headphone comparison model
Oct 10, 2002 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Earregular

New Head-Fier
I think I may have come up with a solution to the long debated question of comparing headphones to speakers of similiar performance. People often state that in order to get the same performance from speakers as a decent pair of headphones you would need to spend three or four times as much. I believe that the relationship is not that simple. A pair of Grado SR125s are obviously going to sound a lot better than a $450 speaker. Stereophile rated the SR125s class B in the last recommended components and a pair of class B speakers are going to be probraly around two grand, so such a linear comparison will not work. I believe the relationship would look more like this

P(h)= he^3 e being eulers # not the letter
and h being the price of the
headphones
If you throw in a number such as 69 ( the price of a pair of SR60s ) you come up with what I remember was around 1300. This is about the price of a pair of new class C loudspeakers. I don't know, it makes sense to me, what do you think ?

Oct 11, 2002 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 15
A Class B headphone means it's Class B *in the category of headphones* relative to other cans they've tested. These ratings are not comparable to speaker ratings.

Quote:

I believe that the relationship is not that simple. A pair of Grado SR125s are obviously going to sound a lot better than a $450 speaker.

I beg to differ. A low-end set of PSBs will sound better to some, just an one example.

I don't think there's any way to come up with a formula that says, "for every X dollar you spend on phones, you get Y dollars worth of speaker value". It's going to depend on every set of ears, and how much you can give up the advantages of speakers for the sonic benefits of headphones.

Apples and oranges.

Mark

Oct 11, 2002 at 12:02 AM Post #3 of 15
It's way too complex to figure out a scale. Some headphones (Sony's "consumer" MDR-VCRAPDJ models come to mind) are so mediocre in performance that the "two to three times as much" calculation is more accurate. But others, such as the Grados that you pointed out, your calculation is closer to the truth.

Oct 11, 2002 at 12:28 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Earregular
I believe the relationship would look more like this

P(h)= he^3 e being eulers # not the letter
and h being the price of the
headphones
If you throw in a number such as 69 ( the price of a pair of SR60s ) you come up with what I remember was around 1300. This is about the price of a pair of new class C loudspeakers. I don't know, it makes sense to me, what do you think ?

Uhh.. first you say that a linear relationship will not work... but then you suggest another linear relationship as a correction??
confused.gif

P(h)= he^3

this is still linear... it's just that instead of speakers being 2-3 times more expensive they are now e^3 (this is still a constant) times more expensive..

Unless you meant something different

And what's the point of coming up with a "mathematical" formula for this anyway?

Oct 11, 2002 at 4:51 AM Post #6 of 15
How many dollars worth of broccoli you get by spending ten bucks on bananas?

Quote:

I think I may have come up with a solution to the long debated question of comparing headphones to speakers of similiar performance. People often state that in order to get the same performance from speakers as a decent pair of headphones you would need to spend three or four times as much. I believe that the relationship is not that simple.

Oct 11, 2002 at 5:29 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Aboogwa
Uhh.. first you say that a linear relationship will not work... but then you suggest another linear relationship as a correction??
confused.gif

P(h)= he^3

this is still linear... it's just that instead of speakers being 2-3 times more expensive they are now e^3 (this is still a constant) times more expensive..

Somebody just got schooled in Maths...
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2002 at 7:17 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Is that a linear function or an exponential one ?

It's linear, the variable is never raised to a power anywhere.

It would be exponential if it were something like
P(h) = 3e^h for example

Oct 11, 2002 at 7:56 AM Post #12 of 15
Aboogwa,
I approve of your finding that e^3 is not a variable. It is a constant of 20.086.

Thus,

P(h)= he^3

P(h)=20.086*h, since we don't have a square or cubic...anywhere, it is indeed a linear relationship. Expect a positive slope on this fuction.

However, if
P(h) = 3e^h
dp/dh=3(1)e^h<---- that's an exponential relationship.

Nice work dude, sorry for post this...I'm just having fun.

Purk

Oct 11, 2002 at 8:55 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
Aboogwa,
I approve of your finding that e^3 is not a variable. It is a constant of 20.086.

Thus,

P(h)= he^3

P(h)=20.086*h, since we don't have a square or cubic...anywhere, it is indeed a linear relationship. Expect a positive slope on this fuction.

However, if
P(h) = 3e^h
dp/dh=3(1)e^h<---- that's an exponential relationship.

Nice work dude, sorry for post this...I'm just having fun.

Purk

Just let me get my Texas Instuments TI-83+ out of the drawer...
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2002 at 5:08 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
You guys are having so much trouble finding a relationship! I would think it should be a sinh.
biggrin.gif

Groan!

Oct 12, 2002 at 6:57 AM Post #15 of 15
How is an exponential like that ever going to work? Good cheap headphones beat speakers many times its price but towards the top (e.g. Orpheus) you can buy a good speaker system for the same price. If anything I think it should be something like

y = C log x or
y = C sqrt x
where x is the cost of the headphones, y is the cost of the comparable speaker, and C is some large constant > 1.

And this only applies for x > ~50USD
wink.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back