Headphone Comparisons From Best Buy/Future Shop
Aug 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

nicdoy5

New Head-Fier
I'm a bass head looking for some headphones to upgrade from my M50's and my former Monster N-Pulse headphones. Then one day, I finally had the chance to try some different headphones from a local Future Shop/Best Buy!!!!
biggrin.gif
 I tried the following headphones: Denon AH-D600, Bowers & Wilkins P5, Beats by Dre Wireless, Sennheiser HD 558, and Sennheiser Momentum. Here's all my quick reviews about each one of them:

Denon AH-D600: These headphones felt really comfortable on my head with their light-weight feel and really soft ear-pads. The sound was what I was exactly looking for. They had the perfect bass with the nice mids and highs. Too bad they were too expensive.
frown.gif

Bowers & Wilkins P5: The worst headphones I've ever tried. The mids were too much, the highs were a bit recessed, and the bass was almost non-existent. The P5's were also not the most comfortable. Very overpriced but at least it had good durability.

Beats by Dre Wireless: The comfort was ok, contained overpowering fart-cannon bass. Same sound quality as the ATH-M50's with the bass cranked up on an Android tablet. I felt a little embarrassed wearing the Beats.

Sennheiser HD 558: Sennheisers have beautiful sound quality. The HD 558 had punching bass, smooth mids, super-detailed highs, and good soundstage. The earpads cover my ears completely and also very lightweight.

Sennheiser Momentum: They also have the amazing quality. They had a bit more bass and the highs were not as detailed as the HD 558 and probably because they're closed headphones. HD 558's are opened headphones. The comfort was there too. Unfortunately, they were too expensive for my budget.

I was offered to get the Beats Studio (older) but I couldn't try them and didn't want to. I ended up buying the HD 558 because I like having an audiophile headphone in my collection. I don't want to have to wear a paper bag when I walk on the streets or a headphone event with Beats by Dre on me. I hope you enjoy this small headphone comparison. The ratings are coming soon.
basshead.gif

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #3 of 13
+1

HD 558 was amazing, momentum was pretty good too.

i hate p5, muddy recessed and crap. the D600 is just as bad, harsh and has tons of peaks and resonance problems, its a really bad headphone. i though it sounded ok at first, but the more i listened, the more i saw all the problems it has.

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
I'm a bass head looking for some headphones to upgrade from my M50's and my former Monster N-Pulse headphones. Then one day, I finally had the chance to try some different headphones from a local Future Shop/Best Buy!!!!
biggrin.gif
 I tried the following headphones: Denon AH-D600, Bowers & Wilkins P5, Beats by Dre Wireless, Sennheiser HD 558, and Sennheiser Momentum. Here's all my quick reviews about each one of them:

Denon AH-D600: These headphones felt really comfortable on my head with their light-weight feel and really soft ear-pads. The sound was what I was exactly looking for. They had the perfect bass with the nice mids and highs. Too bad they were too expensive.
frown.gif

Bowers & Wilkins P5: The worst headphones I've ever tried. The mids were too much, the highs were a bit recessed, and the bass was almost non-existent. The P5's were also not the most comfortable. Very overpriced but at least it had good durability.

Beats by Dre Wireless: The comfort was ok, contained overpowering fart-cannon bass. Same sound quality as the ATH-M50's with the bass cranked up on an Android tablet. I felt a little embarrassed wearing the Beats.

Sennheiser HD 558: Sennheisers have beautiful sound quality. The HD 558 had punching bass, smooth mids, super-detailed highs, and good soundstage. The earpads cover my ears completely and also very lightweight.

Sennheiser Momentum: They also have the amazing quality. They had a bit more bass and the highs were not as detailed as the HD 558 and probably because they're closed headphones. HD 558's are opened headphones. The comfort was there too. Unfortunately, they were too expensive for my budget.

I was offered to get the Beats Studio (older) but I couldn't try them and didn't want to. I ended up buying the HD 558 because I like having an audiophile headphone in my collection. I don't want to have to wear a paper bag when I walk on the streets or a headphone event with Beats by Dre on me. I hope you enjoy this small headphone comparison. The ratings are coming soon.
basshead.gif

The best headphones available at Bestbuy (here in Canada) or Futureshop are the Sennheiser Momentums without a doubt.

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #6 of 13
Does BB in Canada offer any kind of price matching? I've been going to my local BB a lot ever since BB started doing price matches.

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 13
Why are any of you talking about best buy? It is a total joke.

NONE of their headphones are setup correctly. You could be deaf and pick out the best headphones simply by looking for sennheiser or audio technica. 

Denon's new line is a sad joke no matter how you look at it.

The B&W P5s are actually ok. Are they good for sitting down at your desk? No. Are they good for portable use in a situation where you want to look profession (perhaps a plane ride)? Yeah...they are OK. At best buy they sound like total junk, because they are attached to what ever junk system best buy has. 

Beats by dre..............too easy...just too to comment.

The 558s are ok, but at 180 plus tax, I would have just saved up a bit more and gotten a used pair of the HD600s which are far better.

The Senn momentum is not as great  as they should be for the price point. if they were 100 bucks cheaper, they sound great. Buuuuuuutttt they are really expensive for what they are.

When ever a best buy employee offers you something, you just got to to say.........

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #8 of 13
Thank you for all the replies. I really appreciate them.
biggrin.gif
Anyways, there's probably a price match in the Canada BB too. Most of the headphones I've tried were plugged into my phone, the only ones that were plugged into they're own junk system were the Sennheisers but they still sounded good, they just had it too loud. In Canada, headphones are more pricier and have limited choices compared in the states. The HD 600's probably would've have better sound but I think the HD 558's is a good start. For the best bass head headphone, the guy at Beat Buy/Future Shop recommended me the Beats Studio.  My mind was frozen. Good thing I've said,  "No thank you."
wink_face.gif

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #11 of 13
I have the AH-D600, as well as the HD650 and Mad Dogs. I personally think the D600 get a bad rap on Head-Fi. I like them better than the D2000 I had and sold. Solid but not boomy bass, no sibilance like the 2000s, easy to drive and come with a long cable as well as a shorter cable with controls/mic. Mad Dogs are my favorite closed headphone, but if I could only have one, I'd pick the D600 for overall quality and versatility.

That's my $.02.

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
Why are any of you talking about best buy? It is a total joke.

NONE of their headphones are setup correctly. You could be deaf and pick out the best headphones simply by looking for sennheiser or audio technica. 

Denon's new line is a sad joke no matter how you look at it.

The B&W P5s are actually ok. Are they good for sitting down at your desk? No. Are they good for portable use in a situation where you want to look profession (perhaps a plane ride)? Yeah...they are OK. At best buy they sound like total junk, because they are attached to what ever junk system best buy has. 

Beats by dre..............too easy...just too to comment.

The 558s are ok, but at 180 plus tax, I would have just saved up a bit more and gotten a used pair of the HD600s which are far better.

The Senn momentum is not as great  as they should be for the price point. if they were 100 bucks cheaper, they sound great. Buuuuuuutttt they are really expensive for what they are.

When ever a best buy employee offers you something, you just got to to say.........

I'm with you there, although I like Best Buy... when I have my portable Set up LAWL. I'll attach their cans to my rigs and move forward.

Non the less, I'd like to find a Magnolia Center Best Buy just to try the HD 598 and the Momentums! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back