Headphone Choice
Jul 28, 2008 at 6:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

cevar_blackwing

New Head-Fier
I'm a newbie and I don't have a lot of experience when it comes to headphones. I want to purchase one but I can't decide what to buy because I don't understand a thing about their specs. I don't know how to measure the sound quality and anything else that I need to consider.

Right now, these are the choices I have, which are available in a local store near me. My budget is low so I don't want to make a mistake, that is why I want the experts to choose the best one for me.

Sennheiser HD201
Pioneer SE-MJ5
Philips SHP2700
Philips SBC HP840
Philips SHP8500

I'm planning to use it on my computer. Can anyone rank it according to sound quality/performance, comfort, bang-for-the-buck.

Please help me... I plan on buying one in a few hours.

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #2 of 11
Do you need them to be closed? Does your local store carry the Koss KSC-75?

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #3 of 11
If you can find a pair of Koss KSC-75's, thats where I would start on a low budget. I have no experience with the listed headphones, but the HD201 has a decent review on HeadRoom, so consider that. Hopefully more people will chime in. Good luck to you, and sorry about your wallet!

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #4 of 11
Unfortunately, those are the only ones available that are within my budget. They don't carry the Koss label. I'm not a sound enthusiast(yet) so I'm planning to buy a better one after some time when I start to enjoy listening.

Ok. What do you mean by closed? Is it about the structure?

Thanks.

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #5 of 11
What's your budget? Koss KSC-75s are only around ~$20. They carry them at Radio Shack

Closed headphones are physically closed, sealed. These are intended to isolate sound. Open headphones have an open area, and do not isolate sound at all.

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #6 of 11
A friend has the HD201. Haven't heard 'em myself, but he seems to enjoy them. I do know that they've got the same basic construction as my old HD212, and those were pretty comfy in the price range.

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #8 of 11
Ok. So closed headphones would be better. Radio Shack is out of reach here. And also below is their rank according to price. HD201 being the cheapest.

Sennheiser HD201
Philips SHP2700
Philips SBC HP840
Pioneer SE-MJ5
Philips SHP8500

So I was thinking of getting the SHP8500 since it might probably give more performance because of its price. But looks like most people would prefer the HD201.

Should I get the HD201? It would really be helpful if someone here have tried both the HD201 and SHP8500 and give an idea which is better. By the way, it looks like there are no reviews for SHP8500 floating around the net.

Jul 28, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #9 of 11
Singapore, doh!

Well go with the HD201s then. On Amazon there is only 1 review, while the HD201s have 224. Price wise I'm sure that's why obviously more HD201s have been sold. And they've already been mentioned in this thread.

Jul 28, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #10 of 11
Its a shame you dont have more money to spend.
Isnt Jaben Network right in your area? I think theyre one of the biggest headphone dealers.

Jaben Network

Look at their site. Maybe you can visit them and try some headphones and chose one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #11 of 11
I have no idea of those you've listed...

However... just remember a fundamental axiom... the synergy between the source, amp and phones determines the sound... not the phones.

The best, most expensive phones will sound inferior to much lesser phones, if you don't have the right source and amp to drive them.

Sorry... but it "jes ain't that simple."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back