Headphone collection list
Jan 5, 2024 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

protoss

Headphoneus Supremus
Each headphone has a unique feature that makes it an S-tier status; with this list, there are about 100 legendary headphones.

In no particular order or rank or favoritism:

AKGK1000
AKG501
AKG K240
Audeze LCD 2 og version (pre-fazor)
Audeze LCD 3 2012-3 version (Dark Prince)
Abyss 1066
ATH-10VGT
ATH-2002
ATH-3000ANV
ATH-AD2000X
ATH-L3000
ATH-L5000
ATH-W11R
Beyer DT 880
Beyer DT 480
Beyer T1
Bower&Wilkins P5
Creative Aurvana Live
CA Cascade
Denon D5000
Denon D7000
Fostex T50
Fostex T40
Fostex TH900
Grado HP1000
Grado HP1000V2
Grado PS1
Grado RS1 (button)
Hifiman HE6 4 screw
Hifiman HE6 6 screw
Hifiman HE5
Hifiman HE500
Hifiman HE5LE
Hifiman HE4
Hifiman HE1000 og
Hifiman Jade (He Audio Jade)
MS Pro
JVC HP-DX1000
JVC HP-DX2000
KOSS ESP-950
Nightowl
Oppo PM-1
Onkyo A800
Philips shp9500
Rotel RH-930
Sansui SS100
Sennheiser HD250 1
Sennheiser HD250 2
Sennheiser HD540 300ohm GOLD
Sennheiser HD540 600omh GOLD
Sennheiser HD580 1995 Jubilee
Sennheiser HD600 og version black paper
Sennheiser HD650 og version
Sennheiser HD800 og version 1-999 versions
Sennheiser HE90
Sennheiser HE60
Sony Qualia 010
Sony MDR F1
Sony MDR-R10 light bass
Sony MDR R10 Heavy bass
Sony MDR-CD3000
Sony MDR-CD1700
Sony MDR-M900
Sony SA5000
Sony SA3000
Sony V6
Sony V7
Ultrasone Edition 10
Ultrasone Edition 12
Shure 1540
STAX 007MK1 71xxx
STAX 007MK1 70xxx
STAX OMEGA
STAX Lambda pro
STAX Sigma pro
STAX Lambda Nova Signature
STAX SR-Mk3 Pro
STAX 4070
STAX 404
STAX 009
Yamaha HP-1

You are welcome,
Pro

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 3:24 AM Post #2 of 47
Nice list, but I'm not sure what the reference point is? Your subjective taste? What the internet says about them? Something completely different?
Would love a bit more context 🙂

Jan 6, 2024 at 7:27 AM Post #3 of 47
Not sure about this list either. None of this stuff is S-Tier on anyone’s list but maybe they’re on yours?

I see maybe 10 relevant headphones and the rest are pretty dated and get destroyed by much newer releases.

Jan 6, 2024 at 8:00 AM Post #4 of 47
The list is a masterclass selection to collect them all.

Lets use a few examples,

Creative Aurvana Live, for example, is better than the whole list. Now why? Because it has a sound frequency that others do not have. A unique feature that the Sony R10 does not have, which is a perfect natural V shape that is unique to the Creative Live design. It is the king of its own domain.

Another example is the worst headphones ever. Ultrasound Edition 10 is better than all because it is a hyper HD800. A headphone that extends so far, that the treble must be dialed back to balance the rest. With this, only the 10 does it best. It is the king of its own domain. There is no such thing as other headphones are better than other headphones. That thinking is the awful noobs on summits-fi with their noob thinking.

Outdated headphones have features that newer modern ones lack, replace, and didn't include or could not. And vice-versa.

Im just picking random headphones off my list: the Sony V6 from the 1980s has the studio monitor sound that all music from the 80s and 90s used to record and test their songs. It is the king of its own domain. It's not outdated. Its role was enough to get the job done correctly. I still use it, for everything. Used it yesterday on the PS5 controller to game with, and it was perfect.

Another one, the Sennheiser HD540 600omh GOLD, another example is also better than all Sennheiser headphones, including HE90. Now why? It contains A unique frequency within its shell that other headphones left behind.

99% of posters on summit-fi are noobs posting as veterans. They have no idea what a frequency is, what a capture sound is, and what a reference for its own design means.

Jan 6, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #5 of 47
99% of posters on summit-fi are noobs posting as veterans. They have no idea what a frequency is, what a capture sound is, and what a reference for its own design means.
Just a wild guess here: You are part of the 1% that really knows how it's all going down, right?

Have fun with your list, I hope you get to collect them all and enjoy them the way you like, and with all of your knowledge, that all of us other noobs don't possess.

Noob out.

Jan 6, 2024 at 8:24 AM Post #6 of 47
Absolutely ridiculous take. Especially the last paragraph. You’re essentially calling everyone who doesn’t agree with you wrong and unknowledgeable.

It’s statements like this that make the community toxic and difficult for someone who’s new to the hobby to enter and engage with community members.

You’re more than welcome to share your opinions on a few headphones that you like but using words like S-tier on a list that for the most part is outdated and irrelevant in todays market makes you sound silly and out of touch.

Like I said in my previous comment I see maybe 10-15 relevant headphones here and most of this list is unattainable because their age.

Jan 6, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #7 of 47
Let me continue explaining Protoss philosophy.

Sony MDR-CD1700 is a bio-driver that sounds better than the R10 in other regions of the frequency that the R10 could not deliver. It is the king of its own domain.

The Hifiman HE6 6 screw, is Hifiman's best headphone they made. It is a linear, clear, clean, and powerful sound. A real, powerful sound that becomes its own king of its domain.

Beyerdynamic DT 880, or all Beyer headphones, almost always have an excellent balance frequency that's too hot on the treble regions but perfect across the field—a king in its own domain.

Oppo PM-1 is a crystal clear liquid sound that comes across as balanced across, which the STAX 009/ 009S and even the X9000 could not do. STAX, with its resolution and technicalities, will outclass the PM1 but will miss the perfect smooth liquid sound. The PM-1 is the king of its own domain.

Audeze LCD 2 og version (pre-fazor) and LCD3 Dark Prince are the best of the best of what they do. The exact opposite of HD800, STAX 009, and all the headphones that were released that time, 2008-2012. The Dark Prince, with its dark tonality, features that HD800, 009, Susvara, and newer brighter headphones of 2024 will never obtain. The Dark Prince is its own king within its own domain.

@Kevintj604
Its okay to be brainwashed by summit-fi, but learn the truth. There is no such thing as outdated headphones, or so call relevant headphones. Just track them down. I did, why cant you?

Jan 6, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #8 of 47
Here is a list, mainly limited to current production and planar/dynamics. Retail price is included although often much cheaper on secondary market.

Denon AH-D9200 (C) $1600 Dynamic
Sennhesier HD800S $1600 Dynamic
AKG K812 $1600 Dynamic
AKG K872 (C) $1600 Dynamic
Fostex TH900mk2 (C) $1800 Dynamic
Sony MDR-Z1R (C) $1800 Dynamic
Hedd Audio HEDDphone 1 $1800 AMT
Hedd Audio HEDDphone 2 $2000 AMT
Sennheiser HD820 (C) $2000 Dynamic
Hifiman Audivina (C) $2000 Planar
Hifiman HE1000se $2000 Planar
Mod House Tungsten $2000 Planar
Spirit Torino Radiante 1706 (C) $2400 Dynamic
ZMF Verite $2500 Dynamic
ZMF Atrium $2500 Dynamic
Rosson Audio RAD-0 $2600 Planar
Austrian Audio Composer $2700 Dynamic
Focal Stellia (C) $3000 Dynamic
Meze Empyrean II $3000 Planar
Erzetich Charybdis $3250 Planar
ZMF Caldera $3700 Planar
Kennerton Rognir (C) $3800 Planar
T+A Solitaire P-SE $3900 Planar
DCA Stealth (C) $4000 Planar
DCA Expanse $4000 Planar
Meze Elite $4000 Planar
Final Audio D8000 Pro $4300 Planar
Abyss Diana TC $4500 Planar
Audeze LCD5 $4500 Planar
Final Audio D8000 Pro LE $4800 Planar
Yamaha YH-5000SE $5000 Planar
Focal Utopia 2022 Model $5000 Dynamic
Spirit Torino Pulsar Alum. $5500 Dynamic
Hifiman Susvara $6000 Planar
Abyss 1266 Phi TC $6000 Planar
T+A Solitaire P $6900 Planar

Jan 6, 2024 at 8:57 AM Post #9 of 47
Let me continue explaining Protoss philosophy.

Sony MDR-CD1700 is a bio-driver that sounds better than the R10 in other regions of the frequency that the R10 could not deliver. It is the king of its own domain.

The Hifiman HE6 6 screw, is Hifiman's best headphone they made. It is a linear, clear, clean, and powerful sound. A real, powerful sound that becomes its own king of its domain.

Beyerdynamic DT 880, or all Beyer headphones, almost always have an excellent balance frequency that's too hot on the treble regions but perfect across the field—a king in its own domain.

Oppo PM-1 is a crystal clear liquid sound that comes across as balanced across, which the STAX 009/ 009S and even the X9000 could not do. STAX, with its resolution and technicalities, will outclass the PM1 but will miss the perfect smooth liquid sound. The PM-1 is the king of its own domain.

Audeze LCD 2 og version (pre-fazor) and LCD3 Dark Prince are the best of the best of what they do. The exact opposite of HD800, STAX 009, and all the headphones that were released that time, 2008-2012. The Dark Prince, with its dark tonality, features that HD800, 009, Susvara, and newer brighter headphones of 2024 will never obtain. The Dark Prince is its own king within its own domain.

@Kevintj604
Its okay to be brainwashed by summit-fi, but learn the truth. There is no such thing as outdated headphones, or so call relevant headphones. Just track them down. I did, why cant you?
Why are you talking about yourself in the third person?

The majority of this list is over 10 years old with none of these readily accessible in the current market so good luck finding these. Most of this list are unicorn's that you’ll never find in mint condition and might pop up a couple times a year on the second hand market or in obscure shops in Japan or Singapore. On top of that between pad wear, transducer age & unit variance most of this list won’t sound the way it was originally intended. The LCD2 Pre-Fazor 2.2 for example shipped with vegan pads that they no longer produce and no units have anymore. If a transducer fails Audeze won’t service it either. The same rule applies to all of the Sony’s on this list as well as most of the HiFiMan’s.

Nobody here is brainwashed either and obviously nobody shares your opinion. It’s a highly subjective hobby so you might think something sounds good and the next person might think it’s trash. That doesn’t automatically make you correct and other people wrong. I’d also stop saying things like “learn the truth” it makes you sound really stupid and cult minded and polarizes you from the community.

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #10 of 47
@Kevintj604

#2500 on you. 😆
Final post 📫 probably.

It's okay to be a noob. Like summit-fi peeps. Just like the poster above yours.

I wrote in my first sentence on first post 📫
"Each headphone has a unique feature that makes it an S-tier status"
Could of and should of mention others not on list also features unique features that others are missing but I'm hoping people can put 2 cells together to understand that.
(Remember there will never ever be a 1 headphone to rule them all)

99% of summit-fi and you of course 😆 are lost and misled.
I repeat: All headphones are equal and unique. All gear has achieved high fidelity that is faithful to its own design; hence all are equals.

You won't know this but most copy my gear style.
obtain all my gear and ideas.

#2500 done ✔️

Your welcome,
Pro

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #11 of 47
@Kevintj604

#2500 on you. 😆
Final post 📫 probably.

It's okay to be a noob. Like summit-fi peeps. Just like the poster above yours.

I wrote in my first sentence on first post 📫
"Each headphone has a unique feature that makes it an S-tier status"
Could of and should of mention others not on list also features unique features that others are missing but I'm hoping people can put 2 cells together to understand that.
(Remember there will never ever be a 1 headphone to rule them all)

99% of summit-fi and you of course 😆 are lost and misled.
I repeat: All headphones are equal and unique. All gear has achieved high fidelity that is faithful to its own design; hence all are equals.

You won't know this but most copy my gear style.
obtain all my gear and ideas.

#2500 done ✔️

Your welcome,
Pro
Out of all the interactions I’ve ever had on HeadFi this has to be the weirdest.

I actually think you sound like an AI version of the headphone hobby memes and I’m not sure if you’re real or just trolling for clicks and posts.

I’ve never met someone so self involved and misaligned.

For those who stumble upon this ridiculous back and forth use the Protoss philosophy (whatever the hell that means) as an example of how not to engage in the community.

Jan 6, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #14 of 47
Jan 6, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #15 of 47
Why are you talking about yourself in the third person?
Yeah, and I don't want to be in most of the "domains" that some of these headphones are claimed to be "King's" of.
The majority of this list is over 10 years old with none of these readily accessible in the current market so good luck finding these. Most of this list are unicorn's that you’ll never find in mint condition and might pop up a couple times a year on the second hand market or in obscure shops in Japan or Singapore. On top of that between pad wear, transducer age & unit variance most of this list won’t sound the way it was originally intended. The LCD2 Pre-Fazor 2.2 for example shipped with vegan pads that they no longer produce and no units have anymore. If a transducer fails Audeze won’t service it either. The same rule applies to all of the Sony’s on this list as well as most of the HiFiMan’s.
Nice points.
Nobody here is brainwashed either and obviously nobody shares your opinion. It’s a highly subjective hobby so you might think something sounds good and the next person might think it’s trash. That doesn’t automatically make you correct and other people wrong. I’d also stop saying things like “learn the truth” it makes you sound really stupid and cult minded and polarizes you from the community.
There are all sorts here - if one designates themselves all knowing - then all the rest seem either clueless or followers.

That's an unproductive and lonely place to be. Hope that doesn't extend to your life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back