Headphone Choice Help [Denon AH-D2000]
Dec 17, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just think amping them brings out the best. They sound horrible out of my Macbook, OK from my AV receiver and iPod, but FAN-F'in-TASTIC from my amp. Amping it properly goes a long way.

Judging by your sig, i assume you're using the Little Dot I+, where's the best place to pick up one, ebay?

Dec 17, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #17 of 36
i just plugged my d 7000's into my itouch for the purpose of this thread. first time i ever tried. they actually got very loud, i turned all the way up and hurt my ears,
there was more bass than i though and more punch than i thought, but not near as much as with an amp. the highs were way forward and more prone to sibilance, lows ounded better than highs. i thought it would have sounded worse.

u really need an amp for all denon, otherwise its pointless to use them as you are waisting their full potential. ive also found that even my rsa predator cannot fully amp my 7000 potential but does better than most its size, and sounds pretty good.
i highly reccomend any of the denon's, i prefer my denon to the dx1000 which i also own, the 7000 has more punch and full rich sound and mids, while mids on dx sound funny or hollow, thin at times, at least when compared to my 7000. many have said that there modded denon 2000 sound just as good as the 7000, this dosent surprise me, but ill bet the 7000 mod is pretty i nteresting.

also the denon chord is way too long for portable use, if u go for port, i reccomend modding the 2000 with a shorter chord and getting all the upgraded mods as well, might as well, i really dont like my 7000 chord as it seems to twis alot and i can see this damaging in the long run,,, the 5000 apparently have a much better chord and i would assume the 2000 isnt as bad as the 7000 as far as durability. icannot really reccomend the denon for port unless u mod them with a shorter chord, because if the 2000 chord is as long as the 7000, u will be very annoyed.

i havent tried that amp, but u may wan to look for one witha 1/4 jack for the denon unless u mod that chord to your liking. the lisa III has a 1/4 jack and can amp the denon but it is very expensive.. if u find any other portable amps with 1/4 jacks let me know as this will be interesting. the carat topaz is not a portable but it has a 1/4 jack and a solid dac. u can find them used for 300,, i would buy used as u will have to burn the amp in anyways.

Tallyho!

Dec 17, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #18 of 36
Maybe your macbook or computer your using doesn't provide enough power. My laptop has a 16c battery and my desktop has a 1k watt PSU. Both power my headphones to the same level as amps seem to do. I don't know if it works that way but judging by the lack of sound your getting from yours I'd have to assume so.

Dec 17, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by skidu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Judging by your sig, i assume you're using the Little Dot I+, where's the best place to pick up one, ebay?

yeah, eBay. Search for Wii on bing.com and then follow the ebay link to get an additional 8% off. Make sure you're buying from little dot. They (He) provide great customer service. My only complaint about the Little Dot is that they are prone to interference (from my computer or cell phone). But nothing at all to complain about the sound. I guess the hybrid of solid state and tubes works well for the D2000. Swap out the opamp (10 bucks max) then get some different tubes (I have some Mullard tubes if you want) and you'll have a very nice amp that brings out the best in a set of Denons or Grados.

Dec 17, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #20 of 36
like I have said before, I am using these for electronic music mainly, but I do listen to a lot of genres of music.

I asked in the SRH840 thread, they said the D2000's are more boomy and if your looking for a tighter sound to go with the SRH840.

Dec 17, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #21 of 36
i've recently picked up both srh840 and d2000, and while the denons are a little "boomy" compared to the shure, they're also (to my ears) much more detailed, extended in the highs and lows, and clear.

while i enjoy the shures, they seem to have a more laid-back, veiled sound than the denons. the shures have better isolation, by far, which is important for me since i listen in a noisy office.

i listen to a lot of electronica with both cans. i prefer the detailed, bass-extended denons, but for some music, the bass is just too much and i'll reach for the more relaxed shures. they're both good cans for electronica and i don't think there's a clear winner between the two. i personally don't like tons and tons of bass -- if i did, then the denons *would* be the clear winner!
happy_face1.gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #22 of 36
I dont own the 840 and denon d2000 but I have heard both them.

I would pick D2000 over Shure 840.
D2000 are much more comfortable and I loved them immediately when I first heard them.
I would say they are fun and hard hitting.

I also almost buy the 840 several months ago.
I went to the shop to audition them but I was dissapointed.
The 840 sounded boring and they 're not comfortable at least on my head.
That's my opinion and if you have a chance you should try them both cuz they are so different.

Dont worry about the amp,I think you will be ok for a while for both D2000 and Shure 840 for listenning to them out of ipod or computer.They are enough good unamped.

Dec 18, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #23 of 36
can't thank you enough for everyones comments, extremely helpful!

While I may be using this on portable devices, these headphones will not be used out of the house.. hell they will probably never make it out of my room. lol

So I don't intend on constantly rolling up and stretching out the cord. I've seen somewhere that the cord is stiff, is this true?

Its not really an issue just something I was wondering.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #24 of 36
It's not as stiff as some of the more expensive interconnects (like my Tara Labs which hold shape even after I unplug them). I'm at work now, but from what I recall, you can coil the cord within a 3-4 inch diameter.

Dec 21, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #25 of 36
I can get these for $245.10 american. Thats after the UPS 3-5 day $30 shipping. Then Im going to guess another $20 or so because I am Canadian..

It seems these headphones are constantly dropping in price. I won't have the money till sometime after christmas, would it be wise to wait?

Dec 21, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #26 of 36
The price on the Denons (on Amazon.com, at least) has been constantly fluctuating. The lowest I've seen is $199 US, but if you are from Canada, you cannot purchase from there, anyway. Where, from the States, have you seen the D2000's at the aforementioned price, DJPixcell? I've already got a pair of D2000's on the way to me in Edmonton, but it's always helpful to know your good sources... Welcome to Head-fi!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #28 of 36
Hey Dylan

Off topic, I remember replying to your comment on a Shure SE115 unboxing on youtube about a year ago (i was TokyozzFinest), and now I find you on Head-Fi xD
Another coincidence, I happen to be from Toronto too (I think my friend knows you, do you go to Mt. Carmel?)
And ANOTHER coincidence, I happen to be looking at the same headphones as you lol

Anyhow, back on topic. I don't know why people are saying that the D2000 NEED an amp, because if you look at the specs, they're only 25ohms (not sure about min input pwr tho)
confused_face_2.gif

You should also look into the new Shure SRH750DJ (I've been considering them too) they are apparently more bass heavy than the 840, and they're alot easier to drive based on the specs, so you probably won't need an amp) soundstage isn't as great although...
I have tried the D2000, but never the 750s or the 840s. Nevertheless, I have done ALOT of research on all of them, as I am sure you have.

Good luck with your choice
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #30 of 36
For around $50 you can get a PA2V2 amp to drive the D2000's - - - and I'm sure there are many other portable amps that would suffice.
And on a second note - I do not support the noise cancelling technology - artificial and prone to issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back