Headphone cables more like IC's or Speaker Cables?
Aug 5, 2005 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

recca

100+ Head-Fier
When doing a recable, should you use wire/geometry that is more like speaker or interconnects? It seems like most are small guage twister pair with minimal shielding.

Aug 5, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the replies. Would it be possible to use a coax like the VenHaus Pulsars? I made some IC's with those and really liked the sound.

Aug 5, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by recca
Thanks for the replies. Would it be possible to use a coax like the VenHaus Pulsars? I made some IC's with those and really liked the sound.

it would certianly be the first I have heard of or seen... give it a try!

Aug 5, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by recca

The lack of flexibility, weight and thickness of coax make it a less than ideal choice.

Aug 7, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #7 of 7
After building 5 different headhone cables of varying wire type and size, and 4 different IC's, I've found that IC's aren't nearly as sensative to changes in wire as headphone cables are. Headphone cables seem to be especially sensative to wire size, where as wire size didn't affect the IC's sound as much.
As far as the coax goes, give it a try... I've had great success using wire types and sizes that the experts said wouldn't work, and some of my poorer sounding cables have been made up the one's that they said would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back