love bass but I heard more bass than the actually music...)
Beyerdynamic DT880
Sennheiser HD595

The headphones that caught my attention were the HD650s, AKG 701s, and the Denon D2000s.

I actually had ordered the D2000s from buy.com but they canceled my order
eek.gif
and I think someone is trying to tell me something :O Maybe I should rethink my choice
confused_face(1).gif

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 19
Do you have a amp?

without a amp, out of those three, i would say the D2000....

However, if you have a good amp, the 650s sound FANTASTIC...i own them and prob would NEVER sell them.

If you have a nice warm sounding tube amp, give the 701s a try...they are really nice, full of detail...but they are just much much tighter on bass then most.

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 19
I haven't tried the 701s but between the HD650s and d2000s I like the 650s a bit more. The D2000 is definitely the better value (especially if Buy.com had them in stock) but they can still be found new for $240 shipped on ebay which is still pretty good. Although I think that the Beyers and the HD595s are wonderful cans... I think theres still some potential in them if amped. I would personally get an amp and try out those cans for a few more weeks/months before considering new cans.

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kingkevo25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't tried the 701s but between the HD650s and d2000s I like the 650s a bit more. The D2000 is definitely the better value (especially if Buy.com had them in stock) but they can still be found new for $240 shipped on ebay which is still pretty good. Although I think that the Beyers and the HD595s are wonderful cans... I think theres still some potential in them if amped. I would personally get an amp and try out those cans for a few more weeks/months before considering new cans.

Forgot to say I don't have them anymore, I only had one at a time, and sold the last pair of headphones, the 880s, in order to one of these. I am using some Swans M10 for sound, but I much rather had headphones for night time.

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 19
no amp? i think you will be happier with the D2000 with out a amp...if you planning on a amp (not a small CMOY either) then the 701s and 650s really shine.

The 701s and 650s really dont sound that great unless they amped. Ok, thats a lie, they dont sound good at all to me...i dunno, you can be the judge. If it sounds good to you then by all means...

Jan 6, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no amp? i think you will be happier with the D2000 with out a amp...if you planning on a amp (not a small CMOY either) then the 701s and 650s really shine.

The 701s and 650s really dont sound that great unless they amped. Ok, thats a lie, they dont sound good at all to me...i dunno, you can be the judge. If it sounds good to you then by all means...

How exactly would the 701s and 650s sound unamped?

Jan 6, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #9 of 19
the 701 will sound completely bassless ...i dont have them anymore to compared, but i think i tried it on a small CMOY and it really didnt sound as open as they did when i used a home amp.

The 650s will sound muddy in the bass department...not to mention the level of volume will be really really low.

Jan 6, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kr1z /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How exactly would the 701s and 650s sound unamped?

I think if soundstage and clarity are important to you, but you also want the headphones to do the work without an amp, you might be better off with an AD900 (or even AD700) than with a K701. I've done a bit of reading of all three models here, and the K701 really seems to need an amp, per most reviews, while the ATH-AD models are all well capable of being driven directly.

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #12 of 19
you might be able to pick up a Darkvoice 336i....i had that amp with both the 701 and the 650s.

You might want to keep a eye out on the for sale forums....might be able to get a deal.

Dont settle for a small cmoy for the 650s, i would get at least a Mini^3 with a PSU.

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For clear and more balance sound you can try the K701,...
And you can amp the K701 with sound card.

I disagree entirely. I have listened to mine unamped and they sounded terrible. The bass was entirely nonexistent. What bass there was was uncontrolled. Mids and highs sounded too bright and very very strange. Terrible idea to use the 701s unamped. Even with my LD mk III the 701 was no where near its potential. I am starting to get there with my CK2III which is a full level above the mk III, but I still feel like they could be better.

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #14 of 19
For an amp for the 701s, I would read up on the little dot I+. It is a hybrid so it puts out something approaching the current that the 701s need to sound good.

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #15 of 19
The 650's sound fine out of my ipod/zune more so than my K701's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back